Replacing an attic ladder?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Has anyone ever had to replace an attic ladder? I'm in the process of selling my house and the buyer requested we replace ours. I thought it would be a fairly easy job but it seems as if my attic hatch is smaller than the standard size so there's not a lot of options for ladders. Anyone in the BR area I could call to help me out with this?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Call Holmes Building Supply. They have one on Florida in Denham Springs. They may have to special order the size you need. If you can't find your size you will have to re size the opening to the attic and install a standard size ladder. It will be a royal pain in the @$$, but when done the house will be sold

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Is it broken? If not, I wouldn't bother with it. I doubt they will forgo a house due to attic door.

Btw I replaced mine when I bought my house, guess I have a standard size, was able to pick up a soft close gas piston one from lowes

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    As long as you don't have to cut out any rafters, you may be able to cut the Sheetrock out a little bigger to fit what you need, then just replace the trim around it. I had to do that. I also had to add some 2x4 bracing to mine spanning between the rafters. It was fairly easy.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Not overly complex but a 2 to 3 person job because of the weight and height. My new house had a problem with one tread and a riser. Cutting and replacing the specific pieces while reusing the same hardware was much easier than doing the whole thing. I also insulated it at the same time using sheet insulation and door seals.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    As long as you don't have to cut out any rafters, you may be able to cut the Sheetrock out a little bigger to fit what you need, then just replace the trim around it. I had to do that. I also had to add some 2x4 bracing to mine spanning between the rafters. It was fairly easy.

I made a mistake. I meant ceiling joist, not rafters. This was pointed out to me in a p.m.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Is it broke? I would offer to give them money and let them fix it how they want, tell the you are to busy with trying to move that it would be easier on all parties for them to fix

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    There is a lot of give and take with selling properties. Just say no. Or give them a $300 credit for them to handle it at a later date.
    Has anyone ever had to replace an attic ladder? I'm in the process of selling my house and the buyer requested we replace ours. I thought it would be a fairly easy job but it seems as if my attic hatch is smaller than the standard size so there's not a lot of options for ladders. Anyone in the BR area I could call to help me out with this?

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I replaced the ladder to my attic about 6 months ago after it fell victim to my clumsiness. It's a pain, like 8 hours a pain. Unless you're a master carpenter or have little elves to do your work like Bob Vila I would offer a some cash instead.

Top Bottom