Finally didn't recover a deer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Drat,

I have been told it was going to eventually happen, and it did. I hit a Doe Sunday and didn't recover it. Actually in hindsight I shouldn't have tried to "fit" my arrow between some small vines and branches but at 23 yds I figured it couldn't be thrown off enough to matter...was wrong. Clipped a bit of vine and pushed the arrow up into the shoulder. Loudest CRACK I ever heard in the woods and she ran off without the use of the front right leg. Bent the tip of my Rage 2-blade chisel-tip and one of the blades. Hair on the tip and blood about 6-8" up arrow, but it was on the ground in one piece. The way she moved with no usage of the leg definitely looked like shoulder blade hit without penetration (maybe shattered it). You live you learn. Went and cleaned out all the brush (we hadn't visited this stand prior to the hunt so it was a bit overgrown) so I could be more successful this coming weekend.

Just sharing for those people out there tempted to take a risky shot with a bow...it's simply not worth it. I'm hoping I didn't ruin this stand because it's the most deer I have ever seen during archery season in all my years at our place.

See the picture...don't get tunnel-vision and forget your flight path.

Attachments

• bad choice.jpg
      bad choice.jpg
      188.9 KB · Views: 291
    Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    If you shoot at enough deer, you will eventually lose one no matter how careful you try to be. It happens to the best of us. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you with this shot. Deer have amazing recuperative ability though and you may very well see this particular deer later in the season or even next year.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    It happens, not every shot (especially with a bow) is going to work out perfect. Do all you can to recover the animal and if you still cannot then just learn from it.

Top Bottom