How to fight a Causeway Bridge speeding ticket when it is an outright lie?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Yesterday I was on the way to the airport with a coworker when I was pulled over for speeding. I was going 68 mph in a 65 but he said he clocked me going 81. My GPS said 68, my speedometer said 68, my cruise control was on since I entered the bridge. I was in absolutely no rush as we were 3 hours early for a flight. There was nobody in front or behind me and a car beside me I was slowly passing. He said he clocked me on his rear radar at 500 feet away.

I tried to explain to him about my speed/gps/cruise and he wouldn't listen. My coworker tried to tell him exactly what I was saying and he just walked off ignoring everything we were saying. I understand a lot of people lie about speeding but he didn't even care what we had to say. When he came back with the ticket I asked him if he had his equipment calibrated anytime recently or if other people complain of the same issue and he only said nope and walked off.

He was at my window a total of about 2 minutes and didn't want to waste any time speaking to me. There were at least 4 cops on the bridge yesterday pulling people over before I was pulled over. They were extremely busy writing tickets.

What can I do to fight this? He wouldn't give me any information at all about that other than pointing to the address/phone number on the ticket. It has an address for David Drive and a date of 11/26 on it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Fun fact about Causeway tickets, given that your ticket said 81 mph, you'll be attending court, where they will most likely toss it out. IIRC, 1-14 mph over is a fixed fee ticket & 15mph+ over is a mandatory court appearance.

My wife got one recently. She was traveling 70-71 in the right lane, stuck in traffic. A mile or so later, she was pulled over and given a ticket for doing 80 mph. She went to court, tried to fight the ticket, and they told her to come back on ___ date. She came back and saw the DA, who threw the ticket out immediately.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Fun fact about Causeway tickets, given that your ticket said 81 mph, you'll be attending court, where they will most likely toss it out. IIRC, 1-14 mph over is a fixed fee ticket & 15mph+ over is a mandatory court appearance.

My wife got one recently. She was traveling 70-71 in the right lane, stuck in traffic. A mile or so later, she was pulled over and given a ticket for doing 80 mph. She went to court, tried to fight the ticket, and they told her to come back on ___ date. She came back and saw the DA, who threw the ticket out immediately.

So your wife got a bs ticket went to court and they "jacked" (highly technical term) her around likely wasted two days or at least two half days of work but there is nothing wrong with severely low posted limits and the over all concept of traffic safety? You ever travel 2 lane highways in east Texas? Most are posted a 75mph. It works beautifully. I can't say that I keep up with their traffic fatalities but if it wasn't working they would have quit doing it already.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The Causeway speed limits should be reduced to 55 mph.

To what ends. I regularly have to gtfo of someone's way and I rarely travel that bridge below 70mph. Speed doesn't cause accidents nearly as often as speed deferential.

Truth be told those bridges need 3 lanes and a shoulder and people who look more than 20 feet in front of them and plan accordingly.

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    ******* trying to make their "contact quota" for the day is all that was.

Maybe he had his quota and was trying to get enough contacts to qualify for a new popcorn maker for the squad room.

By the way, I'm trying to be funny. I don't believe any department has a quota.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    lose a few days of work and pray the DA throws it out or maybe reduces it to a non-moving violation

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To what ends. I regularly have to gtfo of someone's way and I rarely travel that bridge below 70mph. Speed doesn't cause accidents nearly as often as speed deferential.

Truth be told those bridges need 3 lanes and a shoulder and people who look more than 20 feet in front of them and plan accordingly.

If the speed limit were 55 mph, then when Herp Derp is flying through at 80 mph, I hope he hits the rail and goes over. You keep bringing up "speed differential," but you fail to realize that if someone is speeding... they are breaking the law. Speed limits are set for a multitude of reasons, not just to get speeding tickets.

Even fifteen lanes wide wouldn't help the morons that are texting and driving, falling asleep at the wheel, or just plain stupid.

Consider installing a camera in your car in case of future incidents.
    They're cheap and provide a perfect record of what actually happened.

This.

I've researched it and it's worth it. A co-worker installed one and the next day he was involved in an accident. It saved him a ton of time and headaches with the police report and insurance claims.

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    All of the Causeway PD cars have cameras.

JR1572

I have no doubt that they do.
    With a camera in your own car you have both a video and audio recording of the incident that is your property.
    Call it an extra layer of protection and certainty.
    I have no faith that the officer's camera will be on or even functioning (not implying that this is on purpose because sometimes equipment malfunctions or fails outright.)

Before this starts arguments, I believe that most police are on my side and are good people.
    Being in the firearm hobby I have many officers I call friends, they're great people who do a tremendous job.
    However, like anything else, there are also not so good ones.

For me, the camera is there mainly to document encounters with other drivers.
    There's not always others around when things happen and a camera is an excellent witness should things go south.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    With a camera in your own car you have both a video and audio recording of the incident that is your property.
    I have no faith that the officer's camera will be on or even functioning (not implying that this is on purpose because sometimes equipment malfunctions or fails outright.)

Before this starts arguments, I believe that most police are on my side and are good people.
    Being in the firearm hobby I have many officers I call friends, they're great people who do a tremendous job.

There's not always others around when things happen and a camera is an excellent witness should things go south.

I'm with you on having a camera in the car. I want one in my wife's car.

JR1572

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If the speed limit were 55 mph, then when Herp Derp is flying through at 80 mph, I hope he hits the rail and goes over. You keep bringing up "speed differential," but you fail to realize that if someone is speeding... they are breaking the law. Speed limits are set for a multitude of reasons, not just to get speeding tickets.

Even fifteen lanes wide wouldn't help the morons that are texting and driving, falling asleep at the wheel, or just plain stupid.

Correct there are a wealth of reasons that go into selecting a posted speed limit. One happens to be ticket revenue and that should never be involved. Additionally the same whinny people who want the government to babysit adults also happen to be a major factor in selecting a speed limit. And that should never be a factor either. While I don't have first hand experience in selecting posted limits, however I have known and know quite a few people who are. And anyone who is honest with you and knows their stuff will tell your there is a big difference between "design speed" and "posted speed". You can't and shouldn't focus on the lowest common denominator when creating any public policy.

I will have to agree the number of people I pass daily who are staring at their phones or whatever it is they have chosen to pay more attention to other than the task at hand. If people were not stupid 80mph in current conditions would be perfectly safe on the causeway however 75mph could be done safely. However the posted minimum would likely need to be 60mph.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

Well said

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    .......AND Causeway PD and the Commission along with the tolls should be abolished and the bridge turned over to the state like the CCC!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom