New range near Avondale or Raceland?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Over the last two weeks I've had 3 fellow shooters ask if I'd heard of a new range opening near Avondale or Raceland. I have not. Has anyone else?

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Its a part of St bernard indoor/nolatac and on nola motorsports property some where.

Sent from an unregisteted mobile device.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    A few years ago, I, and other members of the now closed, South Louisiana Gun Club, met w. Laney Chouest, the NOLA Motorsports complex owner, about opening a gun club. I sincerely hope it materializes. It would be a great asset the New Orleans and surrounding communities shooting population.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    It would be nice for the westbank to have a large range to go to, but from what the owner posted before he was re-banned, it is going to be private at first, more for training and competitions.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    I spoke to someone who works at nola motorsports and he said it is supposedly for law enforcement only. It is currently in process of being built.

stephenmcrna

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2013
    They have upcoming classes there. Pat Macnamara and Mike Pannone, vehicle tactics class and a few others for the public to attend for payment obviously.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    They have upcoming classes there. Pat Macnamara and Mike Pannone, vehicle tactics class and a few others for the public to attend for payment obviously.

Pat's going to be there?
    In before his students have a panic attack.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    13161900_1729893267281032_4861796084279659304_o.jpg

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    Just an FYI...I was on NOLATAC's FB page yesterday, and ended up chatting with Brannon (I assume) and he said that it would be more of a "Guntry Club", than a public gun range, although they were considering having a weekend a month open to the public. Initially at least, it will be more for LEO/Mil training, and for hosting big name trainers like Vickers, McNamara, etc. which is great.
    He said they plan to open to 'members' in early March. Memberships will be $1000. yes, one thousand...hence the "guntry club" (his direct quote)...for regular guys like us, the good part of this place will be the big name trainers that they bring in for courses. He said that was one of the primary reasons for it, along with competitions, although he didn't get into specifics on which kind. He said the schedule would be up soon. Their FB page seems to be the place to go for current, up to the minute info; the website doesn't tell you anything.
    Look for their post from Dec 19th, which has a map/picture of the range, that's the post where all this info came from.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Looks nice. Laney had mentioned wanting to do this years ago before the track opened. Glad it's finally coming to some fruition.

$1,000/yr is pretty pricey but it's really not that bad to keep the riff raff out. Also will be interesting to see the proposed amenities, etc.

Avondale area isn't that far to drive either, relatively convenient especially considering the outdoor range. Everything else is at least an hour or more away it seems like.

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    I recently saw a piece on a gun show on the Outdoor Channel (GunVenture?)...and they visited the Scottsdale Gun Club in AZ, and it was a brand new mega-facility, that fit the 'guntry-club' name, catering to businessmen wanting a place to entertain clients etc., with new high tech targets, upscale lounge with pool tables, meeting rooms, etc; granted this was an indoor range & store, but the same principle as what the NOLATAC range is going for, to some degree at least.

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    Brannon just posted a new video last night, on his NOLATAC Firearms Training Facebook page. If you have any interest in this club, I'd say you should check it out. I was excited about it, but as the details emerge, it's a little too quirky.

Based on this video, the range will...

-only have ONE weekend per month, dedicated to the members having full use of the range (Thur-Sun)
    -use on other weekends would be dependent on whatever else is going on at the park (tough mudder, paintball, ATV's, etc.)
    -all shooting will be done by appointment only

There has been no mention of how guests will be handled, or how many days a week it will be open.

It seems that these other activities are being introduced as a source of revenue for 'the park', and the gun range will not always take priority. He's being very open about this, which he should be, but I just find it odd that a gun range will have all of these other activities that it will be competing with, in terms of who gets to use the grounds on any given day/weekend.

So, you pay $1000, and there is only 1 guaranteed weekend a month (4 days). So, if you can't make it that particular weekend, you may have to wait another 3-4 weeks...

Is it just me, or is all of this just a little odd....??

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I was excited to hear about it opening, and was eager with money in hand, but not now after hearing the limited use of the facility

Top Bottom