New range near Avondale or Raceland?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Brannon just posted a new video last night, on his NOLATAC Firearms Training Facebook page. If you have any interest in this club, I'd say you should check it out. I was excited about it, but as the details emerge, it's a little too quirky.

Based on this video, the range will...

-only have ONE weekend per month, dedicated to the members having full use of the range (Thur-Sun)
    -use on other weekends would be dependent on whatever else is going on at the park (tough mudder, paintball, ATV's, etc.)
    -all shooting will be done by appointment only

There has been no mention of how guests will be handled, or how many days a week it will be open.

It seems that these other activities are being introduced as a source of revenue for 'the park', and the gun range will not always take priority. He's being very open about this, which he should be, but I just find it odd that a gun range will have all of these other activities that it will be competing with, in terms of who gets to use the grounds on any given day/weekend.

So, you pay $1000, and there is only 1 guaranteed weekend a month (4 days). So, if you can't make it that particular weekend, you may have to wait another 3-4 weeks...

Is it just me, or is all of this just a little odd....??

i just watched the video, and what I understood was there would be one GUARANTEED weekend (Thurs, fri, sat, sun, mon) per month at a minimum, but there would be other times it would be open.

A newer video said members get 4 free guests per year and then other members are 40.00 per day.

Just openend memberships for sale earlier last this evening.

www.nolatactc.com

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Seems way to expensive for just a hand gun shooter.

How true. I wish we ( New Orleans)had an outdoor range like Coast Pistol and Rifle Club in Bolixi, offering pistol, rifle, trap, and skeet shooting, open 7 days a week. Coast has a membership of over 1600, with annual dues of $200.00. A price most of us could afford.
    A few years ago the Sheriff in Chalmette was interested in providing land to help develop club like this, but it never materialized. I'd like to see a group of local shooters get together and ask him if he's still open to the idea, and what it would take financially to make it happen.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    $500 a year really not that crazy considering there is no place within a few hour drive with 1500 yards and soon to be 2000+ to shoot on.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Seems way to expensive for just a hand gun shooter.

True, $500 being expensive for just a hand gun shooter.
    I can tell when I was going to Bayou Dragon (as a lifetime member) I was spending $250 on up a year on range fees. That was $10 a visit and I was going every 2 weeks on average. While I love Bayou Dragon it does have it's limitations.

Most ranges are $200 a year. Very few are that great from a pistol only perspective. Even from a mid-range rifle perspective. In either case going to matches is probably the easiest and cheapest method to achieve some quality shooting regardless of the range. Southern shooting center had a nice setup on the pistol bays - but I have heard the guy is hard to deal with.

I am not 100% up on what it currently cost to join the new range. I would maybe have structured the membership a bit different. Since I have never ran a range I don't know how that would work.

To be fair $200 would be a no brainer for me. $300-350 for a 1 discipline membership would probably be a no brainer as well if I factored in travel time & cost to any other range beside 'The Dragon' or Gretna Gun. Even at Bayou dragon I would bring a .22lr pistol to max out the trigger time per trip. Palo Alto is 600yds and an hour and 15 drive. There are at least 3 matches a month and if somebody is already on a line when you get there you are waiting for them to finish, it is not exactly something you can count on. So a big thing for me is joining a range and the range never being available. Also I don't want to pay for things I am not into. A consideration is being part of a club vs a full pay range with - no work days.

What will really get expensive is if you get into another aspect of shooting.

Last edited:

miscverb

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Destrehan LA
    i am a member and it is getting better all the time. only place around to really reach out. all depends what you want to do. considering the range distance, shooting options, and the cost of my lrp rifles that would otherwise go unchallenged, it is a no brainer to join and enjoy. some say it is expensive... true but the hobby of shooting can be expensive in and of itself. again, just depends what you want to get out of your shooting experience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom