SOG vs Fire

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    A buddy of mine had an unfortunate incident two nights ago where their entire camp area caught fire and burned down. He lost around 1k worth of camping stuff, but his knife kinda survived haha! I thought it looked badass, so here's the pic. IMG1545767647.jpg

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    1512546_699356040096694_123188125_n.jpg1477417_699354273430204_1069868899_n.jpg

This reminded me of a story (I'll try to make it short):

My dad, I & another guy went to our land to go shooting to find my old scout master, his gf and son camping off to the side of our shooting range. They go to wal-mart and my dad is walking back from putting up targets and stops and says "Dave's tents on fire", so me and the other guy run down and sure enough.... An INFERNO! Look at the pic and you'll notice the propane tank at the corner of the tent (with hose going inside the tent). I started for it then said "f that". The other guy ran and grabbed it. So we all go over there with jackets swatting the flames on the brush, it was almost a forest fire. There's things popping in the tent (shotgun shells come to find out). So Dave gets back and starts going through the aftermath and pulls out what looked like a SR-22 if I remember correctly and just throws it in the lake. The fire had burnt a perfect line in the grass straight to the tent. By far on the top 3 of the funniest experiences of my life. He had just bought a lot of new camping gear too. I called him and told him what was going and he wouldn't believe me until he saw it.

He was always the best of us in the woods... He is and always has been the BUSHMASTER.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    View attachment 66766View attachment 66767

This reminded me of a story (I'll try to make it short):

My dad, I & another guy went to our land to go shooting to find my old scout master, his gf and son camping off to the side of our shooting range. They go to wal-mart and my dad is walking back from putting up targets and stops and says "Dave's tents on fire", so me and the other guy run down and sure enough.... An INFERNO! Look at the pic and you'll notice the propane tank at the corner of the tent (with hose going inside the tent). I started for it then said "f that". The other guy ran and grabbed it. So we all go over there with jackets swatting the flames on the brush, it was almost a forest fire. There's things popping in the tent (shotgun shells come to find out). So Dave gets back and starts going through the aftermath and pulls out what looked like a SR-22 if I remember correctly and just throws it in the lake. The fire had burnt a perfect line in the grass straight to the tent. By far on the top 3 of the funniest experiences of my life. He had just bought a lot of new camping gear too. I called him and told him what was going and he wouldn't believe me until he saw it.

He was always the best of us in the woods... He is and always has been the BUSHMASTER.

That looks very similar to what my two dumbass friends did. They also almost caught the forest on fire. The fire spread and lit a large container of lighter fluid which didn't help their cause at all...

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    That looks very similar to what my two dumbass friends did. They also almost caught the forest on fire. The fire spread and lit a large container of lighter fluid which didn't help their cause at all...

Yeah, that was totally because we were shooting and was an accident... If your friends actually burned their own tent down, then I'd really like to hear the story!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A buddy of mine had an unfortunate incident two nights ago where their entire camp area caught fire and burned down. He lost around 1k worth of camping stuff, but his knife kinda survived haha! I thought it looked badass, so here's the pic.
    --Sent from my Galaxy S6

I'd get that handle off and make a new set of wooden grips...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah, that was totally because we were shooting and was an accident... If your friends actually burned their own tent down, then I'd really like to hear the story!
    Long story short: They were camping. Walked away to get something. There was a "burn ban" in the area and they shouldn't have had a fire. Somehow a spark catches fire near one of the backpacks. The backpack contained a large container of lighter fluid. Once that lit, it caused a big enough mini-fireball to light much of the surrounding area on fire. Their tent, hammocks, backpacks, and all of their hiking / camping stuff was completely destroyed. Firefighters showed up in less than 5 minutes in response to a "large explosion." By then the two guys camping had taken a fire extinguisher and put the surrounding area out, so they just had to contain the blaze (75 sq foot area). They with help of the firemen were able to do so. That's about it.

I'd get that handle off and make a new set of wooden grips...

He may give it to me and I might do that. I've never made a grip before. It can't be too hard...right?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That knife is done for.

If it got hot enough to melt the handles like that, then it was hot enough to ruin the heat treat.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Maybe for digging holes.

You would spend less money junking it, but you could always email SOG and see what they say. It's not a very vaulable knife, so it's up to you.

My buddy bought it about 2 months ago from SOG. I told him they very well might exchange it from him lol. If they say no, I might do something with it.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    A buddy of mine had an unfortunate incident two nights ago where their entire camp area caught fire and burned down. He lost around 1k worth of camping stuff, but his knife kinda survived haha! I thought it looked badass, so here's the pic. View attachment 66764

--Sent from my Galaxy S6
    Your Buds are weed head's, The cardboard pizza is the giveaway!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My buddy bought it about 2 months ago from SOG. I told him they very well might exchange it from him lol. If they say no, I might do something with it.

Your buddies need to learn how to camp safely.

Who brings a container of lighter fluid?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Your buddies need to learn how to camp safely.

Who brings a container of lighter fluid?

Hey, I never said they were smart :P

Although one of them may or may not be going to med school...:mamoru:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Were they camping in a state park?

That would make it doubly stupid on their part. Most state parks prohibit fire making unless they are in the designated fire pits within the campgrounds. Most of the time, camping and fire making outside of the campground is a no-go.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    That would make it doubly stupid on their part. Most state parks prohibit fire making unless they are in the designated fire pits within the campgrounds. Most of the time, camping and fire making outside of the campground is a no-go.

I agree with that, that's why I'm asking... There are primitive camping sites in most state parks. We need more facts!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I agree with that, that's why I'm asking... There are primitive camping sites in most state parks. We need more facts!

I can only assume they were in a primitive campsite (car camping), because I still can't fathom why anyone would bring a container of lighter fluid.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom