NFA Gun Trust Setup

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Hello all. I'm sure this has been asked before, so please excuse me if has already been covered. I'm very new to the Class III world and I would like to setup an NRA gun trust to purchase suppressors and make form 1 suppressors. Anyone know of any gun trust lawyers around the New Orleans area? Do I even need a lawyer for this? And how much does this typically cost to get done?

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I had mine done by JCCypress, who is a lawyer on here. Everyone I've heard from seems happy with what they get. I am. Got two stamps approved so far.
    Lawyer drafted trusts are typically in the $300 range.
    Be sure to check out silencertalk.com , lot of good technical info on there.
    Also, you don't necessarily need a lathe: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?140750-Homemade-Suppressor

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I had mine done by JCCypress, who is a lawyer on here. Everyone I've heard from seems happy with what they get. I am. Got two stamps approved so far.
    Lawyer drafted trusts are typically in the $300 range.
    Be sure to check out silencertalk.com , lot of good technical info on there.
    Also, you don't necessarily need a lathe: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?140750-Homemade-Suppressor

Thanks!

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Check out Joseph R Cataldie Esq. He's a sponsor on this site. Around $300 for the trust. I did the trust in Jan, just received my first stamp for my SBR build on Tue, and had my lower engraved today at West Bank engraving. If you're building an upper submit the form online at https://www.atfonline.gov/EForms/fa...2504096837938774&_adf.ctrl-state=rm05l1yav_39. You'll need a Mozilla browser for the ATF site. Silencer Shop was the easiest to order a suppressor as they take of everything and ship it to a local FFL http://www.silencershop.com/.

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    +1 for Kenny at Meplat Group. He has an awesome price for the trust if you buy a can at the same time.

I can't get in touch with him. Tried to call a few times, left a message, and sent a text.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Coyote Gunworks LLC
    $95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DISCLAIMER

COYOTE RIFLEWORKS IS NOT A LAW FIRM AND CANNOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS CONCERNING NFA TRUSTS, WHAT THEY ARE, WHAT THEY DO, AND HOW THEY WORK, YOU ARE URGED TO SEEK THE ADVICE OF A COMPETENT ATTORNEY IN YOUR STATE, OR PURCHASE THE PREMIUM NFA TRUST GIVING YOU ACCESS TO A LICENSED TEXAS ATTORNEY.

TRUST

Basic NFA Trust $95.00 Standard NFA Trust for those who are knowledgeable about the NFA process and utilizing a trust.

Premium NFA Trust $169.00 Premium NFA Trust with access to a licensed Texas attorney for support and custom options.

Change Fee $5.00

NFA Trust Upgrade to Premium $85.00 Upgrade option to Premium NFA Trust for existing customers.

$169 if you want access to a TX attorney, which won't do you much good for a trust in LA.

It's not much more to use any of the 3 LA attorneys listed above. Then you have a trust drawn up by an attorney here in LA and have access to him for all your questions.

The myth of "do-it-yourself" Gun Trusts.
    NFA firearms are highly regulated by the ATF, and possession of these items outside of the strict legal requirements can land you in federal prison. These items are expensive, the application process is tedious, and the approval wait times are often several months.

So, why would someone skimp a few bucks and seek registration through a flimsy "Trust" template that they found on the internet or got from their gun store?

I recently received a "trust template" from a client, who asked me to look over it. Apparently, this document has been circulated around the internet as a "gun trust" and unsuspecting folks are submitting applications for NFA items using it. The document/template was drafted as a standard, boilerplate, living trust and makes absolutely no mention of NFA items. It contained conflicting provisions that would suggest shared ownership and registration of these items between multiple persons and entities. There were no provisions as to who can and can't possess the NFA items, nor how the items would be distributed upon the termination of the trust. There were several other major issues in the document and frankly, the document was wholly inadequate for the acquisition of NFA items.

I'm not saying that if one fills in the blanks and submits the template, that the ATF won't "rubber-stamp" approve it- Their examiners are understaffed and overworked, and they are not lawyers. But, I can tell you that these "do-it-yourself" trust templates will fail when put under a microscope. You do not want to be left unprotected should circumstances change either in my own unique situation, or in the manner in which these items are regulated.

Much like you would not build a $1500 rifle and mount a $30, "Made in China" scope on it, your gun trust is not the area in which to cut corners. If you needed surgery, you wouldn't start combing the internet for cheap knives to do it yourself, you would call a doctor.

If you are thinking of purchasing NFA items, speak with a Louisiana attorney about whether establishing a valid NFA Gun Trust is right for you.
    http://www.laguntrusts.com/why-us.html

BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    I've used my trust created by Coyote over a dozen times and have never had any issues with anything. They are also great at helping out with any questions or concerns you might have.
    I just wanted to offer the man a cheaper alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Looking for an update on this thread, needing a new trust and will be transferring items from an existing trust.

Is Jim's still using the same guy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Looking for an update on this thread, needing a new trust and will be transferring items from an existing trust.

Is Jim's still using the same guy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I just wondering: Do you have to pay the $200.00 again for moving them?

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    For those of you west of the Atchafalaya Basin, please keep me in mind for NFA Gun Trusts - I have been getting referrals from Sentry Defense and will get referrals from Louisiana Range Gun Club, for all of their customers needing trusts.

I am a 23 year litigation attorney, an FFL/SOT, and a BayouShooter site sponsor.

George Armbruster
    Armbruster & Associates, APLC
    Armbruster Armory, LLC
    332 East Farrel Road, Suite D
    Lafayette, LA 70508

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I thought most of the benefits of the trusts had been wiped away a few years back. What are the current benefits of setting up a trust these days?

Top Bottom