Respond to threads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larryp44

Sep 28, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm trying to respond to a thread and it says I can't. I've logged out and back in but still won't let me respond. I can PM that's all...
    Can y'all help ????
    Larry P

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    Are you trying to respond to a post in the classifieds section?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012

You have to PM sellers to get in touch with them. Only the original poster can reply to their threads to bump them, once daily.

DAVE_M

_________
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You have to PM sellers to get in touch with them. Only the original poster can reply to their threads to bump them, once daily.

Y'all really need to install the plugin where you manually bump a thread without replying in it, and members can reply without bumping the thread.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    None taken. You haven't been here long enough.

Once upon a time, the classified were wide open for discussion.

And there is a good reason it was changed to the way it is. Some people don't know when to keep their mouths closed or just be nice. The current system works and we have no plans on changing it. Thank you for the input though.

DAVE_M

_________
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    And there is a good reason it was changed to the way it is. Some people don't know when to keep their mouths closed or just be nice. The current system works and we have no plans on changing it. Thank you for the input though.

You could still install the plugin and turn replies off completely.

John_

Shooter
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    No offense, but I think it is working well as it is. Dont fix something that is not broken.

+1 here. I just cannot imagine the BS and drama from other's comments in a classified thread. No thanks. A couple of the freaking PMs I have received from a classified thread leave me scratching my head.....

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree.

I was here for years with the open marketplace.

Comments like "he buddy that's more than that ____ cost brand new"
    Kept members from trying to screw over fellow members.

And having the "I'll take it" in the thread showed everyone who got there first, second and so on, also, frees up a lot of space in the messages folders.

People get butt-hurt! On here and everywhere in life. Fortunately it's not against the law to hurt people's soft feelings.

The market place on here used to be fun, and I don't think it caused as much trouble as the few whiny babies made it out to be.

Most problems came in when the OP failed to follow a rule and somone called the on it. Well guess what, that still happens in any section on this forum to this day.

DAVE_M

_________
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Most problems came in when the OP failed to follow a rule and somone called the on it. Well guess what, that still happens in any section on this forum to this day.

For the short time that I was a marketplace moderator, I can personally attest to the amount of bitching that goes on. I do it sometimes, just to keep the mods on their toes, but sometimes it gets silly. I deleted a ton of threads for not following the rules, but it's funnier when people get publicly crucified by other members for asking $3,000 for an Anderson AR-15.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    and to me, that goes against what the forum means/meant to me. We're supposed to be a bunch of like minded people that come together as friends to talk about and share our common passions.

And just like if your friend tried to sell you a half used pack of gum for 3x the price of a new pack, you would rag him to no end.

DAVE_M

_________
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    and to me, that goes against what the forum means/meant to me. We're supposed to be a bunch of like minded people that come together as friends to talk about and share our common passions.

And just like if your friend tried to sell you a half used pack of gum for 3x the price of a new pack, you would rag him to no end.

I've said it multiple times, if you want to keep the riff raff out, then boundaries need to be set.

I have suggested these boundaries before (similarly):
    To view or post in the classifieds you must have at least 50 posts.
    New users are put in a 30 day trial period in which they cannot view the classifieds or other member areas.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I like those ideas. Many web forums use similar boundaries.

They have other gun related forums that have open marketplaces that run smoothly. I think it's because they weed out the weak.

DAVE_M

_________
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'd like to think the mods would go for the 30-day trial period considering we have a ton of new members that join and start trolling in the Off-Topic Discussion forum immediately.

It's customary to introduce yourself in the new member forum, but that doesn't always happen.

Brawny

lol
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I made a post on another forum explaining (not complaining) how the marketplace worked here and he literally couldn't wrap his mind around it. Kept asking what if this and how that, I just said somehow it works.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

So true. But it was awesome! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom