Honey Island Plate Rack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've been going to Honey Island shooting range for years. I've never once had an issue with a RO that has been running the rifle or shotgun line, but always have issues with the RO's running the pistol line. Today was another example.

A buddy of mine (another BS member) and I went out today, to sight in some AR's and then go run some carry rounds through a few new guns at the pistol range. At the rifle range it was smooth sailing. We setup up our targets, sighted everything in, packed up and made our way to the pistol range. As soon as we get over there, we unloaded the pistols, which included the AR 9mm Carbine. Immediately the RO gave us **** about it.

Range Officer tells us that our AR 9mm Carbine isn't a pistol caliber so we can't shoot it.

The stupidity of that statement still makes my head hurt.

Range Officer said that a 16" AR 9mm Carbine shoots at velocities that would tear up the rack, so we can't shoot it.

A 9mm round picks up velocity by a few hundred FPS, but still has no where near the energy of a large caliber pistol round. So saying that a 9mm carbine will tear up the plate rack is absurd when I have, on multiple occasions, fired a .454 Casull revolver at the plate rack without a single complaint.

Range Officer said that what he really meant was that he didn't want us shooting a rifle, because he didn't wants other people shooting rifles.

Finally, he admitted his ********. So the RO (who I hope is reading this), was attempting to tell us we are wrong, when in fact he just wanted to be lazy and not have to check the other shooters firearms. His exact words were "I don't want anyone else to get the idea that they can shoot rifles if they see you guys shooting one." Well Mr. RO, if you politely explained to any inquiring minds that what we have is indeed a Pistol Caliber Carbine, then there probably won't be any problems if Bubba Redneck was trying to shoot his .270 at the rack. If you would have told us this from the beginning, we wouldn't have had any complaints. However, you chose to argue about 9mm velocities and destroying the already broken plate rack.

Honey Island needs to fix their derpy pistol line Range Officer problem ASAP.

If you are reading this, I'd be happy to have a technical discussion any time you would like, but DO NOT argue with me about petty technicalities when your reasoning is truly because you are lazy.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Dave,
    I am noticing you really have a thing for Bubba Redneck. He sure seems to get around as well, being part of the Cajun Navy and the Honey Island crowd. Man you are plagued by one guy. He might be stalking you. The RO is probably a friend or relative of the B.R. guy.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    We must have been out there at the same time. I was first down by thhe 22 bunny targets with a friend shooting his 22s. Then we went over to the rifle range to shoot his AR & my stepson's 700 sniper rifle. Then I went back to finish out with the 38 & 9mm pistols.

When we got there, a little before 10am, it was pretty crowded. I don't think I've seen so many cars before. We've only been going for a few months, I'm sure there have been busier days, but I'm guessing the extra shooters had the pistol ROs on edge a little. I'll have to admit they were a little more up your ass then usual, and not as friendly and chatty as I'm used to. But I just chalked it up to it being so busy and they wanted to keep on top of things. I'd rather that than someone get hurt or something get damaged.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'd rather that than someone get hurt or something get damaged.

I agree, but there is a point where I question the integrity of the range officers. There used to be a stupid range officer out there that carried a 1911 cocked and safety off. One day, one of those range officers is going to hurt themselves or someone else, and it will probably get the range shut down.

- - - Updated - - -

Dave,
    I am noticing you really have a thing for Bubba Redneck. He sure seems to get around as well, being part of the Cajun Navy and the Honey Island crowd. Man you are plagued by one guy. He might be stalking you. The RO is probably a friend or relative of the B.R. guy.

Stay in your lane.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I know some ranges won't let you shoot a .22 SBR on the pistol line.

My problem is finding a range that allows movement while shooting!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I've been going to Honey Island shooting range for years. I've never once had an issue with a RO that has been running the rifle or shotgun line, but always have issues with the RO's running the pistol line. Today was another example.

A buddy of mine (another BS member) and I went out today, to sight in some AR's and then go run some carry rounds through a few new guns at the pistol range. At the rifle range it was smooth sailing. We setup up our targets, sighted everything in, packed up and made our way to the pistol range. As soon as we get over there, we unloaded the pistols, which included the AR 9mm Carbine. Immediately the RO gave us **** about it.

Range Officer tells us that our AR 9mm Carbine isn't a pistol caliber so we can't shoot it.

The stupidity of that statement still makes my head hurt.

Range Officer said that a 16" AR 9mm Carbine shoots at velocities that would tear up the rack, so we can't shoot it.

A 9mm round picks up velocity by a few hundred FPS, but still has no where near the energy of a large caliber pistol round. So saying that a 9mm carbine will tear up the plate rack is absurd when I have, on multiple occasions, fired a .454 Casull revolver at the plate rack without a single complaint.

Range Officer said that what he really meant was that he didn't want us shooting a rifle, because he didn't wants other people shooting rifles.

Finally, he admitted his ********. So the RO (who I hope is reading this), was attempting to tell us we are wrong, when in fact he just wanted to be lazy and not have to check the other shooters firearms. His exact words were "I don't want anyone else to get the idea that they can shoot rifles if they see you guys shooting one." Well Mr. RO, if you politely explained to any inquiring minds that what we have is indeed a Pistol Caliber Carbine, then there probably won't be any problems if Bubba Redneck was trying to shoot his .270 at the rack. If you would have told us this from the beginning, we wouldn't have had any complaints. However, you chose to argue about 9mm velocities and destroying the already broken plate rack.

Honey Island needs to fix their derpy pistol line Range Officer problem ASAP.

If you are reading this, I'd be happy to have a technical discussion any time you would like, but DO NOT argue with me about petty technicalities when your reasoning is truly because you are lazy.

I was down range on the rifle range when it was called hot on me. Thank God for the observant child that saw me when the RO didn't.

Honey Island is like Bayoushooter in real life.

You must've stepped on snek.

Spot on pal.

The truth hurts.

Dave,

When you're right, you're right. Dave, be honored you have a stalker.

I agree, but there is a point where I question the integrity of the range officers. There used to be a stupid range officer out there that carried a 1911 cocked and safety off. One day, one of those range officers is going to hurt themselves or someone else, and it will probably get the range shut down.

- - - Updated - - -

Stay in your lane.

Again, that place is dangerous. Someone will get hurt or killed there. It won't be me because I won't be there.

And to think I've heard people complaining about not being able to drawn from a holster there. Yikes.

I'm so glad I now have access to a private range.

JR1572

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    If it was indeed a 16" rifle why not just follow the rules and shoot at the rifle range?

Be the same if I took a Winchester 92 over there and was complaining about them not letting me shoot my rifle because it's a pistol caliber.

You prob had a greater than thou attitude also or do you just save that for your behind the keyboard personality?

What is their policy with other pistol calibers such as .22 rifles and such? I have not been there in a long time, thankfully.

While his statement about the velocity may be wrong you were still trying to shoot a rifle at a pistol range.

Last edited:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I have seen ARs being shot on the pistol range there before. I always assumed they were pistol caliber. We were shooting a 10/22 down at the metal rabbits.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Here's the deal:

It's always been verboten to shoot the plate racks with ANY rifle. People see you shooting plates with your 9mm, and they'll get the idea that any rifle is fine, and destroy thousands of dollars with their .30-06.

Used to be you could shoot paper next to the plate racks with your rifle, and the plates with a pistol. That has changed. Because so many people shooting paper targets were hitting the plate racks with the pass through.

If you want to shoot your carbine at the pistol range, move to a spot between the rimfire on the left, and the plates on the right. Set up a target and have fun.

Those range officers are all volunteers who donate their time so that we may have some fun, safely. Have a little respect, or better yet, become a range officer yourself.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    While his statement about the velocity may be wrong you were still trying to shoot a rifle at a pistol range.

A range told me the same thing about shooting a pistol cal rifle on the pistol range "it's a rifle so shoot it with the rifles".

So I damm sure brought a AK 7.62x39 "pistol" the next week. And guess where they wanted me to shoot it? "Yep rifle range".

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I get it... I had a marlin camp 9 out there and was given trouble about it (years ago..).

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If it was indeed a 16" rifle why not just follow the rules and shoot at the rifle range?

Rifles are allowed at the pistol range.

You prob had a greater than thou attitude also or do you just save that for your behind the keyboard personality?

You're still salty, because I deleted one of your sale threads and gave you an infraction, huh? It's ok... I did it to a lot of derps.

What is their policy with other pistol calibers such as .22 rifles and such? I have not been there in a long time, thankfully.

You can fire .22lr rifles at the pistol range and at plates. However, there is a dedicated .22lr range with .22lr squirrel shaped plates, so there isn't much of a reason to shoot a .22lr at the larger plate racks.

It's always been verboten to shoot the plate racks with ANY rifle.

I've shot the plates with rifles before. However, nothing over 9mm. Regardless, anyone who says a 9mm round out of a rifle is more detrimental to the plate rack than a .454 Casull (and even .500 S&W) is an idiot.

People see you shooting plates with your 9mm, and they'll get the idea that any rifle is fine, and destroy thousands of dollars with their .30-06.

And that's for the RO to deal with, not me. Feeding me bull, instead of telling Bubba Redneck with his SKS to not shoot the plate rack is lazy.

Those range officers are all volunteers who donate their time so that we may have some fun, safely. Have a little respect, or better yet, become a range officer yourself.

I've said it before. These Range Officers need some training. I know what you need to do to don the orange safety vest, and it's comical. Example: Mr. No-Safety 1911.

A range told me the same thing about shooting a pistol cal rifle on the pistol range "it's a rifle so shoot it with the rifles".

So I damm sure brought a AK 7.62x39 "pistol" the next week. And guess where they wanted me to shoot it? "Yep rifle range".

Right. I'd love to show up with an AR-9 "pistol" and slam the rack down. I asked the RO "If I take the stock off and shoot it like a pistol, is that okay?" He wasn't amused, and I think he got my point.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Not salty at all as you like to put it. That is water under the bridge and not the least bit worried about your silly infraction. What I'm talking about is your overall attitude towards others you don't agree with or just feel you're better than. It was not an attack on you though....just a simple question.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not salty at all as you like to put it. That is water under the bridge. What I'm talking about is your overall attitude towards others you don't agree with or just feel you're better than. It was not an attack on you though....just a simple question.

If he would have just told me that rifles aren't allowed from the start because (insert valid reason) then this wouldn't be an issue, but he had to play smart guy and talk velocities and 9mm destroying the plate rack... You know I love a good argument.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    If you show up with a 9mm SBR with a 4 inch barrel, is the answer still no?

I was told I couldn't use a .22 MG on the .22 steel.

JR1572

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My thing is either make it about "caliber" OR "stock/no stock".

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom