Automobile first aid kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I'm not sure if you're looking for an IFAK or items for the vehicle but here are both. Since I'm now back in a truck and not a Z this has changed and expanded for me recently.

IFAK;
    Band-Aids
    painkillers
    tweezers
    latex gloves
    rolled gauze
    pads
    quick clot
    tourniquet
    tape
    2 bottles of water (not for drinking)

The biggest thing with a IFAK is to keep it updated and check it. I've had high temperatures ruin items before. I have it arranged in a med pouch and tend to take it in and out of the vehicle same as I do my sidearm. It becomes second nature.

For the vehicle;
    sockets/wrenches for battery terminals (check your size)
    Jumper cables
    Gloves
    Tire plugs
    Tow strap
    Ratchet straps
    **** paper (bio)
    flashlight
    cheap knife
    couple of Walmart bags
    grease wipes

Same and the IFAK, some of these items have to be checked every now and again.
    Its easier to carry that when you have the room and since I do, I don't see why not. I'm not an EMT or anything, so the first aid kit items like quick clot are intended for use on myself or a passenger.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    In addition to the above:

Duct tape (or gorilla tape)
    Black trash bags
    Ponchos
    Emergency blankets / tarps (great for laying on wet ground to keep mud off yourself)
    High quality flashlight
    Orange reflective triangles
    Lighter
    Paracord

Gun & pepper spray are also good to keep in car.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You can't always stay with a broken down vehicle, so:
    backpack
    extra clothes- jeans, t-shirt, light jacket, old shoes (breaking down in dress clothes sucks), if you're married then 2 sets (imagine listening to your wife in heels complain for hours while walking...).
    a couple of energy bars

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    zip ties and safety wire and vise grips are good to have. I have vise gripped a clutch cable, zip tied a throttle body open, and safety wired an exhaust pipe to get home (on separate occasions.)

philrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mandeville, LA
    Gloves, Quicklot, tourniquet. That's bare minimum to me, but in a severe wreck that's what you need to keep a person from bleeding out before the pros show up.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    In addition to the above:

Duct tape (or gorilla tape)
    Black trash bags
    Ponchos
    Emergency blankets / tarps (great for laying on wet ground to keep mud off yourself)
    High quality flashlight
    Lighter
    Paracord

Gun & pepper spray are also good to keep in car.

Dman, forgot the trash bags!
    I need to add Duck/Gorilla tape and some of those reflective triangles, thanks for the reminder. 550, emergency blankets, flee/fight items stay in my pack.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    You can't always stay with a broken down vehicle, so:
    backpack
    extra clothes- jeans, t-shirt, light jacket, old shoes (breaking down in dress clothes sucks), if you're married then 2 sets (imagine listening to your wife in heels complain for hours while walking...).
    a couple of energy bars

My wife likes to keep flipflops/sandles on, she has had a pair if tennis shoes in my vehicles since we were dating. NEVER put yourself in a situation to have to listen a women about her feet hurting.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ask a doctor what you should put in a first aid kit, and he'll say medical supplies.

Ask Bayoushooter what you should put in a first aid kit, and you will get answers like:

"backpack
    extra clothes- jeans, t-shirt, light jacket, old shoes"

"zip ties"

"Duct tape (or gorilla tape)
    Black trash bags
    Ponchos
    High quality flashlight
    Lighter
    Paracord"

:hahano:

You want to know what to keep in a first aid kit? Ask a Registered Nurse or a Paramedic.

We have a few on the forum, but I don't think a single one has posted yet.

My $0.02, before you build a First Aid Kit... Buy one. It will have (almost) everything you could need in a situation that would require "first aid." Remember, "first aid" is not the same medical attention that a Paramedic/EMT could give, so don't go play hero.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Ask a doctor what you should put in a first aid kit, and he'll say medical supplies.

Ask Bayoushooter what you should put in a first aid kit, and you will get answers like:

"backpack
    extra clothes- jeans, t-shirt, light jacket, old shoes"

"zip ties"

"Duct tape (or gorilla tape)
    Black trash bags
    Ponchos
    High quality flashlight
    Lighter
    Paracord"

:hahano:

You want to know what to keep in a first aid kit? Ask a Registered Nurse or a Paramedic.

We have a few on the forum, but I don't think a single one has posted yet.

My $0.02, before you build a First Aid Kit... Buy one. It will have (almost) everything you could need in a situation that would require "first aid." Remember, "first aid" is not the same medical attention that a Paramedic/EMT could give, so don't go play hero.

Hey, he never specified that the "aid" needed would be medical. What if the "aid" you are giving is for a broken down car? Or if you are changing a flat. Or if zombies are attacking the world.

Nevertheless, I think it can be assumed that he has a basic medical kit in his car. If that can't be assumed, then yes, a solid pre-made med-kit is the way to go. As for a pre-made kit, I recommend adding things that you would use more commonly than not: A good pair of scissors, alcohol wipes, neosporin, benadryl, (sun)burn cream, etc. Also, skimping on a cheap med-kit is a bad idea. Drop a little cash on a nice one with a sturdy bag and it will last a long time.

Better Dave? :]

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just to clarify, I'm requesting input from all venues. Keep them coming.

I keep a crowbar (Stanley Wonderbar) as well. So far out of everything in my car, it is tied for most used with the flashlight haha. Well...maybe the SOG Multitool too.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I keep a crowbar (Stanley Wonderbar) as well. So far out of everything in my car, it is tied for most used with the flashlight haha. Well...maybe the SOG Multitool too.

If you can get a Fatmax Fubar for a decent price, you won't need anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom