Where to get steel stock for hobby welding?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Looking for flats, angle, plate, bar, ect. Hoping for somewhere with more options than the Home Depot. I also would like to get some smaller billet pieces for my press. Hoping for somewhere I can browse about, not come in knowing exactly what I want to place an order. Any Ideas?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Tangi is fine if you are not buying a lot of material. Their prices are sometimes ridiculous.

True dat

My pops goes to a junkyard near him in Mississippi. He picks up all kinds of miscellaneous steel for cheap.

Check with some of the distributors lot Ryersons or Melco. It never hurts to get a price. Some places used to sell drops but I think those days have come to an end.

One other option is call a couple local fabricators. They may have some leftovers that they would gladly make a couple extra dollars for.

Last edited:

Tweek

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    madisonville, louisiana
    I think that's bulk metal in general, I bought some 2" square to make a crossmember for my K5 and got it a good bit cheaper from them then I could have online after shipping.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Check out http://www.brecheenpipeandsteel.com in Port Allen. They sell to individuals but require you buy the whole stick of whatever it is you want. Usually in 20ft sections. Prices are very good for what I get there. They'll have samples in the office for you to look at and take a CC.

Thanks, that seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I don't mind buying 20 ft. if they cut to fit in my vehicle. I need to start a scrap pile.

- - - Updated - - -

Tractor Supply has worked for me for small projects.

I can't believe I did not think of that. I'll check them out, just down the road.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Thanks, that seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I don't mind buying 20 ft. if they cut to fit in my vehicle. I need to start a scrap pile.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't believe I did not think of that. I'll check them out, just down the road.

I went to Capitol Steel or what ever the new name is on Choctaw and got them to cut me a I think 2 1/2' x 4 1/2' plate 3/16" thick to work on a bushhog. They have about anything you want in that huge building

Top Bottom