FEMA or Flood Insurance -- Response?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you do have insurance be aware that the insurance company will likely make the proceeds payable to you AND your mortgage holder, and in our case mailed to them and not us. Our house was a total loss after Katrina and they insisted on using the check to pay off the mortgage leaving us with nothing to rebuild. We ended up having to take a brand new mortgage out through SBA for twice the old one (prices having gone up so much) for a much smaller house. At 60 yrs old that really sucks starting over. We were within 7 yrs of paying off our old one when we lost it. Didn't do food stamps, FEMA trailer, or any of that stuff. Went and took out a loan for a 5th wheel trailer which we lived in for over two years while rebuilding and just made do. Ironically, we lost the trailer in the big flood here in March. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches and try and keep your head above water (so to speak) as best you can.

My girlfriend found out about that after Hurricane Gustav. She had a huge oak tree in her house. Had Allstate and only owed a small amount to the mortgage co. Check was sent to the mortgage company to pay off and have it canceled. Well the mortgage didn't seem to want to do that and she ended up in Federal court about 5 times. Never got back in her home. Oh and her Allstate agent for over 20 couldn't be found.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    When the mortgage company tells you it's not required, it doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it for your own protection. It can flood anywhere on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    When the mortgage company tells you it's not required, it doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it for your own protection. It can flood anywhere on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I salute you sir!!!!!!

Personal responsibility. That's what it's all about, if you are willing to take 100% of the risk on yourself- don't buy flood insurance. But don't come crying when your home floods and you don't have insurance. No matter what elevation your home is at.

I've had flood insurance on my home since 1981, and I will continue to have flood insurance on my home until the day that I die. I am in a flood zone and my home did flood, 24" in the house. FEMA gave me $1831.57, why? I haven't an idea.

Insurance, well, in my opinion not so good. Filed my claim on the 16th, it took until the 26th for an adjuster to get out to my home. Have been promised a $5k advance on the settlement but have not seen hide nor hair of it yet. Proof of Loss document was emailed to us on 9/2, their were quite a few mistakes in the estimate. My wife and I studied the document, made notes of needed corrections and sent it back to the adjuster. Contents claim has not been discussed yet. I expect to have in the neighborhood of a $150k claim, contents and structure.

We own our home out right, no mortgage, I expect all payments to come to me, lump some for the claim, then a second payment for O&P, once I produce proof of repair or signed contract with a builder.

I have not been entirely pleased with the performance of our insurance company. I reside in the Gonzales area and was assigned an adjuster working the Zackary/Greenwell Springs area. That adjuster, kept pushing the date of her visit to our home back. My wife contacted our local agent, explained the situation and was told "the insurance companies underestimated the number of claims" so they did not hire enough adjusters. At this time we were not aware of the conflict in geography the adjuster was faced with. 5 days later we were still waiting in the adjuster, having been put off yet again. My wife went on the warpath!!!! Calling our local agent, the insurance company, and the adjuster's company. That's when we found out about the geographical issue. Our local agent had nerve enough to tell my wife that the adjuster has already been to your home, because everyone in the Gonzales area has been seen by the adjuster. My wife knowing that we hadn't been seen by an adjuster yet, literally reached through the phone and choked the stupid b!tc#. Believe it or not an adjuster called us within the hour and visited our home that very afternoon. 10 days after filing the claim.

I have had issues with our representative at the insurance agency before, this is a general example of how we have been treated when handling any business with the agency. Originally the agency was owned and run by a longtime friend, he still owns the agency but now spends little or no time running it, having turned the business over to his son. Naturally I no longer get the service I once received. After having been a customer at that agency since the day they opened the door I am very disappointed in their response to the issues I was having.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I agree on insurance. My adjuster came the Monday aftwr (7 days exactly). Told me I would have an advance of 15k in 7-10 days. Called at 10 days and no check. NFIP days it never got entered. Adjuster and NFIP pointing fingers at each other. I got state Farm involved also. Someone said it may have been their fault. Anyway, finally got it cut and supposedly on ups for Tuesday delivery. We shall see. My estimate of total claim will be 75k$. I'm floating the contractor from my cash but I'm out now. I need that to keep moving. Adjuster days final will be another week and a half or so. With advance, I should make it. But I am broke.

Let's talk about fema now. I signed up on the 19th. Heard jack from them. At all. My mom signs up yesterday abd rep is coming today. I called them livid (this was my 5tb call to them). Basically, once it leaves their hands to the rep contractor, there is no checks or balances.

I'm fed up. I called Garrett Graves office last night. Got a nice lady who said if I don't get a call today to call her back.

2.5 weeks since my house was flooded and I still haven't gotten a single penny, even paying 1100$ a year for insurance. People who didn't pay for insurance are getting checks larger than my advance with no mortgage ******** to deal with. What the hell am i paying for? I think it's time to look into self insuring.

I will say that my agent has been helpful. And my adjuster has been helpful. But fema and NFIP has been total failures.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Filed claim Sunday that we flooded. Insurance adjuster came on that Wednesday. Had structure no content coverage. By Monday I had a $25k advance check. FEMA guy came last Wednesday. Denied fema with the exception of renters assistance (even though I don't rent anywhere) and got $1,450 for rental assistance. Still waiting for final word from insurance company and was advised by several insurance people that fed guidelines state that companies have 60 days to make judgement of amount they are to pay.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    If they take much more than 30 days, my house will be back together. I'm about to just go take a loam against my 401k, get my home back together and pay myself back when insurance arrived. The bank will he happy when I go to cash that check and it's ready for final inspection. That would make life easier actually....

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Just ordered cabinets and floors. Going put deposit on granite this week. Just need my insurance to keep contractor working to get those things in!

He says he will be floating sheet rock and finishing this week then maybe starting paint next week. After that it's trim and home stretch.

Need my insurance money!

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Let them trim before you paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He's doing both. Frankly I don't know the right order. I build cars, not houses lol. He may have said trim first.

Wht though? Seems to me it would be easier to install trim over painted walls than trim out around it. But I no builder by any stretch.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When the walls are painted you can't see the studs anymore! :-)

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    When the walls are painted you can't see the studs anymore! :-)

Lol. Well that makes sense. And here I was waiting for some building wisdom about correct material applications or something. Thanks man.

I ordered by cabinets and floors yesterday. Gonna put deposit on the granite this week sometime.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It just makes life easier on all the subs, cabinets first so trim can but, trim guy can find his studs, painter will caulk then spray primer, then roll and brush in the walls and trim colors.

Top Bottom