Wait times post 41F

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    If I had my dealer submit everything, can I call and check? Or do I need him to? If I can, what info do I need? Put my Sandman S in jail 28 June, so it's gotta be soon!

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Let me preface this by saying that no one really knows what the timeline will be on post-41F forms, but I love speculation as much as the next guy, so here's my $.02.

First, we need to look at what is going on at NFA branch right now. Starting from January 13 and ending July 13, the form volume submitted was incredibly high, ramping up and peaking on July 12. In fact, I would wager that more pre-41F forms were submitted in the month between June 12 and July 12 than any other year in the history of the NFA branch. The volume was so high that it took them almost 6 months just to get them all entered.

Once they were all entered, they were able to put the people that were entering the forms to work on processing them. So now the full force of the NFA branch is trying to crank through the forms. It had held steady at around 8 months for a while but is now creeping toward 9 and will likely be at 10 months or so for the last of the pre-41F forms, which would put us in May or thereabouts.

So now back to the original question, what about post-41F forms? Well, the volume will drop off a cliff when they stamp that last pre-41F form. In fact, if they continued at the same pace they are approving pre-41F forms at, my guess is they would be to zero backlog in under three months. But they won't continue at that same pace. Why? Lots of reasons. The one they will give is that they now have to deal with so many more backgrounds, but the truth is that they are bureaucrats and although the people at the NFA Branch are really great, they do pace themselves. They establish a par time that they want to achieve (in the past this has been three months) and if they aren't working near capacity you can set your watch by it.

So, my guess is the first post-41F form will be approved around May and that will be the longest of the post-41F wait times. They will shorten from there. But then again this is just a guess and we can only imagine the possibilities of kicked back photos and prints that await.

I will say this. Please don't call NFA branch for a status. The same people fielding your call could be approving your form. They have no status to give you. All they do is tell you the day that your form was entered and what the approximate wait time is from that date. I understand how frustrating it can be, believe me. But try and forget about it and when you get that call it will be like Christmas.

Best,
    Kenny

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If I had my dealer submit everything, can I call and check? Or do I need him to? If I can, what info do I need? Put my Sandman S in jail 28 June, so it's gotta be soon!

You can call the ATF. Have your serial number ready.

They will probably underpromise by giving you a much further lead time than they will need. This is your friend: http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    You can call the ATF. Have your serial number ready.

They will probably underpromise by giving you a much further lead time than they will need. This is your friend: http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Yeah this is more what I meant. I know I said call but I meant to say check like online. According to what others are getting and the nfatracker site I'm right at 8 months. So I'm hoping its in the next 2-4 weeks.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Yeah this is more what I meant. I know I said call but I meant to say check like online. According to what others are getting and the nfatracker site I'm right at 8 months. So I'm hoping its in the next 2-4 weeks.

Dave, based on what I am seeing you are 4-6 weeks out from getting your stamp simply because we are starting to see a gradual extending of processing time as they get into the meatiest part of the pre-41F rush.

We typically receive stamps between 3-30 days after approval with the norm being 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Dave, based on what I am seeing you are 4-6 weeks out from getting your stamp simply because we are starting to see a gradual extending of processing time as they get into the meatiest part of the pre-41F rush.

We typically receive stamps between 3-30 days after approval with the norm being 10 days.

Thanks Kenny. You know me, when it gets here, it gets here. I'm just one of those people who like to check package tracking and watch its movement every day, just out of curiosity. Shot with Nick Sunday, and damn that L is heavy! Shoulda went for the S first, haha!

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Thanks Kenny. You know me, when it gets here, it gets here. I'm just one of those people who like to check package tracking and watch its movement every day, just out of curiosity. Shot with Nick Sunday, and damn that L is heavy! Shoulda went for the S first, haha!

Oh, is this Dave G? I didn't realize that was you, but I just looked up your form and yup 6/28. LOL.

Yeah, I think you'll like having both. The S is a lower backpressure can do it will be quieter at the shooters ear with a bit more muzzle report. The L is super quiet but has a bit more weight. They are very different cans but both awesome.

Also Dead Air just came out with their Key-Mo adapters for Silencerco cans so if you decide to add a Silencerco to the stable you can keep your cool Dead Air brakes and they will ratchet right on.

Dead Air is the most innovative company in he industry right now but look for some cool stuff out of Gemtech over the next year or so. They've got the right people on the bus in product development and I'm hoping for big things.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I'm still waiting on approvals from two items purchased in December 2015. First, there was an extreme delay in getting the items to my CIII... They didn't receive them until April, 2016. The paperwork was submitted at the end of April and the checks were cashed on May 10, 2016. I call once per month to see which stamps this particular dealer is receiving. At the beginning of February 2017, they were starting to receive stamps from the end of March 2016 to the beginning of April 2016. Maybe next month or the month after that, I'll have my items...

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Just called regarding my Socom 556 Supressor. Pending date is July 6th and she said they are working in June now. She said it is going to be probably another month and a half.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Let me preface this by saying that no one really knows what the timeline will be on post-41F forms, but I love speculation as much as the next guy, so here's my $.02.

First, we need to look at what is going on at NFA branch right now. Starting from January 13 and ending July 13, the form volume submitted was incredibly high, ramping up and peaking on July 12. In fact, I would wager that more pre-41F forms were submitted in the month between June 12 and July 12 than any other year in the history of the NFA branch. The volume was so high that it took them almost 6 months just to get them all entered.

Once they were all entered, they were able to put the people that were entering the forms to work on processing them. So now the full force of the NFA branch is trying to crank through the forms. It had held steady at around 8 months for a while but is now creeping toward 9 and will likely be at 10 months or so for the last of the pre-41F forms, which would put us in May or thereabouts.

So now back to the original question, what about post-41F forms? Well, the volume will drop off a cliff when they stamp that last pre-41F form. In fact, if they continued at the same pace they are approving pre-41F forms at, my guess is they would be to zero backlog in under three months. But they won't continue at that same pace. Why? Lots of reasons. The one they will give is that they now have to deal with so many more backgrounds, but the truth is that they are bureaucrats and although the people at the NFA Branch are really great, they do pace themselves. They establish a par time that they want to achieve (in the past this has been three months) and if they aren't working near capacity you can set your watch by it.

So, my guess is the first post-41F form will be approved around May and that will be the longest of the post-41F wait times. They will shorten from there. But then again this is just a guess and we can only imagine the possibilities of kicked back photos and prints that await.

I will say this. Please don't call NFA branch for a status. The same people fielding your call could be approving your form. They have no status to give you. All they do is tell you the day that your form was entered and what the approximate wait time is from that date. I understand how frustrating it can be, believe me. But try and forget about it and when you get that call it will be like Christmas.

Best,
    Kenny

I always tell people its a good idea to call at least once because you can have a screw up. I usually wait 5 months to call just to make sure I have a pending date. The third suppressor I purchased I went about 7 months and nothing. This was back several years ago when normal times were 5-6 months. Turns out my dumbass dealer never sent in the paperwork. So its good to call once and verify you're in the system.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I always tell people its a good idea to call at least once because you can have a screw up. I usually wait 5 months to call just to make sure I have a pending date. The third suppressor I purchased I went about 7 months and nothing. This was back several years ago when normal times were 5-6 months. Turns out my dumbass dealer never sent in the paperwork. So its good to call once and verify you're in the system.

Excellent point. I would agree that it is a good idea to call once. Dealers can make mistakes, USPS and ATF can lose forms, lots of things can happen. NFA is now actually marking the files and will allow a maximum of three calls on a serial number, which is a good thing.

zo-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Took 8months on o e I got last year. Took them a4 days to cash check lol Must have a lot of people working inthat department.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Took 8months on o e I got last year. Took them a4 days to cash check lol Must have a lot of people working inthat department.

They cash the checks in Atlanta and then send the forms onto West Virginia for processing.

Very efficient.

Anhquan1

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Marrero, LA
    Trust Paper form 4 submitted 11/15/16, check just cash on 2/27/17. Look like I'll not see my "Ghost" till the end of this year:(

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Trust Paper form 4 submitted 11/15/16, check just cash on 2/27/17. Look like I'll not see my "Ghost" till the end of this year:(

If I had to guess I would say September or October.

Here's an interesting observation one of my clients made. He said that when he went on the NFA tracker site (which I always note is user entered data not ATF entered because I've had clients ask me why their can isn't on there, LOL) he noticed that right now individual Form 4s were moving faster than trust Form 4s.

Now, I haven't verified that myself but it seems to me trusts should move MUCH faster than individuals in a pre-41F environment because there are no background checks to be done. Hopefully, this is an indicator that the way they run their background checks is very quick. I'm sure the Browns and Smiths of the world take longer as they have to distinguish the subject from a bazillion other people with the same name but overall they seem to move along at an equal or faster pace than the trust/LLC forms.

I know I'm grasping at straws here but I'll take anything positive I can when I've got hundreds of sold cans waiting on ATF approval to go to their new homes. I can't wait to get them out of here.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    hmm.. i submitted a form 1 SBR around same time. they charged my card within 4 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom