FEMA or Flood Insurance -- Response?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    What sort of responses are flood-damaged members getting from FEMA or (for those insured) from your insurance company? My cousin had no flood insurance (their home had never even had flood waters in sight) and has been denied by FEMA (apparently makes too much?), so she and her family are looking into SBA loan or 401K loan. They did get the DSNAP card, and will be filing for the sales tax refund, but neither of those amount to much. Lots of decisions to be made!

Sadly, she had planned on retiring in 2-3 years, now that's unlikely! They're still coming to my house for showers and dinner, but often now sleep in their gutted home; I'd probably do the same. Their house is gutted but has power, a working toilet, functional HVAC, cable, and hot/cold water, so at least it's not like they're sleeping in a tent.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I have one room in my house that got water in in. The insurance adjuster come out last Friday and did his thing. I have not heard from the insurance company as of yet on a settlement. As was instructed, I also filed with FEMA. I recieved a automated voicemail week before last to apply for an SBA loan (I wont need it thankfully). I didn't think FEMA would even come out to do an inspection, but lat night an inspector called and set up an appointment for 11am today. I'll let you know what they say.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    If you do have insurance be aware that the insurance company will likely make the proceeds payable to you AND your mortgage holder, and in our case mailed to them and not us. Our house was a total loss after Katrina and they insisted on using the check to pay off the mortgage leaving us with nothing to rebuild. We ended up having to take a brand new mortgage out through SBA for twice the old one (prices having gone up so much) for a much smaller house. At 60 yrs old that really sucks starting over. We were within 7 yrs of paying off our old one when we lost it. Didn't do food stamps, FEMA trailer, or any of that stuff. Went and took out a loan for a 5th wheel trailer which we lived in for over two years while rebuilding and just made do. Ironically, we lost the trailer in the big flood here in March. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches and try and keep your head above water (so to speak) as best you can.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ... Went and took out a loan for a 5th wheel trailer which we lived in for over two years while rebuilding and just made do. Ironically, we lost the trailer in the big flood here in March...

Ironically, my cousin had maybe a year ago bought a travel trailer. It was parked in the backyard, flooded, total loss.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    If you do have insurance be aware that the insurance company will likely make the proceeds payable to you AND your mortgage holder

We had the same issue after Katrina, we had roof damage and we were able to talk the mortgage company into sending us the proceeds. We bought the materials and paid to have the roof relayed. This time I am within 7 months of paying off the house so I'll be damned if the mortgage company is going to get anything. It will be a fight no doubt.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    My insurance company came the Tuesday after the flood FEMA that Friday. Got my Ins. Advance yesterday and FEMA is offering rental assistance. Last time I bought a 27footer that we toughed it out in for two months until the house was "done enough". This time we moved everthing out Friday before the flood and had too much in storage and we have no plans of moving back in, so we found a house to rent.

Back to the insurance aspect of it. On Saturday while evacuating I called my former adjuster and made him my current adjuster. He was very fair and very frank with me last time. He had a case of drag-in-ass but this time he has all my info already in the system so a few adjustments and we should be settling much faster.

lp11

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Livingston Parish
    Fema

We didn't live in a flood zone like many, never required flood insurance, got approx 6 inches of water in den/ living room area, of course insurance denied.
    FEMA came out , inspected, a week later denied for insufficient damage.
    We appealed, they denied it. We were told to go to a disaster relief site, closest one in Springfield. After reviewing our paperwork, pictures and documents, he said must have been an oversite, he would help push it through. He got on the phone, I could tell from your his look he was shocked from the answer on the other end.
    They denied us again, did offer a sba loan. He didn't have an answer for us after that.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^^^^Keep going back and asking.... don't settle for no.

ONe bit of advice for y'all... If (when) you have trouble with your mortgage company distributing the funds there's a state organization that can help. Its the Office of Financial Institutions. They are very good at encouraging the mtg co to distribute the funds on a timely basis...

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I have insurance. He came last Monday. Somehow, someone dropped the ball on entering something. Adjuster and fema pointing fingers at each other. No advance check, and I'm almost out of cash paying my contractor. I am behond pissed. I made the claim 2.5 weeks ago and I cannot get a single penny after paying 1100$ a year for insurance. People without insurance are getting money before me. I just want to keep my contractor working so I can move back in my house

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have insurance. He came last Monday. Somehow, someone dropped the ball on entering something. Adjuster and fema pointing fingers at each other. No advance check, and I'm almost out of cash paying my contractor. I am behond pissed. I made the claim 2.5 weeks ago and I cannot get a single penny after paying 1100$ a year for insurance. People without insurance are getting money before me. I just want to keep my contractor working so I can move back in my house

Sucks bro last time they gave me my advances timely but took 4 months to finish the claim. I floated more than $20 on credit and was out an additional $8000 of my cash for 4months my credit score went from 817 to 730's. Talking about frustrated. I feel your pain brother.

NickelPython357

Revolverist
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La.
    My mom got 3.5 ft. of water in a place that had never flooded in the 30 plus yrs she lived there. Denied for homeowners and content by her ins. co. Shelter. FEMA contractor / inspector came by last Sat. Still havent heard anything back. total loss of all her belongings, tore out rock up to 4 ft. pulled up all tile and hardwood flooring. Looking at a major amount of work just to get the house livable and then starting with nothing to fill it back up. She is 74 and was about to retire. The house is totally paid off so that is a big plus right now, no mortgage or anything to deal with.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I hate to tell you this, but if she got 3.5', taking 4' of rock out isn't enough. You need to go 2' over the water line to ensure you got it all. When I tore mine out, water was in Monday morning, out by Tuesday afternoon and I started Wednesday. I had water wicked up 1' above the water line that fast. It was dry at 2' above but I went to 4' because it makes hanging the new stuff easier.

(I had 12", was dry at 36", still wet St 24". I removed 48")

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    SVT, you may be right, but you've got to prove it to the adjuster on up... before you do tear out get the adjuster back and show him.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    SVT, you may be right, but you've got to prove it to the adjuster on up... before you do tear out get the adjuster back and show him.

Mine told me to do that over phone and take plenty pics. When he showed up and I explained why I did 4' (the materials is cheaper than the labor to cut 1' off every sheet), he agreed and said 4' would be covered anyway.

The adjusters are the ticket. They have a lot of power to help or hurt you.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Now I see one of the local lawyers is telling folks that if they were told by their mortgage company, bank, insurance company, etc that they were not in a flood plain and did not need to get flood insurance, and then subsequently flooded, they may be able to sue(?)

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    You can sue for anything. And, unfortunately, people do.

Frankly i thought it was stupid that they made me. Now, I don't beleieve that ANYWHERE is incapable of flooding. (Barring top floors of condos, anyone below can have bathtub run over abide them).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom