AR-9 ? Anyone build/shoot one?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Anyone have experience with AR's dedicated to take Glock mags? I've heard some call them AR-9's. They look like nice setups to SBR.
    I was curious about feedback, good and bad. Thank you.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a dedicated colt mag lower that's a 3 lug sbr. Runs 100% with the ammo I feed it.

Previous glock lowers when I built mine has had issues with broken bolt hold open but I believe on the newer frames that has been remedied.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    B3039A22-D536-45DB-A94B-ED8F48F01B06_zpsepikt3nt.jpg

Here's a picture of mine btw. DDLES colt SMG lower, CMMG upper and bolt, 4.5 inch TROS barrel, Tros 3 lug conversion, AAC evo9 suppressor, AAC TRIAD mount, Aimpoint pro, Geissele trigger. Seekins 10 inch MCSR, spikes 9mm buffer.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    They are awesome.
    Got a 10" pistol now and waiting on a JP rifle to come in. Had a 16" Rock River but sold it. guy offered me too much money, I couldn't say no. The 10" is also a RR and never had any problems out of it. I've used Metalform, C-Products, ASC and Uzi mags, with both the RR block and the Hahn top-drop block and never had any problems with either set-up. We've sold a couple of the PSA versions a have not heard of any issues with these as well. The JP will take the Glock mags.

Bryan

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Got the PSA milled (Hybrid)lower for Glock mags and their complete (hybrid ) upper for $700 total. I like it just fine. Accurate and reliable. No problems to date with 5 types of ammo including heavy and light subs, HP's and run of the mill cheap ball. I'll get some pics after my stretch of night shifts.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I was considering building a AR9 a while back. The latest PSA kits that take Glock mags sure do make it tempting. But I keep talking myself out of it, bc it won't serve any real purpose for me other than a fun range gun (already have SBR's in 5.56 & 300BLK).
    This (below) is also very tempting as well...CZ Scorpion EVO3. This SBR'd with a stock would be fun.
    c1d7cb4c231a1654a19cd8fc275d1ed6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was considering building a AR9 a while back. The latest PSA kits that take Glock mags sure do make it tempting. But I keep talking myself out of it, bc it won't serve any real purpose for me other than a fun range gun (already have SBR's in 5.56 & 300BLK).
    This (below) is also very tempting as well...CZ Scorpion EVO3. This SBR'd with a stock would be fun.
    c1d7cb4c231a1654a19cd8fc275d1ed6.jpg

Yes indeed

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...pion-922R-stock-kit&highlight=CZ+scorpion+Evo

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We had a chance to shoot both the Sig MPX and the CZ Scorpion this past Sunday, thanks to Mr Gump at the TANGI match, both shot everything fed them but the CZ just felt better. The Sig had you all cramped up, the stock was very short and had your strong hand very close to your shoulder. The CZ gave you more room to work with. Just my 2 cents worth. Don't know how well they will work in the PCC matches but I would imagine we will find out very soon.

Beauxdog

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    We had a chance to shoot both the Sig MPX and the CZ Scorpion this past Sunday, thanks to Mr Gump at the TANGI match, both shot everything fed them but the CZ just felt better. The Sig had you all cramped up, the stock was very short and had your strong hand very close to your shoulder. The CZ gave you more room to work with. Just my 2 cents worth. Don't know how well they will work in the PCC matches but I would imagine we will find out very soon.

Beauxdog

Yea, the telescoping stock isn't as long as I had hoped. They make adapters where you can run a regular buffer tube and stock, I just haven't decided if I wanna go that route. The Sig I think will be a little more comfortable in that configuration if you're used to the AR platform. The CZ is just fun to shoot and lightweight along with nearly half the price. Once I shoot them more I'm going to use one as a PCC gun for USPSA and the other I'm gonna shorten the barrel and keep my Octane 45K attached and will be another home defense/fun gun

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about the SIG and the CZ, but after just buying a few cans (and those nifty stamps) I was thinking of getting a 9mm lower to SBR.

Noob, nice looking build.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about the SIG and the CZ, but after just buying a few cans (and those nifty stamps) I was thinking of getting a 9mm lower to SBR.

Noob, nice looking build.

Thanks. It's gone through a lot of changes over the years I've had it. Changed the handguards twice, added 3 lug, different sights etc. but right now it's just going to stay that way.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Wow, Magdump...you've got that thing decked out! How is the weight?

I feel like the pistol is a little on the fat side as it comes, but it's well balanced I guess due to the 7" barrel. But the add ons didn't bring it up that much. The little carry handle cheapie green dot is lightweight and the stock is minimal. I've since changed to a shorter vertical grip up front.
    I still like my AR better, but with the trigger job on the Evo, it's a joy to shoot.

The AR is a tad lighter. With Troy flip ups for sights, Magpul k+ grip and the stock shown it feels like 5 pounds loaded.

5a32f1b4804a82fe716b86d5516732b2.jpg
    f7ff4a9927bca66a2a4d6d6a52e5a10b.jpg

Last edited:

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I feel like the pistol is a little on the fat side as it comes, but it's well balanced I guess due to the 7" barrel. But the add ons didn't bring it up that much. The little carry handle cheapie green dot is lightweight and the stock is minimal. I've since changed to a shorter vertical grip up front.
    I still like my AR better, but with the trigger job on the Evo, it's a joy to shoot.

The AR is a tad lighter. With Troy flip ups for sights, Magpul k+ grip and the stock shown it feels like 5 pounds loaded.

5a32f1b4804a82fe716b86d5516732b2.jpg
    f7ff4a9927bca66a2a4d6d6a52e5a10b.jpg

I agree with the CZ trigger job. I put the HB industry spring kit and theta trigger and it's much better than my MPX stock trigger

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a 10" and a 16" 9mm New Frontier Armory billet glock mag LRBHO builds and love them both. Also have 4 extars in 9mm coming in to try them out soon as well. The NFA builds are a bit heavy, and I'm contemplating turning the barrels down thinner, but they run very very well. I will chronograph them soon

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom