CMP is running out of M1 Garands

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Hammond
    There are a boat load in storage in South Korea. Obama wouldn't let any into the country but I hear that will change with Trump.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    The Korean rifles will probably be sold by importers and stamped as such on the receiver. The Koreans want their part of the cash pie.

The 86,000 rifles are supposed to be coming from the Philippines to the CMP. Since they were last used by remote auxiliary units in tropical climes, I hope they don't look like Katrina flooded guns.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    As long as the receivers are in spec, I think a lot of people would be happy with a just a reparked receiver they could build up with a new barrel.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Anyone hear anything new about this? I'm looking to take a Garand clinic next month, and may be interested in getting one sometime after that. Hope there will be some to pick from, and not too over priced. A friend of mine said he got one for $700 awhile back. I guess ones available for that are long gone.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That sounds like field grade price. I would step up to the service grade
    Or if ya can do it the CMP Special it is 100% gone threw

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    They have an office in Anniston, AL. I've heard if you go there you can get better pricing, and you get to pick the one you get. Anyone done that?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I picked mine up in Anniston a few years back. No difference on pricing.
    You can hand pick yours (of what is out on the racks). Employees there are top notch. Very knowledgeable and happy to walk you through the process. They will loan you a gauge and break down any rifle you are interested in. There is a CMP forum and last I checked pickings were very slim. As in a couple dozen rifles on the racks, as opposed to 200-300 five years ago. The locals really stay on top of stock as it's put out.
    Just get ALL of your ducks in a row.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I went there a few years ago, but did not buy one from the racks as I was looking for a service grade and there were none at the time. My impression right now is they have some nice rifles showing up in the store, but at the higher end of the cost spectrum. I believe you may also have to pay tax now when buying on site. The draw of the store is you get it that day, you get to look through a bunch of them, and you get to pick the one you want within the limits of what they have that day.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Most of mine were hand picked back when they had hundreds of rifles to choose from in Anniston. Now they have so few available, the store moved to a smaller location and only occasionally are they able to put out any regular Garands. Right now, you can only order a Field grade rifle with aftermarket wood and barrel. The link in post #1 shows what is available from CMP by mail order. The link below shows what might be available at the Anniston store on a given day. The store is only open Thurs-Sat.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74

I've messed up my rotator cuff and can't shoot my harder kicking rifles and shotguns anymore. I'll be listing most of my collection (including 30+ DCM/CMP Garands, and 40+WWII US & foreign military bolt rifles) over the next few months, but I'll still keep a few to dry-fire. My widow will probably sell those. I'm just having a hard time letting go. :(

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Thanks for the comments. I'm probably looking to pick one up late summer some time. We'll see what things are like then. Hopefully those Korean models have made it over and there will be a good selection.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    If you go to the Bama store you can Pic from what's there.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74
    Now after you do so, If they have anything ya want. Like said in the forums Hit or Miss.
    You have 2 options.
    One Pay the Bama Tax and take it home.
    Or ship it and Pay no Tax.
    Yes they are getting short on them. And what was passing as a grade is now lower when sent out. Some of are service grades are what was field before. At least from some reports.
    Some grades are no longer available. Collector Grade is no more. The Correct Grade is also no more.
    That is what I have a Correct is is one step down from Collector a spot or 2 on wood, and same of metal.
    http://s234.photobucket.com/user/fast340six/slideshow/Garand
    Not bad for the $925.00 I gave
    The Mix Matched 100% redone CMP specials are nice and are 900 now and a good deal if ya want a shooter

mactruk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    I will have to keep up with when more of these become available.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    FWIW, the CMP website shows service grade Garands as being available for $730 each.

The store in Anniston is worth a visit if you're ever in that part of the world.

Fingers crossed that milsurp 1911's make an appearance at the CMP before I'm pushing daisies ...

Mike

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    Any news on M1 Carbines coming back? I went out to Anniston to pick out my Garand about five years ago. I want to say the carbines were scarce even then.

Last edited by a moderator:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I think I read that they are not expecting any Carbines . Check their website . EDIT .... The only Carbines listed will be on their auction site .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom