35 Whelen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike84z28

Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Good luck finding those Barnes 180 this time of year. They are a limited production run every summer and are sold out by October everywhere.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    They usually have the projectiles if you can load your own. When I got my 35 Academy stocked the Barnes regularly, now no luck! The Hornady 200's are pretty available and I hear good things about them if you get in a bind.

Tweek

Nov 3, 2009
    madisonville, louisiana
    They usually have the projectiles if you can load your own. When I got my 35 Academy stocked the Barnes regularly, now no luck! The Hornady 200's are pretty available and I hear good things about them if you get in a bind.

Just an FYI my TC encore didnt like the hornady 200s at all, grouped great at 50 but all over the place at 100.

tallwalker

Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Just got finished helping a freind with his brand new TC Encore in 35 Whelen. All he could find for ammo was Hornady Superformance (200gr 2970fps). Would not group AT ALL at any distance. He gave up after a box and a half, and that's OUCH with that ammo trust me. Turned out his foregrip had loosened slightly from the recoil and switching to Fusion bullets had it shooting .5" groups. Best thing of course is handloads and find the right combination, but 35 Whelen is known as a picky caliber. Nice thing about that though is it sure is dirt easy to tell what you gun doesn't like. That Encore flat hates the Hornadys.

Last edited:

returningliberty

Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Just got finished helping a freind with his brand new TC Encore in 35 Whelen. All he could find for ammo was Hornady Superformance (200gr 2970fps). Would not group AT ALL at any distance. He gave up after a box and a half, and that's OUCH with that ammo trust me. Turned out his foregrip had loosened slightly from the recoil and switching to Fusion bullets had it shooting .5" groups. Best thing of course is handloads and find the right combination, but 35 Whelen is known as a picky caliber. Nice thing about that though is it sure is dirt easy to tell what you gun doesn't like. That Encore flat hates the Hornadys.

My handi rifle really likes the 200gr Fusion loads. 1" group at 50 yards with me seriously recoil fatigued. I tried a couple of boxes of the 225gr. Federals but couldn't get them to group well. I originally thought it was me but maybe it was because my rifle just didn't like them.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    just for more data points, My CVA really likes the factory Barnes 180's, and my friend who liked the Hornady's shoots a CVA as well.

tallwalker

Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Yeah, makes sense. The Encore is a 1:14 twist 24" barrel so should be somewhere about 200-250gr, but it looks like that barrel wants a 180-200gr running about 2450fps. Like Hornady's box says "speed kills" but in our case it just killed the accuracy I think. I was reading on a number of TC forums about others having the exact same issues with them.

If you want a ton of info and articles about TC look at Mike Bellm's site. Tell you all you need to know. http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

beauxdog

Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Call the store in the morning, we had some the other day. 225-389-6077

Bryan

tallwalker

Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Thanks Bryan. Yep, I need to make the trip and stock up on a few other things too so I'll be in soon as well. Need another set of 35 W dies, bullets, and once I zero in on what powder that too. It's just so dangerous when I "just stop by" !!

beauxdog

Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I forgot to add to the posting, sorry. Yesterday afternoon we had 3 boxes of the Barnes .35 caliber 180 gr & 2 boxes of the 200 gr, both the TTSX.

Bryan

Top Bottom