"Best" AR Gunsmith

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Who might be considered the "best" AR gunsmith, preferably in or around the Northshore? I have some issues with a 308AR I need looked at.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    As much as this one is; I'm sure that was a helpful post....

It usually helps when the OP posts their issue. Most AR problems come from mismatching parts or from out of spec parts. Unless he sheared off the indexing pin, I don't see what a true Gunsmith is needed for. He's asking who the best person for the job is, but it's difficult to recommend someone for the job, when you don't know what the job actually is. :hs:

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    I have a 308AR, what's your issues?

I didn't want to write a tome, but here we go. I have a home built Mega Arms upper/lower with an 18" Mega 1:10 barrel (which Rainier Arms headspaced to my bolt, I've never checked it), a hardened arms phosphate BCG and a Syrac GenII adj. gas block. First time out it functioned perfectly (FGMM 168 BTHP and 7 different handloads all using Sierra 168 BTHP and got it sighted in at 50 yds. Shot about 50-60 rounds. Second time out with reloads function was spotty at best, lots of failure to feed. The rounds would get hung up on the ramps leaving huge triangular dents on the shoulder of the cases. Third time out everything was performing perfectly for about the first 50-60 rounds. Then I started getting the same FTF, cases hung up on the ramp getting the triangular dents in the same part of the shoulder. I got tired after a few more rounds and stopped.
    Got to think about what is going on here. Problems occur whether I use a Magpul or an ACS mag. The gas block I adjusted as per Syrac instructions: screw all the way in, 1 1/2 turns out, one click out until the rifle cycles, then an additional click out. I tried further adjusting the gas block out, no help. Perhaps I should have adjusted it in.
    It could be me, or the rifle could be heating up and the tolerances stacking to cause problems, the ejector spring might be too strong. Perhaps the barrel is coming loose, I doubt that but you never know. When I installed it, I tightened and loosened it three times, then torqued about 60 ft-lbs.
    Accuracy is somewhat strange as well. At 50 yds. I get excellent accuracy, 10 shots basically touching. Move out to 100 yds and I get a shotgun pattern.
    This is why I hope to get a knowledgable AR gunsmith to look it over and see if there is something stupid I did during the build.
    Thanks for any input you might have.

Last edited:

lattin1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    It could be the reloads but it sounds like you're short stroking. Does the bolt lock back when you empty a magazine? If so it means your gun is under gassed. Open the gas block up. If it still won't cycle its most likely because the gas block and gas port aren't aligned. Any particular reason you're using an adjustable gas block with you're .308? Unless you're running it suppressed there's not really any benefit to it and really all your doing is adding one more variable into the equation.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    also check your buffer/spring combo. 308 buffers are shorter, and I used one that wouldn't grab the next round. I swapped it out for a POF specific buffer and it has been functioning 100% since. Also as far as groups, mine was shooting crappy groups with cheap ammo (given), swapped over to some 175 gr silver state armory rounds, and it tightened up considerably.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    also check your buffer/spring combo. 308 buffers are shorter, and I used one that wouldn't grab the next round. I swapped it out for a POF specific buffer and it has been functioning 100% since. Also as far as groups, mine was shooting crappy groups with cheap ammo (given), swapped over to some 175 gr silver state armory rounds, and it tightened up considerably.

What brand? Some of the stuff out there is complete ****!

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    So it was working fine until you started using reloads?

Do you bother to read? This is why I didn't want to air this issue, I simply wanted the name of a competent AR gunsmith. The rifle has worked just fine with my reloads. Something else is coming into play here.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Do you bother to read? This is why I didn't want to air this issue, I simply wanted the name of a competent AR gunsmith. The rifle has worked just fine with my reloads. Something else is coming into play here.

I̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶c̶e̶.̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶o̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶e̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶"̶s̶p̶o̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶s̶t̶.̶"̶ ̶N̶o̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶l̶t̶y̶.̶ Just don't be salty :rofl:

Load a mag without the upper attached, and check the bolt catch and magazine catch. If that's fine, I'd have to agree with lattin1.

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    "Best" AR Gunsmith

I read it, twice. You never mentioned the reloads working just fine, you said it was "spotty at best." No need to get salty.

Load a mag without the upper attached, and check the bolt catch and magazine catch. If that's fine, I'd have to agree with lattin1.

Is this the part that said it worked fine the first time?? DaveM, does it look like it to you??? If people get "salty" with you Dave, it's most likely due to your arrogant attitude.
    34ab9942cc88816854928d7b2ec5a508.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom