RM Holster vs Crossbreed Holster

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well, it's time for me to give a few thoughts on my holster decisions for my new EDC, a M&P Shield 9mm w/ attached Streamlight TLR-6 light.

Deciding on a holster that could accommodate a light was tough as not everyone can make a holster that holds a weapon and the light comfortably. After much research, I settled on buying a RM Holster (site sponsor) and one from Crossbreed (Supertuck Deluxe w/ added J-clips).

Crossbreed Holster:
    Pros:
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Hard to break
    • Can accommodate a tucked in shirt (somewhat)
    • Good retention

Cons:
    • F***ing HUGE
    • Difficult to get good grip on weapon during draw
    • $100 bucks roughly
    • J-hooks feel cheaply made
    • Prints more than RM Holster

RM Holster:
    Pros:
    • Dealing with Kee (owner and also a site sponsor) was AMAZING
    • Excellent retention - perfect balance of retention and release on draw
    • Doesn't print much as holster is not much bigger than gun
    • Made so you can very, very easily get a good solid grip on the gun
    • Comfortable and can be worn everywhere from 2:00 to 5:00
    • Feels better made than Crossbreed
    • Around 1/2 the price of Crossbreed
    • Owner is local and can make very, very specific requests

Cons:
    • Belt clip is one piece with holster and can't accommodate a tucked in shirt

All in all, the RM Holster really won it over for me. Kee was great to deal with. A few PMs / texts / and calls back and forth, and he went WAY out of his way to get a holster made for me in a super timely manner. He didn't have a mold for a TLR-6 yet, so he bought a TLR-6 and had it overnighted to him so he could make a perfect holster for me. After the holster was ready, he met me at my Crossfit gym to hand deliver it and to make sure it worked 100%.

The holster feels like it is made very well and is super comfortable. Last weekend I had the gun around 4:30 to 5:00 for a four and a half hour car ride and then all day in Houston. The clip gets a very good grip over whatever belt it is on. I love how the clip has a slight "hook" to the tip of it that really keeps it attached.

As for size, the holster itself is light and doesn't print (much) in any of the shorts / pants I have worn it in. My only complaint is that it can't be worn with a tucked in shirt. I know that's pretty hard for holsters, but it's definitely something I wish was a little easier.

I would definitely recommend that if you give Kee @ RM a shout if you are looking for a holster for any weapon you may have. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or respond here and I will answer honestly.

Pictures:
    2016-07-25 21.24.37.jpg2016-07-25 21.24.31.jpg2016-07-25 21.24.10.jpg2016-07-25 21.23.43.jpg2016-07-25 21.23.28.jpg

DerpMeister

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Zachary
    I have been carrying handguns pretty much every day; for 38 years now. Eight years ago, when I retired, I learned a lot, in a pretty quick way, about IWB strong side holsters. Been carrying many different types for the first year/year and a half, until I tried RM IWB. And that was it; no doubt the best I have ever seen, that's all I use for IWB... For 6+ years, now.

Keep in mind that I have had a lot of looking at other people carrying- or TRYING to carry concealed- IWB holsters. That includes all the training I have done for LSP and EBRSO, plus a half-dozen or so classes from some of the best in world I attended... like Tom Givens, Louis Awerbuck (God bless his life, which ended), etc. My point is that while I was just another student in there, I studied a lot of things. What really surprised me was that, IMO, most of those "best" holsters some seem to think, particularly those part cheap leather/part kydex things, are crap. Pretty much all of the people I saw talking good about them did so because they had read in a gun magazine about them... And had not tried anything else.

The problem can be that many folks simply don't have enough cash to keep buying different ones until they find one best for them. I've had over a dozen- JUST of IWB holsters. I learned very early, as a rookie state trooper, that the smart way to find a best-for-me holster; for whatever use; was simply worth the extra money. Some folks don't believe that. Okay.

Anyway... you will be glad you got the RM. Kee is one of the best- and nicest- manufacturers for gun goodies around. For damn sure, he's the best in Baton Rouge.

DerpMeister

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Zachary
    866-288-9778.

Dunno the local phone #; he works out of the tarp making place he owns right off of Airline Highway, within sight of I-110. The number above he will answer; just call him on that one.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Well, it's time for me to give a few thoughts on my holster decisions for my new EDC, a M&P Shield 9mm w/ attached Streamlight TLR-6 light.

Deciding on a holster that could accommodate a light was tough as not everyone can make a holster that holds a weapon and the light comfortably. After much research, I settled on buying a RM Holster (site sponsor) and one from Crossbreed (Supertuck Deluxe w/ added J-clips).

Crossbreed Holster:
    Pros:
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Hard to break
    • Can accommodate a tucked in shirt (somewhat)
    • Good retention

Cons:
    • F***ing HUGE
    • Difficult to get good grip on weapon during draw
    • $100 bucks roughly
    • J-hooks feel cheaply made
    • Prints more than RM Holster

RM Holster:
    Pros:
    • Dealing with Kee (owner and also a site sponsor) was AMAZING
    • Excellent retention - perfect balance of retention and release on draw
    • Doesn't print much as holster is not much bigger than gun
    • Made so you can very, very easily get a good solid grip on the gun
    • Comfortable and can be worn everywhere from 2:00 to 5:00
    • Feels better made than Crossbreed
    • Around 1/2 the price of Crossbreed
    • Owner is local and can make very, very specific requests

Cons:
    • Belt clip is one piece with holster and can't accommodate a tucked in shirt

All in all, the RM Holster really won it over for me. Kee was great to deal with. A few PMs / texts / and calls back and forth, and he went WAY out of his way to get a holster made for me in a super timely manner. He didn't have a mold for a TLR-6 yet, so he bought a TLR-6 and had it overnighted to him so he could make a perfect holster for me. After the holster was ready, he met me at my Crossfit gym to hand deliver it and to make sure it worked 100%.

The holster feels like it is made very well and is super comfortable. Last weekend I had the gun around 4:30 to 5:00 for a four and a half hour car ride and then all day in Houston. The clip gets a very good grip over whatever belt it is on. I love how the clip has a slight "hook" to the tip of it that really keeps it attached.

As for size, the holster itself is light and doesn't print (much) in any of the shorts / pants I have worn it in. My only complaint is that it can't be worn with a tucked in shirt. I know that's pretty hard for holsters, but it's definitely something I wish was a little easier.

I would definitely recommend that if you give Kee @ RM a shout if you are looking for a holster for any weapon you may have. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or respond here and I will answer honestly.

Pictures:
    View attachment 64572View attachment 64571View attachment 64570View attachment 64569View attachment 64568

I mostly carry in my Lowrider, also. When I have to tuck a shirt I use a Comptac Minotar, this has worked best for me.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    How would the RM work for AIWB carry? Looks like it's more of a 4 o'clock position holster design? Or would it work well at 1 o'clock position? Also, is that a loop for the belt instead of a clip? It's a rather large loop, is it well attached to the holster?

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Don't have one of his holsters but have dealt with him before.
    Great guy who I trust.
    Would not hesitate to buy from him if I was in the holster market.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    How would the RM work for AIWB carry? Looks like it's more of a 4 o'clock position holster design? Or would it work well at 1 o'clock position? Also, is that a loop for the belt instead of a clip? It's a rather large loop, is it well attached to the holster?

RM holsters don't have clips or loops. The piece you are looking at is excess kydex, from the holster, that has been folded over to form a "clip." It's not adjustable.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    RM holsters don't have clips or loops. The piece you are looking at is excess kydex, from the holster, that has been folded over to form a "clip." It's not adjustable.

Thanks, I was wondering. He could maybe use some better photos on his website so you can see what that is...lol.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thanks, I was wondering. He could maybe use some better photos on his website so you can see what that is...lol.

The upside is that it keeps the belt as close to the holster as possible, to reduce printing.
    The downside is that it is not adjustable, is not modular, and if it breaks... you need a new holster.

87c9ab10-0371-4548-8e62-e14c5590a8dd.jpg

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    The downside is that it is not adjustable, is not modular, and if it breaks... you need a new holster.

87c9ab10-0371-4548-8e62-e14c5590a8dd.jpg

It can break. I have been using 4 RMs with different firearms for the last 4-5 yrs. (ranging from an LC9 to a Sig 227) I had one break for a single stack 9mm. I was the cause, however, since I started putting the clip over the belt loop instead of over the belt, hence opening the clip considerably more than it was designed for.
    Even though it was MY fault (as far as I was concerned), I had a replacement, at no charge, in my mailbox, in a matter of days after I contacted Kee.
    I don't think you will find better customer svc...anywhere...

Last edited:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    So for those who have the RM, how is that clip? I've seen some say they feel a loop is the best as there is no way for it to come "unclipped". But I've never seen a clip made this way. I'm curious how well it would work.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    So for those who have the RM, how is that clip? I've seen some say they feel a loop is the best as there is no way for it to come "unclipped". But I've never seen a clip made this way. I'm curious how well it would work.

I practice every week, both dry fire and live. I time myself from time to time during live fire, and with an untucked shirt to keep it as realistic as possible. I avg @ 2 seconds from the beep to the first shot. (Not the best out there, but certainly not the worst)
    The reason I mention this is that with all of the practice, I have never had one of the RM holsters pull out of the waist band. I've actually practiced wearing my work clothes, scrubs, and the clip holds in place even with the thin waistband/drawstring of a pair of scrubs.
    Maybe you aren't aware that the "clip" actually has a formed hook on the end, that hooks itself on the bottom of the belt, eliminating the concern of the holster being pulled out?
    That is why Kee will ask you the size of your belt, i.e. 1.5" or 2".
    It works...well....plain and simple.

Last edited:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Thanks for the info, Log Island. I did see that when ordering you have to give the belt size, so that makes sense now.

Top Bottom