Sheriff’s department will pay a $10,000 fine for not hiring illegals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    My wife is a legal immigrant and is now naturalized, but before she was a US citizen she was a LEO. So no, you don't have to have citizenship to be a cop.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    My wife is a legal immigrant and is now naturalized, but before she was a US citizen she was a LEO. So no, you don't have to have citizenship to be a cop.

So an illegal can jump the boarder and get a job as a cop without becoming a citizen? Just trying to understand as I have never been an employer having to deal with hiring anyone in that situation.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    After reading this I wonder if there are any other departments or places that will be fined? I was always under the impression You had to be a citizen to work here, regardless of job.
    http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/21/denver-sheriff-department-wrongful-hiring-practices/

Your title is incorrect. This has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. This issue is specifically to LEGAL Permanent Residents.

Are you familiar with "Green Cards"?
    https://www.uscis.gov/greencard

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    So an illegal can jump the boarder and get a job as a cop without becoming a citizen? Just trying to understand as I have never been an employer having to deal with hiring anyone in that situation.

No. But LEGAL immigrant that have obtained Permanent Resident Status can get a job.
    See link in my post above.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    From the article:
    Under the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Act, the sheriff’s department should have considered job applications from any work-authorized immigrant. Instead, the department made citizenship a job requirement in its employment postings.

The key word is "work-authorized".

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us

Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Worker

A temporary worker is an individual seeking to enter the United States temporarily for a specific purpose. Nonimmigrants enter the United States for a temporary period of time, and once in the United States, are restricted to the activity or reason for which their nonimmigrant visa was issued.

Permanent (Immigrant) Worker

A permanent worker is an individual who is authorized to live and work permanently in the United States.

Students and Exchange Visitors

Students and exchange visitors may, under certain circumstances, be allowed to work in the United States. They must obtain permission from an authorized official at their school. The authorized official is known as a Designed School Official (DSO) for students and the Responsible Officer (RO) for exchange visitors.

Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish
    If they have a work VISA they are authorized to work anywhere in the USA. Usually the VISA's expire after a short period and the immigrant becomes 'illegal' if he hasn't obtained Lawful Permanent Residency, renewed the VISA or gone back home. I can't understand why anyone would have to pay a fine for not hiring a temporary immigrant. Why invest so much time and energy training and equipping someone who may have to leave the country after their employment authorization period ends? Especially if that person would be required to arrest himself for unlawfully residing in the country :rofl: This happened where I work, a guy from Africa was trained and working, his VISA expired and he couldn't get it renewed. He went back to Africa and we were SOL, had to find someone else.

Last edited:

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Just another government law dictating who an employer can hire and not hire. Almost like when I graduated high school I wanted to go to work for the company my dad retired from but they had a policy that they did not hire relatives, back then. So went to apply at the local paper mill and was told they could take my application but could not hire me. Asked why and was told because of the hiring quotas the only person they could hire was a black female and they had been waiting a long time because none wanted to work.

Top Bottom