Wait times post 41F

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Ouch!!! I know that hurts
    Suppressor Form 4
    Trust with 1 Responsible Person
    Aklys Kopis through Silencer Shop
    Paid on 09/12/2017
    Stamp at dealer 04/30/2018
    7.5 months

Suppressor Form 4
    Trust with 1 Responsible Person
    Dead Air Sandman S
    Paid on 10/04/2017
    Delivered to incorrect address. Receiving party destroyed paperwork rather than return it or forward it and didn't notify anyone.
    Resubmitted 04/27/2018

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ouch!!! I know that hurts

Yes. Yes it did. I won't name the gun store but they appear to be doing what they can to make it right. They stated they tracked the delivery and confirmed it was delivered. After that, it was a waiting game. I had recently called the ATF to check on the status and hopefully get an estimate and they told me they had no record of the serial number. My first though was 6 months down the f*&$!#g drain. At least I'll have the 22 can to play with. And 22 ammo is much cheaper than 300 blk ammo. Plus they offered to cover the tax stamp. It's just one item but they have to be taking a loss on this transaction.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Yes. Yes it did. I won't name the gun store but they appear to be doing what they can to make it right. They stated they tracked the delivery and confirmed it was delivered. After that, it was a waiting game. I had recently called the ATF to check on the status and hopefully get an estimate and they told me they had no record of the serial number. My first though was 6 months down the f*&$!#g drain. At least I'll have the 22 can to play with. And 22 ammo is much cheaper than 300 blk ammo. Plus they offered to cover the tax stamp. It's just one item but they have to be taking a loss on this transaction.

Sounds like the shop is trying to make it right by covering the tax stamp. Good on them. We would do the same in that situation.

Almost everything we do is on trusts. The average time we are seeing right now is in the 6-7 month range. A few weeks ago we got back a Trust F4 in just over 5 months. We also got a Trust F4 back that same week that had been out for 18 months. One of the RPs had an arrest record though and so I think that it got thrown in a research pile which is fine but it surprises me that they never contacted him for any other info.

We have another Trust F4 pending since October 2016 where one of the RPs has a non-disqualifying arrest but they contacted the RP and asked for disposition paperwork which the RP reportedly sent months ago. We call and check on it every week. It’s now almost impossible even for us dealers to get an examiner on the phone. They apparently have instructed the contractor research assistants to try and handle everything and some of them are worse than incompetent. The NFA examiners are usually pretty efficient and knowledgeable though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Here are my 2 recent individual form 4 for cans

7303e9b185337b3f6db8fc31dad75fa6.jpg

223f182b2e996806caf21639142a8acb.jpg

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Sounds like the shop is trying to make it right by covering the tax stamp. Good on them. We would do the same in that situation.

Almost everything we do is on trusts. The average time we are seeing right now is in the 6-7 month range. A few weeks ago we got back a Trust F4 in just over 5 months. We also got a Trust F4 back that same week that had been out for 18 months. One of the RPs had an arrest record though and so I think that it got thrown in a research pile which is fine but it surprises me that they never contacted him for any other info.

We have another Trust F4 pending since October 2016 where one of the RPs has a non-disqualifying arrest but they contacted the RP and asked for disposition paperwork which the RP reportedly sent months ago. We call and check on it every week. It’s now almost impossible even for us dealers to get an examiner on the phone. They apparently have instructed the contractor research assistants to try and handle everything and some of them are worse than incompetent. The NFA examiners are usually pretty efficient and knowledgeable though.

6 to 7 months sounds great. I purchased 2 from you this year, one on January 20 and the other February 19. Hopefully it will not be much longer.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Received a form 1 and a form 4 two days apart that were filed the same day with my LLC. Filed through Meplat, 6 months

Wow, 6 months. I wish mine was that fast. Been waiting on one since January and one in February.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wow, 6 months. I wish mine was that fast. Been waiting on one since January and one in February.

It'll be 7 months tomorrow since the check was cashed for the one that has been waiting the longest. Followed by 4-1/2 and 2-1/2 months for the other two. I'm tempted to call them tomorrow and check on the status and see if they tell me the average wait is 7 months. Not that any sarcastic comeback about how it has been 7 months will get them to approve it any quicker.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    It'll be 7 months tomorrow since the check was cashed for the one that has been waiting the longest. Followed by 4-1/2 and 2-1/2 months for the other two. I'm tempted to call them tomorrow and check on the status and see if they tell me the average wait is 7 months. Not that any sarcastic comeback about how it has been 7 months will get them to approve it any quicker.

I called about a month ago, said pending background check. What does that mean?

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    The quickest we have seen recently is just over five months, the longest right at 18 months (he had a non-prohibited arrest record).

People with common names or an arrest record will take longer to process. It will also take longer if your examiner goes on vacation, sets a bunch of files on top of yours, or spills coffee on it. Basically, there is no rhyme or reason to what happens at NFA Branch these days. It is awful.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    The quickest we have seen recently is just over five months, the longest right at 18 months (he had a non-prohibited arrest record).

People with common names or an arrest record will take longer to process. It will also take longer if your examiner goes on vacation, sets a bunch of files on top of yours, or spills coffee on it. Basically, there is no rhyme or reason to what happens at NFA Branch these days. It is awful.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated. The last one took 11 months, looks like the next 2 will also.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I guess I'm just a little frustrated. The last one took 11 months, looks like the next 2 will also.

Once you know they have it in processing I don’t recommend calling. They do keep track of how often you have called and although I would hope they would not intentionally delay a file you can never be sure. I do know that repeated status checks are a huge annoyance to them and are part of what has created the really awful restructuring they have done.

We used to be able to get examiners on the phone easily when we needed to get things done but there is now a firewall of research assistants and voicemail boxes.

On the bright side NFA branch has stated an intention to get F4 processing times to 90 days and has been given funding for new hires. The problem is the building is filled to capacity and they can’t put any new staff in there.

E-filed Form 1s seem to be processing very quickly but that usually doesn’t last very long after a new rollout before they pull the throttles back. They are talking about e-filing F4s but I don’t see how they will manage to do that without a completely new website and framework. Already the e-F1s have the system taxed to the max and it is running much much slower and crashing unexpectedly for sometimes an entire day. It has made things very difficult for the industry in filing F3s and F2s.

The only people that have any control over this are the bureaucrats and politicians. The customers and industry are just along for the ride sadly.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I figured they kept a record of how much someone called. I have called once since my purchase in January. Guess I'll just wait a little more.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have 2 cans in the system since June 2018. I suspect it will be around March before I hear anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom