80% Lower

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I thought you meant 7079 lowers. Thanks for the link.

A better source for aluminum is Tactical Machining as a fyi.

Sweet. Im Always looking for "better". Thank you..

Edit: just checked it out. Better pricing. I love it. Only bad side is they apparently have a hard time keeping stuff in stock. (I can understand at that pricing)

Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    The only reason I would consider the 80% is to be able to start with a blank slate for a logo, model #, and serial #. For now I'll use the Andersons I have.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    The only reason I would consider the 80% is to be able to start with a blank slate for a logo, model #, and serial #. For now I'll use the Andersons I have.

Few days ago I bought a spikes honey badger at Jim's. I didn't have a choice. In B.R. both Jim's and bowie outfitters were completely out of Anderson lowers.

That honey badger is so pretty, I had to get one. Lol

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Few days ago I bought a spikes honey badger at Jim's. I didn't have a choice. In B.R. both Jim's and bowie outfitters were completely out of Anderson lowers.

That honey badger is so pretty, I had to get one. Lol

I stopped buying Anderson lowers. They are decent quality, if you can hand pick the one you want, but after building a few, I've noticed that they have QC issues.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I stopped buying Anderson lowers. They are decent quality, if you can hand pick the one you want, but after building a few, I've noticed that they have QC issues.

I built two rifles with Anderson lowers and lower parts kits, without any issues. My first rifle build was on a STS lower (I liked the tribal skull) but it had out of spec takedown pin holes and a burr that was impossible to get to. I had to open up the takedown pin holes a little and work the rear takedown pin detent in and out of its bore until the spring would push it through.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I built two rifles with Anderson lowers and lower parts kits, without any issues. My first rifle build was on a STS lower (I liked the tribal skull) but it had out of spec takedown pin holes and a burr that was impossible to get to. I had to open up the takedown pin holes a little and work the rear takedown pin detent in and out of its bore until the spring would push it through.

I've never used Anderson LPK's, but you're the first person to tell me that you didn't have issues with them. I've heard nothing but terrible things about them. The lowers are okay at best, definitely not anything worth raving about. Out of the few that I've had issues with, they were all issues with the takendown and pivot pin holes, like you had with your STS lower.

I just picked up a few Aero lowers for $75 each. For that price, I have no reason to bother with Anderson anymore.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I've never used Anderson LPK's, but you're the first person to tell me that you didn't have issues with them. I've heard nothing but terrible things about them. The lowers are okay at best, definitely not anything worth raving about. Out of the few that I've had issues with, they were all issues with the takendown and pivot pin holes, like you had with your STS lower.

I just picked up a few Aero lowers for $75 each. For that price, I have no reason to bother with Anderson anymore.

now that you mention it, the take down pins on the anderson lowers I've used, ALL seemed to fit tighter than on most other lowers i've got experience with. I never gave it a second thought. i usually have to use a pen, or dead rnd, etc, to push the pins on anderson recievers. but the spikes i put together 2 days ago, and the lowers i milled myself, are alot easier. I can release them with just my finger tip. here is the one I just put together with the Spikes lower.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      231.9 KB · Views: 88
    Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    now that you mention it, the take down pins on the anderson lowers I've used, ALL seemed to fit tighter than on most other lowers i've got experience with. I never gave it a second thought. i usually have to use a pen, or dead rnd, etc, to push the pins on anderson recievers. but the spikes i put together 2 days ago, and the lowers i milled myself, are alot easier. I can release them with just my finger tip. here is the one I just put together with the Spikes lower.

Imo there is nothing wrong with a snug fit. On a lot of factory guns the upper wobbles around on the lower, which I find annoying. All mine need something for the first 1/4 " to remove, and will install with thumb pressure. The STS would have needed a hammer to install the pins before I opened the holes up. It wasn't the size of the holes but the distance between them that was off.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I bought a complete lower and then destroyed the finish on it. Is that backwards or what? Lol. I had fun doing it too!

6SjjYAu.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom