Introducing Infidel Automatics LLC in Addis, LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Hello everyone! My name is Joe and I'm pleased to announce the beginning of a new FFL in Addis, LA. If you can't already tell by the name, I'm a combat veteran of the USAF and have done a couple tours in a couple sandboxes. I have a passion for all shooting sports, and I've decided to turn my personal hobby into a second source of income. This thread will serve as an informational update on applying for an FFL and turning my dream into a reality.

Current status of application:

Apply for FEIN (complete)
    Apply for LLC with Louisiana Secretary of State (complete)
    Attend Addis Planning and Zoning meeting, 11/15/16 (complete)
    Attend Addis Town meeting, 12/7/16 (complete)
    Apply for FFL Type 07 ($150/3yr, complete)
    Formal ATF visit (complete 3/15/17)
    Receive FFL (complete 4/17/17)
    Set up NICS account once eligible with FFL (Complete)
    Buy/sell/transfer Title 1 firearms for friends/family/coworkers/etc... (First transfer in progress!)
    Open business checking account (complete)

Set up invoicing/online payment/credit cards/etc (pending)
    Set up wholesale accounts (now eligible with FFL)

ON HOLD UNTIL JULY....
    Pay taxes for SOT Class 02 ($500/yr)
    Sell/transfer NFA firearms in addition to Title 1 firearms

ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE....
    Pay DDTC tax to Department of state (~$2700/yr)
    Manufacture NFA and Title 1 firearms for sale to public

The purpose of this thread is to provide an informative look into what it takes to become an FFL 07/02, and not necessarily to advertise my (newly established) FFL. Hopefully others will find this useful. I welcome any constructive comments and information you may have as I go along.

Best way to contact me is through PM on this site.

Thanks!

Joseph Morgan
    Owner, Infidel Automatics

Last edited:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Update 11/6/16: Part of the Addis Planning and Zoning meeting preparation requires all adjacent neighbors to sign a paper saying they agree with the business. Two of my three neighbors have agreed to the business, and I still need to talk to the third. So far (and always) by being honest and open, my neighbors have been very receptive to the business. I'll try to talk to the third neighbor today ....kind of difficult since I'm currently on nights at work!

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Don't forget to register for State, Parish, and possibly City Sales Tax. I also had to obtain an EIN (Employer Identification Number) even though I was the only employee. Seems like the agent that investigated me for my license was more concerned about my proper reporting of sales and paying taxes rather than any other aspect.

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Update11/16/16: Addis P&Z meeting compete with a motion to proceed. The most difficult questions I had to answer were why I chose the words "Infidel" and "Automatics" in my name. Then of course, the follow up questions about why I felt the need to build SBRs, MGs, and silencers and the legalities of such. There was a 30+ year LEO on the board so the technical questions mostly came from him. There was also an open opponent to guns in general but she was still amiable to the business. She had a particular interest since she lives right down the road in my subdivision.

Note to self...next time investigate the board members for a few seconds before the meeting.

There were also plenty of questions about whether I already had my FFL (and why not) and the amount of ATF oversight. All in all it went well.

OP updated.

Last edited:

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Glad it went well Joe, tell me about it at work tomorrow!I have a feeling my wallet is gonna be much lighter once you get all the paperwork finished...

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You need to add 'register with the DDTC' if you plan to build/create/make firearms or components. Also, there is no ATF visit associated with getting your SOT, you just apply and it comes in the mail. I would wait until end of May or very beginning of June to apply or else you're going to have to double dip on the $500 fee. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Thank you Sulzer. I will add that to the to-do list. Can you elaborate on what the DDTC is? I'm aware of the ITAR taxation outside of R&D; is this the same thing?

I'd heard of the timeline for paying SOT fees. Thank you for reminding me...I'll add that to the OP also!

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    ITAR is an export control regulation enforced by The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). So, registration is through the DDTC and required for anyone who manufactures items on the Defense Munitions List. Back in July-ish Obama reinterpreted the requirements for registration under ITAR to be a lot more broad and include a lot of 01 FFLs/gunsmithing activities. Be careful with the "R&D" NFA stuff or any other gray areas/loopholes. The ATF interprets whats white and black and that can change or flip flop by the second. Also, remember the manufacture of machine guns for R&D purposes is not recognized as a legitimate exception to the ban on possession under 18 U.S.C. 922(o). You can only manufacture new machine guns if they are manufactured and held for sale to Federal or State agencies, for distribution as *sales samples,* or for exportation.

Last edited:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Roger, thanks for the clarification. That will be a "switch" to flip for the business...I will have to justify enough sales to pay for the SOT and ITAR before pulling the trigger on manufacturing those items.

I have several ideas that need to be proven before taking them to market. It will be a huge judgement call on when the forecast of that much cash flow will happen.

Last edited:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Small update 11/29/16:

At the P&Z meeting last month the committee recommended that I talk to the Chief of Police before the town hall. I stopped by (unannounced) the other day but he was busy. Anyway, he called me today and we had a quick conversation. I think he's supportive of the business and maybe even a bit excited.

Feeling a little less apprehensive about the town hall meeting now.

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    ITAR is an export control regulation enforced by The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). So, registration is through the DDTC and required for anyone who manufactures items on the Defense Munitions List. Back in July-ish Obama reinterpreted the requirements for registration under ITAR to be a lot more broad and include a lot of 01 FFLs/gunsmithing activities. Be careful with the "R&D" NFA stuff or any other gray areas/loopholes. The ATF interprets whats white and black and that can change or flip flop by the second. Also, remember the manufacture of machine guns for R&D purposes is not recognized as a legitimate exception to the ban on possession under 18 U.S.C. 922(o). You can only manufacture new machine guns if they are manufactured and held for sale to Federal or State agencies, for distribution as *sales samples,* or for exportation.

Sulzer,

Where can I find Obama's July-ish written reinterpretation of the DDTC regulations?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Am I premature on the shirts?

745eb1e33a17cc9f0ad9e3dd3bee877d.jpg

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Update 12/7/16:
    Town hall passed movement for my home based FFL. Had good conversations with the council members after the meeting...overall I think they're excited about having another business in town.

Now, on to the ATF! :run:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom