Does anyone Anneal Brass near the Mandeville/Covington Area?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    For 100 pieces just do it yourself by and with a plumbers torch. Stick the neck in the flame and roll it with your fingers at the base, then drop it in water. If you are burning your fingers you're are heating it too long. I have done thousands of cases this way over the years, never a problem . Btw I do have a giraud annealer and still do small runs by hand my machine is not set up for that caliber.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Akajun method will work for one time small runs. I'd put a stripe of 750 degree Tempilaq inside the case neck. When the stripe changes color the brass has hit the correct temperature.

Although I probably could justify a Giraud annealer I went a more ghetto route.
    http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/home.html
    Yes you can burn yourself. Yes it's takes a bit of fiddling to get it set up so the flames are in the correct position. But it works and is affordable.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    For 100 pieces just do it yourself by and with a plumbers torch. Stick the neck in the flame and roll it with your fingers at the base, then drop it in water. If you are burning your fingers you're are heating it too long. I have done thousands of cases this way over the years, never a problem . Btw I do have a giraud annealer and still do small runs by hand my machine is not set up for that caliber.

This

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    There are YouTube videos on different ways to do this yourself. Have fun!

SwampMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Gonzales
    Akajun method will work for one time small runs. I'd put a stripe of 750 degree Tempilaq inside the case neck. When the stripe changes color the brass has hit the correct temperature.

Although I probably could justify a Giraud annealer I went a more ghetto route.
    http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/home.html
    Yes you can burn yourself. Yes it's takes a bit of fiddling to get it set up so the flames are in the correct position. But it works and is affordable.

I have had good success with the AnnealRite system also. It's inexpensive and works well.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm going to need 100x Nosler 30-06 Brass annealed.
    Why do you need to anneal them? Sounds like they are new. If you polish annealed brass the color change disappears. Sometimes not entirely but it is fairly undetectable.

One method is to us a drill with a socket the case fits in a bit loosely and a torch. Spin the case slowly in the drill/socket and drop it out when done. Practice on a couple of less desirable cases until you get your methods coordinated. You should be able to find some pics of what over, under and properly annealed looks like. Youtube has a bunch of videos and some even have decent homemade setups.

Last edited:

Shadeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Hammond
    I have a Bench Source Vertex annealing machine. I have not used it yet but you are welcome to come over and use it. All I need is a propane tank, splitter and hoses which I can get easily.

Hackett

Reloader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Marrero, LA
    Fill the cases with water to just below the neck. Then put each case in water to that same line, then torch the necks until you get to just about a pink color. The water will prevent you from annealing anything other than the neck and you'll get use to judging the heated color. Just don't over heat or you can make the brass brittle or even melt it. Just want a glowing pink. Take your time, it's fairly easy to do in small batches.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom