Lifetime carry permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mojo873

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    We were told in our CCW Class that the Louisiana Lifetime Carry Permit is not being honored or accepted in some states like Florida, only the 5 year carry permits are honored.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    We were told in our CCW Class that the Louisiana Lifetime Carry Permit is not being honored or accepted in some states like Florida, only the 5 year carry permits are honored.

I haven't heard anything about Florida like that. Maybe your CHP instructor doesn't have it right. It happens people come on here and other place with bad info they got from a class.

Mojo873

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Florida does not honor Lifetime Carry Permits because they don't have it, theirs is just 7 years. With reciprocity law you would need to abide by the law of the host state that you visit. And I believe it is not bad info, it is an information that needs to be verified and validated to serve as guide for everyone here who intend to get a lifetime permit and travel a lot with their firearms so when the time comes they are fully informed. It is better to be safe than to be sorry in the end, and I am just sharing what I've learned from my CCW Class in FRC, it is up to the people who gets to read it if they would verify and validate it or believe it or not. Have a great night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Florida does not honor Lifetime Carry Permits because they don't have it, theirs is just 7 years. With reciprocity law you would need to abide by the law of the host state that you visit. And I believe it is not bad info, it is an information that needs to be verified and validated to serve as guide for everyone here who intend to get a lifetime permit and travel a lot with their firearms so when the time comes they are fully informed. It is better to be safe than to be sorry in the end, and I am just sharing what I've learned from my CCW Class in FRC, it is up to the people who gets to read it if they would verify and validate it or believe it or not. Have a great night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't find that written anywhere I would like to see it.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    If you have the lifetime, it does NOT serve as a background check when buying a gun.

This is incorrect. Currently, a lifetime permit is no different than any other concealed handgun permit with respect to serving as substitute for a NICS check as long as it was issued after March 9, 2015 and not more than five years have passed since the date of issuance.

However, an issue may arise in the future as such---say Joe is issued a lifetime permit on March 15, 2015. Under state law he must take a refresher course every five years and submit evidence of said refresher course to the state to keep his permit in good standing. He does so prior to March 15, 2020. The question is: When Joe completes his refresher and it is acknowledged by the state is he just sent a letter saying your permit is still good, leaving him with a permit issued on March 15, 2015 and expiring LIFETIME or does the state send him a fresh permit card with his renewal date as the issue date of March 15, 2020 and expiring LIFETIME? If it is the former the lifetime permit would only be a substitute for the NICS check for the first five years, if the latter (which I believe is how LSP is going to handle it) then the lifetime is like any other permit.

I submit for your further review:

-the OPEN LETTER TO ALL LOUISIANA FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES from the ATF dated April 3, 2015.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11481/download

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Don't get the lifetime... it's not worth it. You still need to re-certify every 5 years anyway and the you CAN NOT bypass the background check with a Lifetime. Aside from some states dropping reciprocity.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Don't get the lifetime... it's not worth it. You still need to re-certify every 5 years anyway and the you CAN NOT bypass the background check with a Lifetime. Aside from some states dropping reciprocity.

Did you read the PDF in the post above yours?
    If the permit was issued after March 9, 2015 and within the past 5 years, then you bypass the background check.

This is incorrect. Currently, a lifetime permit is no different than any other concealed handgun permit with respect to serving as substitute for a NICS check as long as it was issued after March 9, 2015 and not more than five years have passed since the date of issuance.

However, an issue may arise in the future as such---say Joe is issued a lifetime permit on March 15, 2015. Under state law he must take a refresher course every five years and submit evidence of said refresher course to the state to keep his permit in good standing. He does so prior to March 15, 2020. The question is: When Joe completes his refresher and it is acknowledged by the state is he just sent a letter saying your permit is still good, leaving him with a permit issued on March 15, 2015 and expiring LIFETIME or does the state send him a fresh permit card with his renewal date as the issue date of March 15, 2020 and expiring LIFETIME? If it is the former the lifetime permit would only be a substitute for the NICS check for the first five years, if the latter (which I believe is how LSP is going to handle it) then the lifetime is like any other permit.

I submit for your further review:

-the OPEN LETTER TO ALL LOUISIANA FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES from the ATF dated April 3, 2015.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11481/download

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Be aware that LSP may have a different interpretation of the enabling legislation:
    The passage of Act 221 of the 2014 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature amends La. R.S. 40:1379.3 to require the Department of Public Safety to conduct a check on every Concealed Handgun Permit applicant through the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Pursuant to Act 221 of the 2014 Legislative Session, approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been obtained and possession of a current and valid 5-year Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit, issued on or after March 9, 2015 shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t) for the purchase of a firearm, and may be used in lieu of a NICS check. However, as stated in Act 221, possession of a Concealed Handgun Permit that has a Lifetime designation shall not constitute sufficient evidence of the background check pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t)."

this is under the 2014 legislative changes:
    http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#apply

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Did you read the PDF in the post above yours?
    If the permit was issued after March 9, 2015 and within the past 5 years, then you bypass the background check.

Not if it is a lifetime. It has to have an expiration date for the 4473 (Also stated in the PDF). I perform background checks daily... I know what is accepted and what isn't... if you have a LIFETIME permit... you CAN NOT bypass the background check no matter when it was issued.

Last edited:

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Be aware that LSP may have a different interpretation of the enabling legislation:
    The passage of Act 221 of the 2014 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature amends La. R.S. 40:1379.3 to require the Department of Public Safety to conduct a check on every Concealed Handgun Permit applicant through the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Pursuant to Act 221 of the 2014 Legislative Session, approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been obtained and possession of a current and valid 5-year Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit, issued on or after March 9, 2015 shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t) for the purchase of a firearm, and may be used in lieu of a NICS check. However, as stated in Act 221, possession of a Concealed Handgun Permit that has a Lifetime designation shall not constitute sufficient evidence of the background check pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t)."

this is under the 2014 legislative changes:
    http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#apply

I'm glad you brought this up. I am aware of the LSP's rather puzzling interpretation of the law and am putting together a letter to send to the Concealed Handgun Permit Unit for clarification.

The reason I find this puzzling is that there is nothing in Act 221 of the 2014 Legislative Session (to include all proposed changes and amendments that discusses anything regarding the five year or lifetime permits). In fact, I can't find anything in the law ANYWHERE that would support a distinction.

The only possible reason I could see for this is that they are not running the lifetime permit applications through the same background process (specifically NICS) that they do for the five year permits.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Not if it is a lifetime. It has to have an expiration date for the 4473 (Also stated in the PDF). I perform background checks daily... I know what is accepted and what isn't... if you have a LIFETIME permit... you CAN NOT bypass the background check no matter when it was issued.

Again did you read the letter? Looks like the lifetime is accepted but I've always been told no go also.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

I don't see the bolded part in the PDF posted.
    Can you direct me to where it states that the permit has to have an expiration date?
    All I see is that it has to be issues after March 9,2015, issued with the past 5 years, and not be expired.

IANAL so maybe Kenny and expound further on this.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Can you direct me to where it states that the permit has to have an expiration date?
    All I see is that it has to be issues after March 9,2015, issued with the past 5 years, and not be expired.

whitsend, what you are seeing is the disconnect between what the actual statute and the ATF's open letter (which agree) say and LSP's position.

kingfhb is following LSP's guidance, and he's not incorrect in stating that is LSP's position on their website.

However, I believe this is a misinterpretation of the statute. Again, the only basis for this would be if LSP's procedures for a 5 year permit differ from those of a lifetime permit in a way that would make the lifetime permit non-compliant with the statutory and/or ATF requirements. If that is the case, I don't believe ATF is aware of it or they would have made the distinction in their open letter to FFLs advising them how to handle these permits.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA

It's not quoted on the PDF exactly... it states that an Expiration Date is needed.... you don't have an expiration with a Lifetime permit. The ATF auditors will flag it as well. BELIEVE ME... you CAN NOT bypass the background check with a lifetime permit. Coming from someone who does it daily.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    It's not quoted on the PDF exactly... it states that an Expiration Date is needed.... you don't have an expiration with a Lifetime permit. The ATF auditors will flag it as well. BELIEVE ME... you CAN NOT bypass the background check with a lifetime permit. Coming from someone who does it daily.

Now hang on, that is not what that ATF letter says. It says that you have to make sure the permit "has not expired under state law".

I think everyone can see there is a disconnect between LSP and state law/ATF letter. What is in the best interest of everyone is well reasoned consistency---whatever that may be in this case---by getting everyone on the same page.

Let's not make this more complicated by inserting words into the mouth of any party.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Now hang on, that is not what that ATF letter says. It says that you have to make sure the permit "has not expired under state law".

I think everyone can see there is a disconnect between LSP and state law/ATF letter. What is in the best interest of everyone is well reasoned consistency---whatever that may be in this case---by getting everyone on the same page.

Let's not make this more complicated by inserting words into the mouth of any party.

Read it closely... It is open to inturpretation... however, (and on the 4473), from the ATF letter...

3. Verify that the concealed handgun permit was issued on or after March 9, 2015, and within the past 5 years by the State in which the transfer is to occur, and that THE PERMIT HAS NOT EXPIRED UNDER STATE LAW. -- What you are quoting.

4. Either retain a copy of the transferee's concealed firearm permit and attach it to the Form 4473, or record on the Form 4473 any identifying number form the permit, the date of issuance, AND THE EXPIRATION DATE OF THE PERMIT.

As I said... the ATF AUDITORS will hit us on the forms if there is no expiration date. REGARDLESS OF THE PERMIT BEING LIFETIME.

From the State Police...

However, as stated in Act 221, possession of a Concealed Handgun Permit that has a Lifetime designation shall not constitute sufficient evidence of the background check pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t)

--
    Regardless... get the lifetime if you so choose... It isn't worth it for the simple fact that you have to recert every 5 years anyway. Just don't complain when you come buy a firearm and they run the background check (is it really that difficult to wait 5 minutes for the online system to provide a response anyway?) because you have a lifetime. Don't say I didn't inform you.

Last edited:

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I don't understand why everyone says not to get a lifetime permit. Yes, it will take 20 years for it to start benefiting you financially, but after that, you no longer have to pay the $125 renewal fee every 5 years. And chances are, in 20 years, the renewal fee will go up. Yes, you will still have to take a refreshed class every 5 years which you will have to do regardless of a 5 year permit or lifetime permit. So, if you are young, then I think the lifetime permit is the way to go. If you renew every 5 years for 25 years, it will cost you $625 whereas with a lifetime permit it will never cost you more than $500. And so what if you have to do a background check when buying a gun. It takes all of 10 minutes. I am a veteran, so I am getting a lifetime permit for free. :)

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I don't understand why everyone says not to get a lifetime permit. Yes, it will take 20 years for it to start benefiting you financially, but after that, you no longer have to pay the $125 renewal fee every 5 years. And chances are, in 20 years, the renewal fee will go up. Yes, you will still have to take a refreshed class every 5 years which you will have to do regardless of a 5 year permit or lifetime permit. So, if you are young, then I think the lifetime permit is the way to go. If you renew every 5 years for 25 years, it will cost you $625 whereas with a lifetime permit it will never cost you more than $500. And so what if you have to do a background check when buying a gun. It takes all of 10 minutes. I am a veteran, so I am getting a lifetime permit for free. :)

Maybe it has something to do with the deal about background checks for a 5 year vs. lifetime.

FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEE (FFL) - CHP STATUS INQUIRY
    This link, found at the top of our webpage, allows all FFL's the ability to check the current status of a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit. This real time functionality will aid a FFL in determining the purchase of a firearm for a permittee that possesses a current and valid 5-year permit, issued on or after March 9, 2015, that can be used in lieu of a NICS check, pursuant to Act 221 of the 2014 Legislative Session. Acceptable statuses should reflect "APPROVED" or "REINSTATED" only.

Top Bottom