Competition handgun shooting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnnybravo247

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    New Orleans Louisiana
    Are there no instructors out there interested in holding a handgun tactical competition shooting event in the south Louisiana area? Every handgun magazine mentions these events as an integral part of training for real life tactical defense scenarios, plus how much fun does that sound. And, they seem to be super popular in Texas. Do we really want to let Texas beat us ;) ? Perhaps there are laws that are restrictions the availability of this, or perhaps there are events I haven't been able to find. I'm just throwing it out there. I would even be interested in holding an event myself, with some guidance from an experienced instructor, if I could even recoup my money. I don't even care about turning a dollar. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    There are quite few USPSA and even a couple of IDPA matches in South La.
    Perhaps you can provide a link to one of these Tactical Handgun Competitions.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Probably not because as you know "Tactical" and regular "Handgun Competitions" do not normally work well together.

The techniques listed below and other defensive techniques taught to LEO will probably not be taught at any of the local handgun competition events.

Slicing the Pie, Clearing Corners, Clearing Doorways, Clearing Self-Closing Doors, Clearing Hallways and T-Intersections, Clearing Stairs, Engaging Once the Target is Spotted, Clearing a Building in Reduced Light, Shooting different targets in reduced light with WML and with HHL. etc.

Last edited:

johnnybravo247

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    New Orleans Louisiana
    I'll find some of the links I've been reading. I'm admittedly new to this, but I've been shooting at an amateur level for about a year, and I'm ready to progress, and I read about a lot of things that aren't accessible to me in New Orleans. There is, in fact, only one facility that allows you to draw from a holster (for good reason: they're indoor ranges), but you can youtube competitions that demonstrate all the techniques JBP55 just named, and it would be a blast. Of course, it would also take a lot of safety know how to pull that type of event together...

But what a dream come true.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom