Update: Aging new leather?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I purchased a pair of brown leather Corcoran jump boots that Slickguns posted the other day as a project. I want to age them to make them very comfortable while making them aesthetically pleasing as well... I came across this write up:

https://m.reddit.com/r/malefashiona...order/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=false

Do any of you have any tips or pointers? Any of you guys do anything like this before? What do you guys think?

Last edited:

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    first determine if there is spray paint or polish on them ,,, probably paint rubbing alchol and a scotch bright lightly all over take your time while watching tv

then mink oil in the flex areas

then wear and break boots in for a while ,, possibly wet and wear for a while

now horse hair clean and polish after you have worn for a while and mink oiled the flex areas several times

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Haven't done it with boots, but I have treated boat shoes, belts, leather rifle slings, etc. with hot neatsfoot oil. Just keep putting on light coats until the leather doesn't want to absorb it anymore. Putting it in the sun between coats helps. Makes the leather a bit darker colored but very supple and way more waterproof. Also, smells a little "oily" for a while but soon goes away.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Thanks for the speedy responses guys!

Where can I buy leather treatment products in the new Orleans are like Neatsfoot oil and leather aging gel? I have a crap ton of leather boots and Im always looking for stuff to make them hold up and last longer while providing more comfort.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    mink oil walmart and bare hand rub makes aging fast , please remove spray paint first

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Haven't done it with boots, but I have treated boat shoes, belts, leather rifle slings, etc. with hot neatsfoot oil. Just keep putting on light coats until the leather doesn't want to absorb it anymore. Putting it in the sun between coats helps. Makes the leather a bit darker colored but very supple and way more waterproof. Also, smells a little "oily" for a while but soon goes away.

This.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to leather.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Sno-Seal-Original-Waterproofing-Protector/dp/B00O9OA01W

Strip them if there is any type of coating then use this stuff per the directions. You heat the boot in the oven then slather this on. You can do it a couple times if you want. Wal Mart used to sell it. Or ace hardware. It gives a nice patina and after a couple days wear on the boots the creases start to show where the boot bends.

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    If the new Corcoran jump boots are anything like the ones I had while in the military you'll likely want a way to loosen up the soles.
    Those were the stiffest soles I have even encountered in my life.
    The uppers will distress/wear easily, the soles- not so much.
    Happy walking. :)

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    If the new Corcoran jump boots are anything like the ones I had while in the military you'll likely want a way to loosen up the soles.
    Those were the stiffest soles I have even encountered in my life.
    The uppers will distress/wear easily, the soles- not so much.
    Happy walking. :)

I figure they cant be any worse than my thick soled Dr Marten steel toes...but we will see.

Thanks for the input guys!

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Wet them down inside & out with Lexol Leather Conditioner and wear them until they dry.

5bc4f918-b6d7-4357-905a-5321eb3818c0_1.67eef5fd8ddcd365a3dcb3f4d548c370.jpeg

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    New boots came in today. Will post pics as I progress through this process.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Heres a stock pic of what the boots looked like out of box.

1510_Single_500_86806__49975.1430864577.1280.1280.jpg

Oh mylanta were these things rought the first day I wore them! My ankles were bruised and sore after a 12 hr day. I took them home and beat them with a towel wrapped hammer like they owed me money...then I wore them for a few days until some of my leather products showed up from Amazon as they loosened up. Today I rubbed the boots down with some rubbing alcohol on a rag. I then applied a liberal amount of 100% neatsfoot oil and let it soak in for about a half hour. I had the leather laces soaking in oil as I worked. After that I ran about 3 coats of the dark brown leather aging gel. Picture only does the actual appearance so much justice. They are more of a chocolate color after applying the products.

OcWBUKs.jpg

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Beautiful boots.
    Tip: get fid of those leather laces and get some high quality cotton or nylon laces meant for hiking boots.
    Those leather ones will snap when you least expect it, especially since you soaked them in oil...

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Beautiful boots.
    Tip: get fid of those leather laces and get some high quality cotton or nylon laces meant for hiking boots.
    Those leather ones will snap when you least expect it, especially since you soaked them in oil...

Thanks! They came with a leather pair and a nylon pair that look like the leather. Why would soaking them make them more prone to breakage?

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Thanks! They came with a leather pair and a nylon pair that look like the leather. Why would soaking them make them more prone to breakage?

Leather laces are prone to breakage as it is.
    Soaking them just made them much more malleable and prone to snap when you pull them tight.
    (I've actually had that happen to me, thought it would be a good idea to condition my laces as well. Turns out it wasn't so good an idea after all.)

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Leather laces are prone to breakage as it is.
    Soaking them just made them much more malleable and prone to snap when you pull them tight.
    (I've actually had that happen to me, thought it would be a good idea to condition my laces as well. Turns out it wasn't so good an idea after all.)

Welp ill just have to order another pair when the time comes. Or Ill do some research as to what else is recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom