EDC holster and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Depends on the gun, My shield is in a comp-tac infidel ultra, my M&P 9mm compact is in a comp-tac CTAC, and my glock 19 is in a comp-tac MTAC or infidel depending on if i need a "quick" on holster, or if I'm carrying one of my red dot equipped glocks.

Reason for the infidel ultra is the shield is slim so the leather doesn't add that much girth that makes it hard to carry yet makes it really comfortable.

My older CTAC just carries the gun so well, holding up the weight of the pistol and keeping it close to my body.

The infidel it just super easy to get on and off, all kydex with a really well made clip.

MTAC is super comfortable but can be cumbersome to put on, and your pants have to have the extra room for it. But it was easily modified to fit a glock with RMR.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    JM Custom Kydex (mail order) and Silk Custom Kydex (local). I like the holsters and both offer great service.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    1.) EDC Pistol? Which pistol I carry on a given day depends on: where I'm going, what I'll be wearing, what mood I'm in ;-)
    2.) Why? because I build my own holsters.

A lot of great holsters out there these days. Lots of options. Everyone has their own preference. Just find what works for you and go with it.

74a5624fa73a046806d9e23df15fae31.jpg

20ef6d7e8b3ebc7c75f698efce2cb745.jpg

5cb29cc729d35ddb666ac402b69a4e19.jpg

eb83a5e3541d85980ad7df7589ba8c08.jpg

cfc876f24d9e6e95efc6bfc8f780edb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    I had a UCR (Ultra concealment rig) for a long while for my G23 / G19. One of the clips broke after about 5 years EDC.

I now have an Alien cloak tuck, and it is as comfortable as the UCR but is way more difficult to put on day to day.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Summer t-shirt and shorts weather I'm carrying a Glock 42 in a kydex holster I made myself, or in a trigger guard holster that I also made myself.

26187936854_93f1ebe7c4.jpg

25983250633_3e7f4bf34c.jpg

Fall, and sometimes Summer, I'm carrying a Glock 17 in a Raven Eidolon with a spare magazine in a kydex carrier I made myself.

22984787051_f92c6ccb38.jpg

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    Just what I've noticed, purely opinion. other makers may offer some of the same quality's, but as a package I'm sold even at the extra expense over some other holsters.
    1. I like the extra cant. it allows it to sit a little lower but still allows you to get a full grip easily.
    2. Very easy to get on and off. The clip has a notch in the middle which serves two purposes. allows you to pull it open to get on and off and also allows you to position it over a belt loop so you are not limited to where it is positioned on your side and holds the holster in place.
    3. I'm Not sure why but this has been the easiest holster to conceal that I've found. I wear a G19 everyday. Business casual to t-shirt and shorts. I got to much luggage to carry appendix, so it is worn at about 3:30. My wife carry's her shield in one and is able to wear it with fitted Tee's as well.
    4. It is just plain more comfortable than any other I've tried. Doesn't move around, I really forget I'm wearing it. seated in a car as well.
    5. Life Time guarantee from a local maker.
    6. The Kydex is thick, well formed, edges are finished, with adjustable retention.

Out of curiosity, since many members praise RM holsters, what benefit does a RM holster have over competitor products?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just what I've noticed, purely opinion. other makers may offer some of the same quality's, but as a package I'm sold even at the extra expense over some other holsters.
    1. I like the extra cant. it allows it to sit a little lower but still allows you to get a full grip easily.
    2. Very easy to get on and off. The clip has a notch in the middle which serves two purposes. allows you to pull it open to get on and off and also allows you to position it over a belt loop so you are not limited to where it is positioned on your side and holds the holster in place.
    3. I'm Not sure why but this has been the easiest holster to conceal that I've found. I wear a G19 everyday. Business casual to t-shirt and shorts. I got to much luggage to carry appendix, so it is worn at about 3:30. My wife carry's her shield in one and is able to wear it with fitted Tee's as well.
    4. It is just plain more comfortable than any other I've tried. Doesn't move around, I really forget I'm wearing it. seated in a car as well.
    5. Life Time guarantee from a local maker.
    6. The Kydex is thick, well formed, edges are finished, with adjustable retention.

I still don't see the benefit, other than supporting a site sponsor.

1. You like the extra cant, but is it adjustable?
    2. Any clip style holster is easy to get on and off, but what do you do when the clip breaks (since it's folded kydex)?
    3. I agree that you should carry what works, but it didn't work for me.
    4. Minimalist holsters are more comfortable since there is less bulk, so I'll agree to an extent. Carry position has a lot to do with it also.
    5. That IS one benefit.
    6. Most kydex holsters should be made from 0.080" kydex. "Thick" would be considered 0.093" or 0.125" in thickness.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea of a holster that doesn't have adjustable cant and has an incorporated "clip" (that isn't really a clip). When the clip breaks, you're holster is done for.

*For the record, I'm not bashing anyone, I'm discussing a product that is sold to the general public, and that I have experience with.*

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Now days I only carry at 3 o'clock, zero cant and must have a soft loop or hard belt loop "I will not use belt clips of any type on holsters".

I ordered a Raven VG2 and while very comfortable the ability to reholster without removing the holster outweighed the comfort. So I ordered the PHLster Skeleton gen2 and this thing is very comfortable while being as minimalist as I'm willing to go.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Now days I only carry at 3 o'clock, zero cant and must have a soft loop or hard belt loop "I will not use belt clips of any type on holsters".

I ordered a Raven VG2 and while very comfortable the ability to reholster without removing the holster outweighed the comfort. So I ordered the PHLster Skeleton gen2 and this thing is very comfortable while being as minimalist as I'm willing to go.

John makes good stuff. If you check out his YouTube channel, you can see how he started out and how his holsters are made now (vacuum formed & CNC cut).

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    John makes good stuff. If you check out his YouTube channel, you can see how he started out and how his holsters are made now (vacuum formed & CNC cut).

He seems like a very humble person. The stuff I have from him works good for me.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    One from this gentleman: http://www.jasonwinnie.com/ Why? He is a shooter, great guy, the holsters are a great value for the $, and they 'work' for me. I am sure most of us have a drawer of holsters that did not 'work' for whatever reason. I am partial to Garret Industries leather lined kydex if I am going to be taking a class with a lot of draws. But have been known to wear the elephant skin leather to a class. :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom