Lemme axe you sumpin!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I need an axe. Primarily splitting wood for outdoor firepit, and grill. But uses will also include chopping trees and logs for firewood. I have an eastwing hatchet I love, but the only axe they have is a light camp axe. Not heavy enough for my needs.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Gransfors Bruks Forest Axe

Hults Bruks equivalent

Hultsfors equivalent

Council Tools equivalent.

Be sure to look at the grinds or cross sections to determine which best fits what YOU want. If it's primarily for splitting I think Council Tools may have the best initial grind (a broad convex profile compared to the others - but I was looking at the GB Small Forest Axe, the others MAY be different).

Lots of info online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I love my estwing axes. Left one in the woods for a season and it rusted inside and broke where the solid steel shank starts. Bought a new one but hammered a piece of heavy pipe around the shank and welded it. Good as new.

I wouldn't try to cut logs with an axe, that's for a saw, but for splitting, hard to beat a 20-30 dollar wedge type splitting maul (fiberglass handle!) and maybe a pineapple wedge to get the tough ones started.
    FYI, I've split cords of wood every season by hand and it's always easier to split it GREEN. If you can't split all you drag up, wait to cut to length til u can split it.
    Hickory will pop to pieces when it's wet, real easy to split, but real tough when dry .
    Red oak is similar but has a lot of pulls that hang up the axe and only gets worse when dry.
    Unless you really want long logs, cut the boogers 12-14" and they will split much easier than the 16-20"
    On a good cool day I can split a cord down to 3-4" size and still have some life left in me.

One last offering, find a fat log bigger than your others to use as a base. You will find it more effective if the logs are at or just above knee height when you hit them.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I went to home Depot and got a synthetic handle splitting are that works wonders. I'd highly recommend it.

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I've split countless cords of wood, with wedges and a sledge. And I've cut a crap ton of trees with various camp axes.
    I'll check out GB forest axe.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Cutting and splitting are 2 different jobs that require 2 different tools.
    A regular axe can be used to split small stuff but a dedicated splitting axe isn't designed for cutting.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom