A/C costs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Anyone have A/C work done lately? I've got a friend of mine getting his evaporator coil and plenum replaced. Also getting a fancy UV light installed in the coil box as well as also getting them to fabricate a new transition from the coil to heater. $2300. Sound about right?

Seemed kinda steep to me. Had similar work done about 10 years ago don't remember costing that much. But again 10 years ago.
    From what I was told it's R-22 they're gonna capture and reuse in new coil. So no freon charging costs involved. He doesn't want to replace the whole system right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    Anyone have A/C work done lately? I've got a friend of mine getting his evaporator coil and plenum replaced. Also getting a fancy UV light installed in the coil box as well as also getting them to fabricate a new transition from the coil to heater. $2300. Sound about right?

Seemed kinda steep to me. Had similar work done about 10 years ago don't remember costing that much. But again 10 years ago.
    From what I was told it's R-22 they're gonna capture and reuse in new coil. So no freon charging costs involved. He doesn't want to replace the whole system right now.

How old is the outdoor unit? If it's more than five years old it's better to change the condenser also. You will have at least a 10 year warranty if he would go that route. R22 is pretty much a thing of the past these days. Freon 22 prices are going up every day and won't get any lower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

Had to replace a coil in my attic earlier this year, think it cost me 1100 total

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    I think the outdoor unit is either from when the house was built in 1998 or new in 2006 after Katrina - not sure if it survived though.

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    I think the outdoor unit is either from when the house was built in 1998 or new in 2006 after Katrina - not sure if it survived though.

If it were mine I would change the condenser also. I would get a few different bids and compare warranties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Thing is it's his wife's cousin or brother in law or some crap that's gonna do the work on the side. I told him for a side job for family that seemed kinda steep almost what it would cost maybe even more than if ABC or XYZ company or whoever to come out and do it. He just wants it done.
    The coil backed up into the plenum somehow and it leaked into his sons room under the attic from dripping out the plenum. His house smells musty now (happened in August or September or thereabouts so everything was fermenting in the heat). He looked in the coil and plenum and it was "nasty" he said. He won't turn on the heater since he doesn't want more heat adding to the plenum growth issues. I think right now he just wants to replace the cause of the smelly stuff and will deal with rest later. He's going with his wife's cousin because she wants to and it's family. He's been waiting 2 weeks for it to be done and finally got the quote but he can't come do it for another 2 weeks when he's got time on the weekend. He's bringing a helper. Yada yada yada. I just figured it was kinda steep especially for a family hookup and waiting what will be a month or so to get done.
    I think once the coil and all is replaced he'll replace everything later using someone else since the new coil is supposed to be compatible with the new systems too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom