Reactive Targets - Duraseal with Audible Gong?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Does anyone know of any reactive targets that are made of Duraseal(self-healing material/plastic) but also have an audible reaction?

If need be, I was going to try to rig something up. Like a Duraseal target with a chain attached to a handheld school lunch bell for instance. Another idea is to put a target bell behind the Duraseal so when rounds pass through the Duraseal they hit the bell and make noise. My concern with option #1 is the complexity and durability of such a rig. My concern with option #2 is that the smaller rounds(.22lr) wouldnt pass through the Duraseal to make contact with the bell and that the more powerful rounds would pass through and destroy the target bell as most of them are only rated for .22 or smaller ammo.

So...
    1. Does anyone know of any Duraseal targets that make noise or...
    2. Has anyone tried to rig something up that way and what was the result?

BTW, I wasnt sure what forum category this should go in.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I thought the point of reactive targets was for them to react to being hit?

1. No, I don't know of any that make an audible noise, because that's not what they were designed for.
    2. Your school bell idea sounds viable, but how are you going to weigh down the target so it isn't flying around.

Why not just get AR500 plates with angled mounts? If you're concerned with splashing.

You mentioned larger than .22lr passing through, so I'm gonna assume you don't care about splashing.

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Yes. I want my cake and eat it too. I want a target that both visually reacts as well as audibly reacts.

I was thinking using a target like this...

http://www.muddcreek.com/champion-duraseal-7-varmint-spinner-shooting-target-40954/

...and then welding or drilling a shackle and chain/wire cable to the weight at the bottom and then attaching a school bell to the end. That way when the target wobbles back and forth it shakes the bell. Ill then be able to hear it as well as see it.

I considered steel but I want something lightweight and easy to setup so that I can backpack it into the woods. I also prefer the self-healing material because its color-body unlike painted steel so I dont have to worry about repainting it all the time.

What are you referring to when you say "splashing"?

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    I looked at all the big names so I was hoping that someone knew of some small boutique company somewhere that sells what Im describing so I dont have to rig up something myself. I dont need any extra projects.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yes. I want my cake and eat it too. I want a target that both visually reacts as well as audibly reacts.

I was thinking using a target like this...

http://www.muddcreek.com/champion-duraseal-7-varmint-spinner-shooting-target-40954/

...and then welding or drilling a shackle and chain/wire cable to the weight at the bottom and then attaching a school bell to the end. That way when the target wobbles back and forth it shakes the bell. Ill then be able to hear it as well as see it.

I considered steel but I want something lightweight and easy to setup so that I can backpack it into the woods. I also prefer the self-healing material because its color-body unlike painted steel so I dont have to worry about repainting it all the time.

What are you referring to when you say "splashing"?

1. You can pack an AR500 plate in, with the stand.
    2. You don't have to repaint the target every 10 rounds. Regardless, paint is cheap.
    3. Splashing is when the round hits a plate and the fragments splash out. Also called spalling.

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    1. Im a weight weenie so Im always looking for lighter.
    2. I wasnt counting on every 10 rounds. Its a minor point. Just one less thing to do.
    3. Oh, ok. I guess thats one more thing too. :)

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    :mamoru:

I was looking to take my cousin into Kisatchie and setup some targets in the woods. Hes coming out of Dallas so Honey Island is too far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom