Wanting to get into fishing, looking for guidance.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captaingooch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I have fished a few times and it's something I've been wanting to get into, pops never really fished so I dont really know the ropes. I have a decent little fishing pole, where do I start? I dont have a boat and I live in the Baton Rouge area, but im willing to drive up to 2 hours away from a day.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    First decide where you want to fish.

Salt Water or Fresh Water?
    Inshore or Offshore?

Then decide what you want to catch.

Then you pick your equipment accordingly.
    Appropriate Baits for the type of fish your are looking to catch.

If you just want to pond fish, you can find plenty around you.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Start by getting a basic fishing license for both salt and fresh water.

Make a drop shot rig (medium sized sinker), 6 or 8 size Carlisle hook (I prefer Carlisle hooks because of the longer shank and they are easier to remove from a swallowed hook).

A drop shot rig (sinker tied to end of line, make a 3 or 4 inch hook loop about 7 - 9 inches above the sinker (keeps your bait off of the bottom).

On a clear day, with preferably a southern prevailing wind, drive to the Lakefront in New Orleans, or the point at West End. Get a pound of fresh shrimp from one of the seafood places in Bucktown for bait. With this set up, cut the shrimp into pieces along the segment lines and put one piece on the hook. Cast as far as you can and let the bait go to the bottom. Keep your line taught, but do not drag the sinker along the bottom. If the conditions are just marginally right, I guarantee you will get bites from croakers, freshwater catfish, drum, etc. If you are lucky you may catch trout, flounder, or redfish. Unfortunately, you may also catch hardhead catfish too, but that's the way it goes. Bring extra hooks and sinkers, there are snags too.

That is as basic as it gets. If you want to get adventurous, bring a small cork and try to float your bait just over the rocks or near the seawall, and sheepshead will be more than willing to bite too.

Good luck! It's too bad your dad never took you fishing. It's one of the best memories I have. I have learned to be an exceptional fisher because of him bringing me and my brothers/sister.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    go on a trout/redfish charter out of hopedale/delacroix,...let the madness and obsession begin....
    really go fishing...then see where it leads

Google Mark Munson...most excellent guide

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom