Shield Holster Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjuneau

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2014
    Have you looked at leather? I carry a glock 43 in a milt sparks executives companion.

47d716692bbd536428bf812da5bf8fc5.jpg
    1fa9747efb3327f9bb6171bccb195e15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Cowboy Boots, Stetson Hats, 1911 Pistols and Fancy Leather Holsters are for Cowboys. :)

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Cowboy Boots, Stetson Hats, 1911 Pistols and Fancy Leather Holsters are for Cowboys. :)
    So guess i will look stupid {have before} and ask is leather lees evasive on a gun than Kydex? Pros cons of both?
    Might as well ask in the new Holster Forum here......................

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So guess i will look stupid {have before} and ask is leather lees evasive on a gun than Kydex? Pros cons of both?

I find kydex puts less wear on a gun finish if you keep the inside of the holster clean.

In most cases kydex holsters are easier to reholster in.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I moved the thread. Happy? Lol

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Kydex doesn't collapse and does not smell like sweaty ass when it gets wet.

bjuneau

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2014
    Apparently none of you here have used or even seen a quality custom leather holster. Even a decent mid-range custom will not collapse, cause more wear on your firearms than kydex, or smell like "sweaty ass". You would be doing yourself a favor by at least considering them. The craftsmanship, attention to detail, and comfort will surprise you. They are not for Cowboys and their 1911's. They are for for people who appreciate fine leatherwork and a comfortable holster that will last a lifetime.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Apparently none of you here have used or even seen a quality custom leather holster. Even a decent mid-range custom will not collapse, cause more wear on your firearms than kydex, or smell like "sweaty ass". You would be doing yourself a favor by at least considering them. The craftsmanship, attention to detail, and comfort will surprise you. They are not for Cowboys and their 1911's. They are for for people who appreciate fine leatherwork and a comfortable holster that will last a lifetime.

Pics or it never happened.

bjuneau

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2014
    Pics of what? Custom holsters?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

LOL u mad?

I have seen quality leather before, and over time, it will degrade and become worn. That's just the nature of natural materials. A quality kydex sheath will cause less wear on a firearm than any form of leather. How is that possible, you ask? Because a kydex holster can be made and formed so that there are minimal points of contact.

You say we haven't seen quality leather... I say you don't know what you're talking about.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

At one time I thought like you.

bjuneau

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2014
    Of course I'm not mad. We're all here discussing something we love. We're friends, not enemies right? I was initially offering an option to the original poster. It's ok to have opposing opinions, but I think people should remain open minded. A comfortable holster is important to me because if I'm not comfortable carrying, I won't carry. I cannot be comfortable wearing a kydex holster, or maybe I just haven't found the right one. As for the pros and cons, My opinion is that leather outperforms plastic as a holster material. Also I must argue that quality leather will not degrade over time if protected and taken care of. I can say for a fact that the negative reviews of leather here are totally misconceptions and can be avoided with a good custom. But hey, I'm happy with leather, your happy with kydex. We can still be friends, can't we?

Here are a few from Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, Lobo, Tucker, and Ritchie Leather.
    35fd3cfe0762bd4861f37f5f0c639dbf.jpg
    5b5a37cf1c89355616be03f7da5beb9a.jpg
    befad3b4f042f42acb9c8df173f49d83.jpg
    bc118802ba722631a5658f9342d61208.jpg
    19abf84a00b1b9da57af61e15379619c.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Good looking holsters. I have a few leather holster that I like. I also have Kydex holsters that I like. All in all, none of them beat my fabric pocket holster for my M&P Bodyguard! See what I did there? :mamoru:

Anyway, I am going to try both a leather option and a kydex option for EDC with a Shield w/ attached TLR-6 (which is a badass little light!).

In a few weeks I will post reviews of both!

bjuneau

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2014
    Good luck! Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Of course I'm not mad. We're all here discussing something we love. We're friends, not enemies right? I was initially offering an option to the original poster. It's ok to have opposing opinions, but I think people should remain open minded. A comfortable holster is important to me because if I'm not comfortable carrying, I won't carry. I cannot be comfortable wearing a kydex holster, or maybe I just haven't found the right one. As for the pros and cons, My opinion is that leather outperforms plastic as a holster material. Also I must argue that quality leather will not degrade over time if protected and taken care of. I can say for a fact that the negative reviews of leather here are totally misconceptions and can be avoided with a good custom. But hey, I'm happy with leather, your happy with kydex. We can still be friends, can't we?

Here are a few from Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, Lobo, Tucker, and Ritchie Leather.
    35fd3cfe0762bd4861f37f5f0c639dbf.jpg
    5b5a37cf1c89355616be03f7da5beb9a.jpg
    befad3b4f042f42acb9c8df173f49d83.jpg
    bc118802ba722631a5658f9342d61208.jpg
    19abf84a00b1b9da57af61e15379619c.jpg

Do you own any kydex holsters?

bjuneau

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2014
    I do not. I had a comp-tac owb but didn't care for it. I've been wanting to try the Minotaur but never have.

johnnybravo247

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    New Orleans Louisiana
    Amazon offers quite a few offerings (hi, I'm new here by the way). I know Amazon is notorious for falsely selling knock offs, but for those on a budget like myself, I had no choice but to get a budget holster until I could save up for something nice, because a cheap, smelly, or *gasp* cloth holster is better than tucking a loaded weapon into your waste band with no retention whatsoever. In fact, you're an idiot if you do that, and I don't want to be there when you shoot your pecker off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I do not. I had a comp-tac owb but didn't care for it. I've been wanting to try the Minotaur but never have.

Comp-tac? Really? You're not even in the realm of quality Kydex with that nonsense.

Btw, I will agree with you that it has to be comfortable, but I also know that I'm carrying a loaded firearm and will accept the fact that it won't be as comfortable as the silky smooth cotton groin covers I wear daily. I've carried a Glock 17 in a full size Raven Eidolon for a year, including a 1500 mile road trip. It wasn't as comfortable as my 42 in a super small holster, but it was nice to know I had more firepower for the next Pokemon Go mob attack.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Bout to post a holster review!

Top Bottom