Vortex Golden Eagle HD?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Anyone have any thoughts on this new scope from Vortex? Looks like it may be just right for F-Class and BR type shooting, but a little concerned about the second focal plane as the only option. Their reasoning makes sense but wonder what you guys think of the features especially for the price. Anyone actually see one yet? Had been looking at the NXS 8x32 for the extra headroom, lower price, choice of FFP or SFP, and the extra magnification is really only marginally useful anyway. Still... the HD looks pretty good.

5erbye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It does well for its price. At 25x, I can't tell the difference from my Swarovski Z5. Its biggest shortcoming is the parallax (focusing knob on left) is much too coarse. That is, at higher powers it's tough to precisely focus, but you eventually manage. I also noticed I had to move my eye further back from the ocular lens than I do on other scopes. To zero the elevation and windage knobs you have to loosen three screws with an Allen wrench. Overall, I'm satisfied with it.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I think you shoot HP
    You know Robert Bose?
    He is a sling shooter that lives near you.
    I think he just recently bought one of those that he has been really happy with.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I would venture to say that 95% of mid/long range f class shooters use 2nd focal scopes.
    Some First Focal scopes (+25x) have a Reticle that can get really thick when cranked up.
    The 2nd focal will not get thicker as you crank the power.
    I have the 7-35x56 F1 Nightforce Atacr on one rifle. The Reticle can get pretty thick on 35x when you are looking at a 3 inch x ring at 600y. On the other hand, I have 2 Schmidt Bender’s in 12-50x that are also first focal p4f reticles that are not too thick on clear days that we can use 50x. On a day without mirage I stay on 50x. Heavier mirage days are usually 25-35x
    My NXS scopes just did not have near the clarity of the new NF glass.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom