The Great Flood of 2016 - aftermath prep

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone is safe and making it through. I was also flooded out, so I know how so many feel. Thankfully, everyone in my family is ok. I hope all of your families are as well.

Has what happened made you change your mind on things? Will you prepare better in different ways? If so, what are your thoughts and how would you do differently from now on?

Example:

I will make sure I keep an external hard drive and an encrypted flash drive filled with all my important information and personal documents (even photos of family scanned in etc.), pack more clothes (no matter what), grab more food than I think is necessary, grab extra linens/bedding etc. and a book or magazine.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I keep Campbell's heart healthy chunky soups that can be heated up quickly for food and one can is a good meal and it's low in sodium and high in potassium.
    I bought some of that freeze dried survival food and it's a joke. 4oz constitutes a meal out of one their pouches which is 1/4 of a coffee mug. I figure if I need to carry around enough water to make their chicken broth I might as well have some vegetables and beef or chicken to go along with it and get a whole 15oz for a meal.
    MRES are surprisingly good in some iterations but a can of soup takes up less room. If you have to carry it on your back the freeze dried chicken broth might make more sense.
    I'd also carry antiseptic, mouth wash, toothpaste, antibiotics, etc in with the bug out bag.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I lived through Katrina and had 12 ft of water. Lost everything besides my car (parked it at a garage down town).

Things I did different:
    All pictures and important documents backed up to two separate 1.5 tb hard drives. One goes into a small portable safe with hard copies of important documents, other is stored in the living room so I can access it easier to back up things more often, but I try to make sure both are backed up.
    I do not keep large sums of cash at home, lost a lot last time, but I do keep enough cash that I plan to take with me, that will cover most unexpected costs that may arise.
    I don't store a ton of meat in a freezer, if I plan to eat it this week I buy it. No point of buying it and storing it and never getting to it. Ends up spoiling when the power goes out.
    I bought a large footlocker. Big enough to fit in the back of my escalade. It should fit my sbr's and pistols. It's black, so should be hard to see against my dark tint and black interior. If I evacuate I plan to head straight to a siblings house and put up the stuff immediately, not planning to stop at any hotels.
    There's other things but I will have to think of it

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom