Pc vs chrome book?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    My 11 year old is wanting a laptop and planning to get one tomorrow. I am not very computer savvy. I have ran windows based pcs and currently have a toshiba satellite that does the job for me.
    He is wanting a lower end model (price point) and I know nothing about a chrome book.
    Any suggestions? It will be for school work, general surfing and not much else I think.
    Personally, I think computers peaked at xp and I hate windows 10, but the next generation is more used to iPads than computers, so....

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Chrome book can only access the internet. If he has any photos or documents they would have to be saved online. Without Internet the Chrome book doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    If it's for school or any type of work, do not get a chromebook. It's main use is for surfing the internet and has very limited memory. The main issue is that the operating system is chrome. A lot of programs and plug ins will not run on this operating system, such as, microsoft word to type papers or going to a secure site like chase bank (can't check your account on chrome). If you can get a windows-based laptop for cheap, I would go that route. Limited memory is not a big deal because you can always connect to an external hard drive. We have a chromebook, laptops, ipads, and a desktop at my house. The chromebook is the most limited tool. If your son is just intending to watch youtube videos and surf the internet, the chromebook will do; but anything more and you're better off getting a laptop/mac/even ipad.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    The best value is in the $400 to $550 range IMHO, and IT is what I do for a living. XP was the bomb. W7 was better. W10 is way better than W8, and it's growing on me. For an 11 year old, I would get W10, he will love it. Check what Best Buy has on sale, only buy what is on sale.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Not sure how much online shopping you do but they are always running sales on the Microsoft Surface computers which come with keyboards but also have touchscreens. I believe you can get them in the ~$500 price range. Scratch that they are ~$800.

If anyone is looking for a desktop style computer you should look at Fry's Electronics online. I get their advertisements and I was able to pick up Corei5 and Core i7 computers for about ~$300 got one each for my girls at that price.

Be careful buying low end laptops as the performance is not really there and all you will hear is complaints (Don't ask me how I know) even just browsing the internet and playing web based games on the internet.

Get the fastest CPU you can afford with the most RAM you can afford as well. I would say a minimum of 4GB but 8GB was would be preferred. Internet explorer is a RAM hog once you start opening tabs it sucks up your RAM like a man dying of thirst does water.

Top Bottom