What kind of BS is Louisiana pulling?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Thanks for posting the email address. Here's what's happened so far with my renewal:

On 8/6/2016, over 3 months ago, I submitted my online renewal application.

As of this morning (11/17/2016), I had received no word, and the status remained PENDING ACCEPTANCE.
    This afternoon, I emailed to ask the status. Within minutes, I received a response with the payment link, and saying that the status was changed to ACCEPTED. I sent payment immediately.
    Tonight I see that the status is now PENDING REVIEW.

I guess we'll see what happens now...

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    All electronic. Electronic prints. Bout 2 weeks card was in the mailbox...

Seems to be fairly common with the online apps. My wife's app took longer for mailing the cards than it did get approved. Me, on the other hand, I did the paper application. It will probably be 10 months before I get the card.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    FINALLY received my renewed permit. Here's the history:

08/06/2016: Submitted online renewal application.

11/17/2016: I had received no word, and the status remained PENDING ACCEPTANCE. I emailed to ask the status. Within minutes, I received a response with the payment link, and saying that the status was changed to ACCEPTED. I sent payment immediately. Status changed to PENDING REVIEW.

12/03/2016: Received email stating that status changed to APPROVED.

12/07/2016: New CHP arrived in mail.

Gordon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    The quickest way to get your permit back in a timely manner is to file your application online using the link to do so (http://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov). You will have to either scan in your certificate issued by the instructor from whom you took the class, or take a cell phone shot of your certificate with your phone and email it to them. The online application cannot be downloaded. The instructions are very specific as to how to fill it out, and it walks you through the process very clearly. If you are a first time applicant, you will still have to be fingerprinted. The very quickest way to get your fingerprints accepted is by going to the LSP headquarters as early as possible (they open at 0730 AM M-F) and have them do them. The LSP fingerprint division rejects many outside agency fingerprint cards that are mailed into them because of quality. If you cannot possibly have your fingerprints done at the headquarters, call them at 225-925-4867 and ask them which agency they recommend in your area to do the fingerprinting. Thankfully, this does not have to be done except the first time. As long as you renew in a timely manner, you do not have to be fingerprinted ever again.
    Most of my students receive their permits in 30-60 days. I tell them if they go over 60 days, it is time to call and find out what is happening.
    Here is the ratio of importance to applications by the LSP Concealed Permit Handgun Section: 1. Applications submitted online: Receive first attention--least headaches for them to process--fingerprints done at their headquarters. 2. Applications submitted in person, with downloaded old "hard" application, and they do the fingerprinting at headquarters: Receive next highest amount of attention--they have to type the information into the system--but the fingerprints are a given. 3. Applications submitted by mail, with fingerprint cards from outside agencies:take longest to process. Information must be typed into system, fingerprints must be processed and reviewed for quality.
    The people in the LSP Concealed Handgun Permit Section have always been helpful and polite to my students. And they are extremely overworked. The state cut $5,000,000.00 from their budget, and Colonel Edmonson cut out ALL overtime. To help compensate, they started opening earlier, but they are still deluged with applications. I have been down there, and the mail arrives every day in boxes--from all over the state. There are over 1300 instructors out there now, looks like a lot of them are not telling their people how to properly apply. 6-8 months is ridiculous. It would take you less time to drive to Baton Rouge on your first off day, apply, get fingerprinted, pay the fee, and be done with it, than to mail it in and wait and complain. If you apply online, it would still behoove you to drive to Baton Rouge and get fingerprinted there, as the fingerprinting can be a major hangup.
    Renewals have it particularly easy, since you do not need to be fingerprinted again. Simply apply online, pay with a credit card when prompted, and wait for your permit to arrive in the mail.
    Finally, I do not think anyone is an ass for pointing out that sloppy, inconsiderate misspellings, sentence fragments, and poorly constructed sentences are going to make your application process go any smoother. Those people are severely overworked, and still maintain a pleasant demeanor when contacted. You make their job harder with slop for spelling and fragmented wording. No one can read your mind.
    Take a little time with the application, and use spell check if you need it (apparently you do) for God's sake!

Last edited:

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    I am apparently one of the fortunate few who must give the LSP CHP Section staff a big thank you for their quick efforts.

I submitted my renewal electronically on October 25. I included scanned copies of my new training certificate, ID and DD 214. My permit expired at the end of November so I was concerned about what I had read on BS regarding other people's lengthy experiences. I received a "pending review" email on Dec 1 and the "approved" one on Dec 4. The envelope the permit came in was postmarked Dec 6.

I would like to note the fact that military veterans do now get their carry permits at no charge and can also do the on-line application. I did not receive an email requesting payment and I was given the five year permit. I would also agree with Gordon's observations above and try to make it as easy for them as you can.

bradbrla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2016
    Gonzales
    Mine was really quick.

Total time beginning to end: 13 days.

I've only lived in LA for 3 years, so it's likely that I may have had to have an out of state BG check, too.

I took my CCW class Saturday 11/25. Filled out my online app & submitted it with documents the same night. Fingerprinted at LSP headquarters the following Friday (12/2). As I walked out the door at LSP, I received an email advising my app was approved and to pay my permit fees. That was Friday afternoon at 4:30. Made the payment online, got an email at 9:30AM Monday morning (12/5) that everything was approved. Got my card in the mail Thursday (12/8.)

13 days... 5 of which were me putting off the fingerprinting. Cross all your T's, dot all your I's, do everything online and drive to BR to be fingerprinted if possible. (I went late on a Friday afternoon... you know they aren't going to sit around on a Friday afternoon--they want to get outta there!) I probably could have had it all done in about 7 days had I not dragged my feet with the fingerprinting.

Sorry for all of you experiencing delays... hang in there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I am apparently one of the fortunate few who must give the LSP CHP Section staff a big thank you for their quick efforts.

I submitted my renewal electronically on October 25. I included scanned copies of my new training certificate, ID and DD 214. My permit expired at the end of November so I was concerned about what I had read on BS regarding other people's lengthy experiences. I received a "pending review" email on Dec 1 and the "approved" one on Dec 4. The envelope the permit came in was postmarked Dec 6.

I would like to note the fact that military veterans do now get their carry permits at no charge and can also do the on-line application. I did not receive an email requesting payment and I was given the five year permit. I would also agree with Gordon's observations above and try to make it as easy for them as you can.

My 5th renewal comes up in Feb 2018 and my question is do you have to send a copy of your DD214? They have had it all those years and I can't remember if I had to send one every time.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    This was my first renewal.

Even though I had submitted my DD 214 before, I was hoping for the no-fee issuance, so I sent it again to make it easy and obvious. Once you scan it, the attachment to the application is easy. If memory serves me (and it sometimes doesn't as I would also qualify for the senior discount;)) there was a list of required documents at the end of the on-line application process. The 214 was on the list if you completed the vets section of the appl.

I am lucky to still have an original 40+ year old carbon copy of my DD-214. Though I have never used it, SF-180 will get you a duplicate if you need it.

Last edited:

bradbrla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2016
    Gonzales
    My 5th renewal comes up in Feb 2018 and my question is do you have to send a copy of your DD214? They have had it all those years and I can't remember if I had to send one every time.

The way our wonderful state is (and I do love this state, just sometimes wonder "WHYYY???!!"), I'd send it anyway. You don't want to give them ANY reason to deny it/delay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This was my first renewal.

Even though I had submitted my DD 214 before, I was hoping for the no-fee issuance, so I sent it again to make it easy and obvious. Once you scan it, the attachment to the application is easy. If memory serves me (and it sometimes doesn't as I would also qualify for the senior discount;)) there was a list of required documents at the end of the on-line application process. The 214 was on the list if you completed the vets section of the appl.

I am lucky to still have an original 40+ year old carbon copy of my DD-214. Though I have never used it, SF-180 will get you a duplicate if you need it.

I have copies of my DD-214 and I did what they told us to do when I got out in 74. I went and filed it at the Clerk of Courts office.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    ^^^ This is good advice if you haven't already done so. There was a fire at the Personnel Records Center in St. Louis in 1973 which destroyed many veteran's records. Many are having to prove their service because of it. Some have actually failed to do so. Happened before, could happen again. Easy to just make your service a matter of public record. Just do it.

Top Bottom