Recommendation on Pepper Spray

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I need a recommendation on a good pepper spray for my wife to keep either in her car or purse.

Despite my efforts, she just won't even consider getting a Concealed Carry Permit despite being an incredible shot. It's against her company's policy to carry on the clock so she is totally closed to the idea.

Problem is she is a Social Worker with a case load of over 40 clients that she must see in their homes once a quarter so she is on the road a LOT! Naturally I worry about her being on the road as much as she is and going into compete strangers homes on first visits with no means of protection of any kind.

Can any of you who are knowledgable on pepper sprays make a recommendation on a good one to buy for her to carry? Thanks!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I can attest that Freeze +P is absolutely horrible to be sprayed with. Make sure she tests it (upwind) so she knows the spray pattern and distance, and be mindful that if you use it, it WILL get on you, and it will suck.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I find the stuff from Sabre to be pretty good. I personally like the gel format as it has a little less chance of backspray depending on environment.

If you are going aerosol, the Freeze +P is pretty good as recommended here.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    After 3 full days of handgun training in the summer I went directly to a 4 hour night class prior to being sprayed. At my request I was the first one sprayed across the eyes and ear to ear with Freeze +P while having to retain a Blue Gun in my holster from an attacker. Being fair skinned and sunburned from 3 days in the sun did not help much as it took me approximately an hour to recover well enough to drive.
    All Hell broke loose again when I took a shower shortly after the initial recovery from being sprayed.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I can tell you, Freeze + P hurts like a b!tch!! But from other recommendations above, you can't go wrong with anything that works better. I've seen people fight through spay, and I've seen them cry like a baby with more snot coming out of them than you would think the human body could produce. I've yet to see anyone fight through Taser. Good thing about "civilian" Taser, is the ride is longer giving her more time to get away.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I can tell you, Freeze + P hurts like a b!tch!! But from other recommendations above, you can't go wrong with anything that works better. I've seen people fight through spay, and I've seen them cry like a baby with more snot coming out of them than you would think the human body could produce. I've yet to see anyone fight through Taser. Good thing about "civilian" Taser, is the ride is longer giving her more time to get away.

I've seen a guy shrug off both and ask for more. But then again, I used to work on the Psych Ward......

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I've seen a guy shrug off both and ask for more. But then again, I used to work on the Psych Ward......

You saw an improper application of the taser not a crazy person fight through it.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    You saw an improper application of the taser not a crazy person fight through it.

It seemed to jolt the guy for a sec then he just pulled the barbs out. They both hit home, the guy was naked. Is it possible the Taser malfunctioned? We were so busy that night, we didn't get much chance to talk with the responding officers about it after we got him restrained. Everyone was just eager to wash up after wrestling the guy down with pepper spray all over him. It was one of those full moon nights I'm sure you know all about.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It seemed to jolt the guy for a sec then he just pulled the barbs out. They both hit home, the guy was naked. Is it possible the Taser malfunctioned? We were so busy that night, we didn't get much chance to talk with the responding officers about it after we got him restrained. Everyone was just eager to wash up after wrestling the guy down with pepper spray all over him. It was one of those full moon nights I'm sure you know all about.

Yeah, probably not enough spread etc with the barbs and no follow up to the calf muscles. If applied properly there is not much a person can do to fight through it due to it all being involuntary.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Yeah, probably not enough spread etc with the barbs and no follow up to the calf muscles. If applied properly there is not much a person can do to fight through it due to it all being involuntary.

That's what I bet it was, the spread. He hit him at about 5-6' away maybe even closer? Perhaps didn't get enough distance to spread out?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    That's what I bet it was, the spread. He hit him at about 5-6' away maybe even closer? Perhaps didn't get enough distance to spread out?

Exactly. Might feel a shock but he won't get the overload to his system that causes him to "lock up". I don't want to get hit with a 2" or 2ft spread regardless lol

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom