Tent Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hi guys, I am thinking about starting to camp frequently with the girlfriend. I am looking for a tent that is comfortable for two people, with enough room for bags, a queen sized air mattress (don't judge), and what not. Weight is not a major constraint as we likely won't be hiking any further than one to one and a half miles with it - tops.

Here are a few I have considered so far, but I am open to others.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JSPB8E...lid=1Y7JRJFFPCHWR&coliid=I3B7SNNV17KUY8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6KUR7...UTF8&colid=1Y7JRJFFPCHWR&coliid=ILGA0FG7V1NDC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LH1RT7...UTF8&colid=1Y7JRJFFPCHWR&coliid=IHDFSUMIMBL78

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEST5R...TF8&colid=1Y7JRJFFPCHWR&coliid=I3NDUD767G5QEC

I'd prefer to stay under $250. But would be willing to go up to $300ish if someone were convincing enough.

Austin

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Nvm

Just realized you are not hiking with it.

If you're car camping, all of your choices are unnecessary.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    We have an 8 person Coleman Cabin Tent. Just me, the wife, gear, 2 cots...... not much room for others..... I can stand up in it anywhere though.... When I upgrade, I'm thinking of a Kodiak tent.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Nvm

Just realized you are not hiking with it.

If you're car camping, all of your choices are unnecessary.

How so?

And we will be mostly car-camping, but possibly hiking a little bit (less than 2 miles) to a good spot. At some point I may go with the guys and hike though, so I don't want something too heavy.

Also, ease of use is important.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    My kids use a great 2 person tent when we go car camping that has a large screen open top. Feels like you are sleeping open but keeps mosquitos out. It has a rain fly if it gets bad. Defiantly light enough to carry a few miles, but not a backpacking tent. I'm still using the Colman dome I got 20 years ago if weather is questionable or there is a lot of bugs, but I prefer theirs.

https://www.amazon.com/Timber-Creek-Tellico-Dome-Tent/dp/B01064DOR0

It really is mostly screen when you are laying in it. I enjoy being under the stars, Just a ground blanket for me, unless the bugs are bad, or rain.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    How so?

And we will be mostly car-camping, but possibly hiking a little bit (less than 2 miles) to a good spot. At some point I may go with the guys and hike though, so I don't want something too heavy.

Also, ease of use is important.

Weight is not a factor in car camping, and most backpacking tents are quite small compared to what the typical car camping tent is.

You can save a lot of money by looking at car camping tents rather than backpacking tents. With backpacking tents, the lighter the weight, the more you pay. That's not necessary if you're hiking 2 miles tops.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Dave is correct. For what you are describing, you should be able to come in well less than $200. Not judging, but by the air mattress stipulation, I'm betting this will be a fair weather tent with her in mind, and will likely not see serious rain. I would really recommend something with a large mesh top, many dome tents available that are basically mesh from half way up that can be covered with the rainfly in an unexpected drizzle. They don't stand up to well in serious rain.

Nothing says romance like cool air, clear skies, stars and a silver moon. Nothing says no play like mosquito swatting and falling tree roaches. Learn from elders life mistakes!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Weight is not a factor in car camping, and most backpacking tents are quite small compared to what the typical car camping tent is.

You can save a lot of money by looking at car camping tents rather than backpacking tents. With backpacking tents, the lighter the weight, the more you pay. That's not necessary if you're hiking 2 miles tops.

Dave is correct. For what you are describing, you should be able to come in well less than $200. Not judging, but by the air mattress stipulation, I'm betting this will be a fair weather tent with her in mind, and will likely not see serious rain. I would really recommend something with a large mesh top, many dome tents available that are basically mesh from half way up that can be covered with the rainfly in an unexpected drizzle. They don't stand up to well in serious rain.

Nothing says romance like cool air, clear skies, stars and a silver moon. Nothing says no play like mosquito swatting and falling tree roaches. Learn from elders life mistakes!

Definitely good advice here. So do y'all have any specific recommendations on tents that I should look at? I want something that is only good for 2 or 3 people, otherwise some of my friends will try to volunteer to share a tent and not bring theirs, which I don't want to deal with again.

The last time we went camping a torrential downpour came in that we weren't expecting at all. So I am okay spending a little extra to make sure it can stay dry inside. That being said, being able to see the stars is a nice touch.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    So do y'all have any specific recommendations on tents that I should look at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmL_cq5rvMg

Here is a video review of the tent I was talking about. It's cheap, sleeps 3 by the label (to tight for three IMHO, very easy to tell a third to get lost) and the rain fly does work adequately for the unexpected rain, although a good windy rain downpour would likely let some in (it's never leaked on us in rain, but I don't think it could stand up to a heavy wind). Notice how open the top is with the rain fly off. I can't tell you for sure if this will fit a queen size air mattress, but the bag mine comes in says 7 x 7. You would have to measure your air mattress and see. I can't see a weight on the package but I would guesstimate it at 3 pounds thereabouts. If you really want to see it we can meet up and you could check it out in person, but mine is not for sale.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmL_cq5rvMg

Here is a video review of the tent I was talking about. It's cheap, sleeps 3 by the label (to tight for three IMHO, very easy to tell a third to get lost) and the rain fly does work adequately for the unexpected rain, although a good windy rain downpour would likely let some in (it's never leaked on us in rain, but I don't think it could stand up to a heavy wind). Notice how open the top is with the rain fly off. I can't tell you for sure if this will fit a queen size air mattress, but the bag mine comes in says 7 x 7. You would have to measure your air mattress and see. I can't see a weight on the package but I would guesstimate it at 3 pounds thereabouts. If you really want to see it we can meet up and you could check it out in person, but mine is not for sale.

I like the concept, but I would prefer one with just a mesh top, or mesh at the top, not mesh walls. I'm gonna do some research to see if it exists.

my friends will try to volunteer to share a tent and not bring theirs, which I don't want to deal with again.

QUOTE]

Those aren't friends, they are called voyeurs.:mamoru:

Oh my.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    One for 2-3 people is small. Generally, it's just big enough for 2-3 people an no gear. I do think most will be happier with a bigger tent for what you describe. It's also nice to be able to stand up in the tent.

People never ask to stay in our tent. I'd tell them to bring their own.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    One for 2-3 people is small. Generally, it's just big enough for 2-3 people an no gear. I do think most will be happier with a bigger tent for what you describe. It's also nice to be able to stand up in the tent.

People never ask to stay in our tent. I'd tell them to bring their own.

I use a one person ultralight tent. A 2-3 person tent is large. Most camping tents are designed for your backpack to be outside the tent under the rain fly vestibule if it's a double wall design. Standing up in a tent is unnecessary, but if you're only car camping, you might as well get the biggest tent possible.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A good brand tent will either come with, or allow for the addition of, a vestibule for your gear.

You have to decide up front what your planned useage is going to be- one tent may not be appropriate for all situations. Be aware that cheap tents will rain on you in humid conditions. They never have enough ventillation.

I usually shop at campmor.com. They tend to have good deals on last year's models- which for camping gear is fine.
    For tents I'm partial to Eureka and MSR. The Eureka Timberline 4 is a very sturdy old style tent. Its easy to set up and allows plent of room for 3 people and packs. Or tons of room for 2... Its a bit heavy for backpacking but since it will sleep 3+ (I've done 4 before even without a vestibule) it can be divided up. One takes the floor, one the poles, one the body. It works. Price is under $200.

The tents you posted are for the most part good tents. BUT not for LA/ MS. They are meant for cool or cold dry weather. Take a look at how much screen area they have. The walls will have rivers running down into your sleeping bag (ask me how I know...). Think breathable.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I use a one person ultralight tent. A 2-3 person tent is large. Most camping tents are designed for your backpack to be outside the tent under the rain fly vestibule if it's a double wall design. Standing up in a tent is unnecessary, but if you're only car camping, you might as well get the biggest tent possible.

I agree. If backpacking, you want what you use. If you are car camping, a big tent, cots or large air mattress is what you want.

Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    I use a Kelty Acadia http://a.co/iws3b7l to do exactly what you are looking to do and its not too big. I love this tent, it is not terrible to carry and it is easy to pitch. Wife and 1 yo are happy and dry. Went to Chicot SP and had a heavy downpour and lots of wind, stood there like a champ. Just my 2cents

That cabin tent is cool though.

Last edited:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Big or small is all personal preference. When I camp all I do in the tent is sleep, so I'll use a small tent (big enough for a queen size air mattress)... Wife and kids is a different story because usually the kids spend a lot of time in the tent bouncing around on the air mattresses.

Waterproof is all in learning how to properly set up a tent. Get a tarp slightly larger than the footprint of the tent, then roll the tarp (rolling down to the ground) til it is slightly under the edge of the tent.

As far as covering the tent goes: I come from the land of boy scouts, so I have mastered the art of using a 12x24 tarp and making a fly by myself... If it's going to rain I'll stay dry.

17856_609358603814_4027339_n.jpg

Edit: Get yourself a good dutch oven, charcoal starter & coffee percolator. Take the DO and throw a roast, some veggies, seasoning & water, and set it on charcoal for several hours. In the mornings I'll put 2 thick tent stakes across the half full charcoal starter and brew my coffee, then cook breakfast on it.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Unless your tent did not come with a rain fly, that giant tarp in unnecessary.

Get a tent with a full rain fly and good ventilation and you won't have a problem.

That's my REI Quarter Dome 1 (front) and a friend's REI Quarter Dome 2 (back) from this past weekend. The rain flys extend down to the tent bottom and have vents to allow for ventilation to reduce condensation. These are backpacking tents, but REI makes the Half Dome & Camp Dome as well. It has excellent reviews and is cheaper than the ultralight Quarter Domes.

31181854241_4c28a89826_b.jpg

Top Bottom