Side by Sides

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have seen side by sides for years and they always seemed like fun I just never gave much thought to owning one, but now I'm thinking about buying a RZR or a Commander but I'm not quite ready to plop 15k down on a shiny new machine and I'm "gun-shy" (sorry its a terrible cleche) to buy used because I don't want to buy someone else's problems. Ideally some old fart who owns one cause he can will list a barely farted in machine for a "good price". But pricing on something like this can be quite subjective. I would like to keep the budget below or just over $7000 but I just don't know if that is realistic when looking for a reliable machine. It's purpose will be mostly a fun machine and maybe a little hunting transportation. Any of y'all in to these things and does it sound like reasonable budget for something that will last a long time?

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    You won't find anything used that is worth a crap for 7K. I have had a Commander and currently have a RZR. Both are great machines and fun as hell. What do you plan on doing with it? Work, play, mud, sand? You can get a brand new base RZR for around 10-11K if you shop right.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Like Jdavid1 said used is not the way to go unless you get very lucky. Most of these machines are used and abused before there sold used and maintenance is an after thought. Buddy of mine just bought a Viking and its my favorite so far, lots of room, the engine dosnt dump its heat load in the drivers compartment and it turns on a dime.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    You won't find anything used that is worth a crap for 7K. I have had a Commander and currently have a RZR. Both are great machines and fun as hell. What do you plan on doing with it? Work, play, mud, sand? You can get a brand new base RZR for around 10-11K if you shop right.

Trail riding and misc. goofin around. I dont get into "muddin"/swiming. I may use it to drag my flat bed out of the yard on ocassion. And use it in the woods .

I'm not opposed to new on either bike do you think 10k would get me an 800 or 900 new?

Also: thoughts on power steering?

Last edited:

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Power steering is nice, but not necessary. There are cheaper aftermarket options that work just as good as OEM for the power steering. 10k would get you a 570 and around 11 will get you the 900.

I actually have been thinking about selling my RZR just because I don't use it anymore.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Maintenance and parts are very expensive on these machines. I wouldnt buy used unless I knew the owner. FOr what you are wanting, have a look at the smaller machines, you can get a new one close to your price range. You don't need a 900 unless you want to go fast or impress people.
    Having said that, I bought a ranger etx last year and am happy with it so far. Use it for hunting and general riding. I ride and hunt with others that have everything including 900s, mules, 6 seaters and anything else you can imagine. Other than being slightly faster out of the hole, mine is equal in most every way for half the price. Top speed is 45+, it is lighter than the big machines and it gets places they cant fit.For my use it is perfect and carries 3 people easily. I may look at the pioneer 700-4 later because room for 4 would be nice, but for now this one is fine.
    Power steering is not a must on any that I have ridden, but is nice. Downside is cost to buy and repair it.
    Also, steer clear of the off brand stuff, the build quality isn't there.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Maintenance and parts are very expensive on these machines. I wouldnt buy used unless I knew the owner. FOr what you are wanting, have a look at the smaller machines, you can get a new one close to your price range. You don't need a 900 unless you want to go fast or impress people.
    Having said that, I bought a ranger etx last year and am happy with it so far. Use it for hunting and general riding. I ride and hunt with others that have everything including 900s, mules, 6 seaters and anything else you can imagine. Other than being slightly faster out of the hole, mine is equal in most every way for half the price. Top speed is 45+, it is lighter than the big machines and it gets places they cant fit.For my use it is perfect and carries 3 people easily. I may look at the pioneer 700-4 later because room for 4 would be nice, but for now this one is fine.
    Power steering is not a must on any that I have ridden, but is nice. Downside is cost to buy and repair it.
    Also, steer clear of the off brand stuff, the build quality isn't there.

My online screwing off instead of working yelds:
    RZR 900 trail $11,300 (base)
    RZR 570 trail $8,900 (base)
    Commander 800 $10,300 (base)

One company had an offer button. So I threw out a rediculous offer on a new old stock can-am.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    get an old jeep cherokee and lift it! LOL. I wish I had more input on SxS...but if you consider a XJ let me know.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    When I was shopping in 2015, I went used....bought a 2014 Polaris 800 Ranger from a young adult that was going back to college. I was apprehensive about previous use as it had a 2" lift kit on it. Anyway, after a year of constant use....I have had no problems. It has served well in a flooded deer lease to riding the neighborhood and the beach with the wife to using in the yard as a ladder to set fence post and used the dump bed as a wagon!! It can tow 2K, haul 1K and run well over 50 if you are crazy enough to do so!

The wife even said it was the most useful thing I have bought in a while... :) Oh yeah, when I got it it had 58 hours on it and I got the SXS and new trailer for 10K.

Oh yeah, the lift kit helped when I put 27" mud tires on it for the lease....run factory stock everywhere else.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Don't buy a Coleman from Cabelas. I bought one a couple of years ago. Brought it back and demanded a refund.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I work in the powersports industry. I see the UGLY mechanical side of neglect, abuse, misuse etc.
    DO NOT buy anything made in china!!!
    If at all possible buy new. Only exception would be if you know the owner/history of vehicle.
    Learn to do the basics yourself and don't neglect it.
    Change the engine oil way more often than you think it needs it!!! Filters can last a few oil changes. Oil change frequency is more important than high dollar oil.
    PROPERLY clean and oil the air filter. Foam air filters need FOAM AIR FILTER OIL once the filter is clean and 100% dry.
    Check coolant level often.
    If it will not be used for weeks/months at a time do something to prevent rodents from making it a home. They WILL chew into wiring/connectors and cause problem$!
    I see these types of things daily. People could save themselves lots of headaches and $$$ with a little effort.
    If you have questions please PM me.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I work in the powersports industry. I see the UGLY mechanical side of neglect, abuse, misuse etc.
    DO NOT buy anything made in china!!!
    If at all possible buy new. Only exception would be if you know the owner/history of vehicle.
    Learn to do the basics yourself and don't neglect it.
    Change the engine oil way more often than you think it needs it!!! Filters can last a few oil changes. Oil change frequency is more important than high dollar oil.
    PROPERLY clean and oil the air filter. Foam air filters need FOAM AIR FILTER OIL once the filter is clean and 100% dry.
    Check coolant level often.
    If it will not be used for weeks/months at a time do something to prevent rodents from making it a home. They WILL chew into wiring/connectors and cause problem$!
    I see these types of things daily. People could save themselves lots of headaches and $$$ with a little effort.
    If you have questions please PM me.

I'm heavy on the abuse so I can't afford to neglect.

Tweek

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    madisonville, louisiana
    Picked up a rzr 570 two years, only issues ive had are self inflected lol On another note they are super cheap to rebuild if need be, and easier on parts then bigger bikes. Its by no means a speed demon, but it goes everywhere my friends 900 and 1000s go and usually with less trouble because of the tighter turning radius.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom