Looking hard at the 277 Wolverine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Been thinking about building an AR for hog hunting and the .277 Wolverine has caught my eye.
    Other then the barrel everything else is the same.
    Has any one got some hands on time with the .277 Wolverine?

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Candyman this is the first ive heard of this caliber. I did some quick reading on it and it looks pretty promising. Ive actually been in the market for an alternate cal for the ar and have been considering the 6.8 spc2 and 6.5 grendal. My main purpose for this gun will be for my 9 yr old daughters first deer rifle. I want something with a little more knockdown than the 223 offerings but with minimal kick. This seems to be an excellent compromise. Im going to be doing some more research on this one. Would like to hear your thoughts of it if you pick one up.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    6.5 grendal is very interesting round in the AR platform. Stellar long distance performance, 30 to 40% greater energy than the 5.56mm round at the muzzle, and it only gets better down range. And now there is low cost russian steel case ammo to be had....at $6-8 a box for target/plinking/whatever. Another Alexander Arms powerhouse for the AR.
    Try to find inexpensive ammo for the 6.8 SPC.......good luck. I had one, and a .50 Beowulf.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    A few years ago 6.8 SPC was not cheap by any means. But now you can find plinking ammo for as low as ~$8. then if you turn around and sell the brass you can make about ~$2 or $3 back. I was able to buy Federal XM68GD ammo for around $9 a box at Palmetto and that is a really good round for hunting so ammo is out there if you look.

Disclosure I have a 6.8SPC rifle and have a ton of ammo for it that I have stockpiled. It is a hunting rig and not a blasting rig so ammo lasts me quite awhile. I have a 5.56 for blasting so I do not find the lack of cheap local ammo a big issue.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    shrxfn,

Post a web link where I can buy right now today 6.8 SPC for $9 a box or less. Its currently $14 at Palmetto. Lowest I find at ammoseek is 12.50 a box.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    shrxfn,

Post a web link where I can buy right now today 6.8 SPC for $9 a box or less. Its currently $14 at Palmetto. Lowest I find at ammoseek is 12.50 a box.

I did check before I posted and most sites are out of stock right now. When they are on sale and available I always buy a few boxes for a rainy day. That is why it is not my plinking rifle. Plus you can sell the brass and make some money back so that also lowers the price.

To the OP the Wolverine was wildcatted by guys from the 6.8 forums and it is a very good round from all I have heard. But don't discount the 6.8. From what I have heard if you put an adjustable gas block on it the recoil can be tamed/tailored to be around 556 levels if not less. I have the adj blocks just haven't had the time to put them on and dial them in.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Just got in the Charging Handel for my build. I didn't want to go with a standard CH so I ordered a Strike Industries ARCH-EL Charging Handle.
    For $30 it's not a bad looking CH.

2m3mszs.jpg

2jfk5fc.jpg

I have an upper and 15" hand rail on the way.

The barrel also arrived and I picked up a 5/8-24 three prong flash hider and crush washer.
    16m1shw.jpg

9bgdwy.jpg

aop2l4.jpg

2ng7sqb.jpg

2801fzr.jpg

1zgyyvt.jpg

Swampwater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2018
    Livingston Louisiana
    My son built a Upper receiver with the MDWS 16" barrel for me. We put it on a lower he built with a Geissele trigger & put Leupold 3-9x40 scope on it. Got scope dialed in with JB's 95gr. TTSX. 1st group was 3 shot 1 1/4", 2nd group was 5/8" 3rd group was 7/8", & 4th group was 1 3/8". All at 100 yards off a bench. The 277 so far is accurate with no more recoil than 223 or 300BO. More to come after the weather cools down some & deer season gets here.

Top Bottom