Tool question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    At work , we frequently have the occasion to mount and run flex into stainless steel junction boxes . Drilling the hole to allow the knockout to be inserted is the problem . We have tried all manner of drill bits , Uni-Bits , etc. and that stainless just gives it hell . Any suggestions ?

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Drilling and machining stainless is tough on tool bits. Cutting oil helps to prolong bit sharpness. Cobalt bits with cutting oil, slow speed and high pressure, a small pilot hole first makes it somewhat easier. Drilling with a hand drill will always be tough because you really can't generate enough pressure. A drill press works best.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    At work , we frequently have the occasion to mount and run flex into stainless steel junction boxes . Drilling the hole to allow the knockout to be inserted is the problem . We have tried all manner of drill bits , Uni-Bits , etc. and that stainless just gives it hell . Any suggestions ?

Not following you 100%

Are you calling this a "knockout"
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...+punch&qpvt=junction+box+hole+punch&FORM=IGRE

What about a hole punch to do the pilot hole? Whitney Roper #5 would be right about $80.
    It just depend on access to the side of the JB and SS thickness. If you let me know how thick the SS is I can maybe tell you. As hole size goes up the pressure goes up exponentially. That is why you see shearing on the punches.

A center punch to start the hole and the right lube helps on drilling. Short straight flute drills may help as well. A wax type cutting paste that melts can be beneficial also.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Maybe ask the guys who sell or manufacture the box what the best method suggested for drilling boxes. Sometimes they know or sell products to make using their product easier so they can sell more boxes.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    I use cobalt drill bits when drilling stainless. They work better than hss bits to me. I have used carbide bits in the past also and found them to be britle and break alot easier than others. Almost every control panel or new panel that we add at work is stainless and now use just cobalt bits to drill the holes for the knock out draw stud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I use cobalt drill bits when drilling stainless. They work better than hss bits to me. I have used carbide bits in the past also and found them to be britle and break alot easier than others. Almost every control panel or new panel that we add at work is stainless and now use just cobalt bits to drill the holes for the knock out draw stud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    That's what I'm looking for . Thanks .

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Solid Carbide Drill Bits, lubricate, start small and go slow. Also good to sharpen your knives.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Yes use Cobalt preferably, but the Titanium oxide stuff works OK. The trick is to not try to drill a 3/8" hole in one shot. More time consuming on the surface but pop a 1/8, then say 1/4 and then the 3/8. Give the but a path to follow and use oil.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    If its sheet metal, you need a knockout punch set. The only efficient way to do it.

images

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I've never had a problem, but I keep the speed pretty low and start with a 1/16" pr 1/8" bit if I can. Don't heat them up too much and you can drill a hell of a lot more holes with a bit. I'll watch guys burn up a bit before they finish their first hole while I can use the same bit for a week.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I'm using a knockout set specifically for stainless .

I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. Youre having trouble drilling that pilot hole.

The right speed (see a speed chart for stainless and drill size to get the right speed) and cutting fluid should make the job fairly easy. I don't drill stainless often but when I do I follow the chart and use oil and it's not bad.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    The most annoying part I've found in the past isn't the drilling, it's having the knocked out slug stick in the cup. Regular steel usually busts in two but the stainless just bends and deforms into the cup. Make sure to have some vise grips and a screwdriver handy.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The most annoying part I've found in the past isn't the drilling, it's having the knocked out slug stick in the cup. Regular steel usually busts in two but the stainless just bends and deforms into the cup. Make sure to have some vise grips and a screwdriver handy.

Oh yeah . Been there many times .

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Doing lots of stainless? That will burn up a lot of bits pretty quickly, especially since the holes are being discarded anyways.

Get yourself a plasma cutter and just plasma punch all your pilot holes. Fast, efficient, maybe initially expensive but way easier than drilling through dozens of bits.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom