Lifetime carry permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jackinpox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Westwego, LA
    Just took my carry class Saturday and need to start the process of getting the permit. I wanted to know if the lifetime was worth the money and what I would need to do for classes if I did get the lifetime.

jackinpox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Westwego, LA
    But if I get the lifetime do I have to do anymore classes while I have the permit?

jarredelectric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    The lifetime is an expensive 5 year since you still have to take the class and send in every 5 years. Just don't have to pay for renewal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackinpox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Westwego, LA
    I was reading all the info on the LSP website seems the only thing I would have to pay for after getting the lifetime is paying for the renewal class. Still not sure about it. But it would only be like 100 bucks for the renewal class instead of another 125 bucks for the renewal of it.

Last edited:

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Getting a New Hampshire out of state CCW permit is easier, cheaper, and honored in LA.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newhampshire.pdf
    I see an upcoming price war for CCW permits in the run up to national reciprocity. Also, I believe lifetime LA permits become invalid if you move out of state.

-Admin Note: Please see the responses in regards to this advice... ie, don't follow it -

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    if you read the regs, the 5 year permit lets you bypass the NICS and the lifetime does not...
    The passage of Act 221 of the 2014 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature amends La. R.S. 40:1379.3 to require the Department of Public Safety to conduct a check on every Concealed Handgun Permit applicant through the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Pursuant to Act 221 of the 2014 Legislative Session, approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been obtained and possession of a current and valid 5-year Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit, issued on or after March 9, 2015 shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t) for the purchase of a firearm, and may be used in lieu of a NICS check. However, as stated in Act 221, possession of a Concealed Handgun Permit that has a Lifetime designation shall not constitute sufficient evidence of the background check pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t).

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Getting a New Hampshire out of state CCW permit is easier, cheaper, and honored in LA.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newhampshire.pdf
    I see an upcoming price war for CCW permits in the run up to national reciprocity. Also, I believe lifetime LA permits become invalid if you move out of state.

It is Not Legal for a Louisiana resident to carry concealed in Louisiana without a Louisiana Concealed Carry Permit.

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just took my carry class Saturday and need to start the process of getting the permit. I wanted to know if the lifetime was worth the money and what I would need to do for classes if I did get the lifetime.

I got a lifetime permit since I am prior military and I wouldn't have to pay the fees for it. Did that mostly in case they decide to take away that privilege and start charging fees for it again.

Will still need to take a renewal class every 5 years and submit that to the LSP though.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    OP, there is no advantage to getting the lifetime permit, and if anyone says there is, they are an idiot.

In Louisiana, as of March 9th, 2015, you can use your LA CHP in lieu of the NICS background check, ONLY if you have a 5 year permit. Lifetime permit holders can not use this method.

If you're a LA resident, you must have a LA CHP.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    OP, there is no advantage to getting the lifetime permit, and if anyone says there is, they are an idiot.

In Louisiana, as of March 9th, 2015, you can use your LA CHP in lieu of the NICS background check, ONLY if you have a 5 year permit. Lifetime permit holders can not use this method.

If you're a LA resident, you must have a LA CHP.

I think this about covers the answer.

Also, just a note, I strongly encourage everyone to be taking classes as frequently as $ allows that will help you hone your skills. The CHP class every 5 years is not enough.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    It is Not Legal for a Louisiana resident to carry concealed in Louisiana without a Louisiana Concealed Carry Permit.

I was going to respond to that then I got to your post. That Florida out of state permit stuff caught some of our LA people didn't it.
    A ham guy was talking to Marliam and I about classes and he was going to get with Marliam about how to contact you.

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think this about covers the answer.

Also, just a note, I strongly encourage everyone to be taking classes as frequently as $ allows that will help you hone your skills. The CHP class every 5 years is not enough.

That's good advice. I also recommend getting to the range as often as finances allow. Doesn't hurt to date and save the silhouettes either. God forbid you should ever need to use your firearm in self defense, but if you did it's good to show that you maintain proficiency.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Now all I have to pay for is the class. :hi5:

The passage of Act 44 of the 2016 Regular Legislative Session (Effective August 1, 2016) amended and reenacted R.S. 40:1379.3(W), relative to concealed handgun permits; to exempt honorably discharged veterans of the U.S. armed forces from all fees associated with 5-year or lifetime concealed handgun permits. This Act doesn’t affect currently active military personnel. Active duty personnel remain eligible to receive the half price discount with a copy of your most recent orders.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom