Lifetime carry permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I don't understand why everyone says not to get a lifetime permit. Yes, it will take 20 years for it to start benefiting you financially, but after that, you no longer have to pay the $125 renewal fee every 5 years. And chances are, in 20 years, the renewal fee will go up. Yes, you will still have to take a refreshed class every 5 years which you will have to do regardless of a 5 year permit or lifetime permit. So, if you are young, then I think the lifetime permit is the way to go. If you renew every 5 years for 25 years, it will cost you $625 whereas with a lifetime permit it will never cost you more than $500. And so what if you have to do a background check when buying a gun. It takes all of 10 minutes. I am a veteran, so I am getting a lifetime permit for free. :)

The benefit to not getting a lifetime permit is that you can show your card and not have to fill out and wait for the NICS check. That's it. As a veteran, everything else is equal, since it's free.

It is ridiculous though, that you can't use the lifetime permit to bypass the 4473. You go through the exact same checks every 5 years, you just don't have an exp. date on your card.....

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The benefit to not getting a lifetime permit is that you can show your card and not have to fill out and wait for the NICS check. That's it. As a veteran, everything else is equal, since it's free.

It is ridiculous though, that you can't use the lifetime permit to bypass the 4473. You go through the exact same checks every 5 years, you just don't have an exp. date on your card.....

Do they do background checks every 5 years for the lifetime or do they just require to have a renewal class and send in that paper work?

I bet James knows. :)

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010

I own a dozen or so guns so I have been through the background check process many times. It literally takes about 10 minutes to fill out the form and have the background check done. So I don't see that as being an issue at all. I have gone to a gun store on my 1 hour lunch break and spotted a gun that I had been searching for at a great price, filled out the paperwork and bought it and I was back at work before my lunch break was over. To me I would have to buy guns weekly for the benefit of skipping the background check to make any difference at all. I only buy a new gun every 5 or so years so 10 minutes out of my life every 5 years is no big deal.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I own a dozen or so guns so I have been through the background check process many times. It literally takes about 10 minutes to fill out the form and have the background check done. So I don't see that as being an issue at all. I have gone to a gun store on my 1 hour lunch break and spotted a gun that I had been searching for at a great price, filled out the paperwork and bought it and I was back at work before my lunch break was over. To me I would have to buy guns weekly for the benefit of skipping the background check to make any difference at all. I only buy a new gun every 5 or so years so 10 minutes out of my life every 5 years is no big deal.

The point initially was that you have to RE-CERTIFY every 5 years anyway, lifetime or not... so why even get the lifetime in the first place?? Especially when you LOSE the ability to bypass the background check? What does the lifetime provide you that the 5 year doesn't? The ability to maintain CCW if they change the law and revoke or choose not to renew permits? Come on now.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    You still have to fill out the 4473, just no back round check.

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Some people, for whatever reason, always get delayed. In my case, I believe it is because I am a resident alien. I have never been denied, just always get a delay. For us, bypassing the actual check is huge, especially with gun show purchases where the vendor may be from another city.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Some people, for whatever reason, always get delayed. In my case, I believe it is because I am a resident alien. I have never been denied, just always get a delay. For us, bypassing the actual check is huge, especially with gun show purchases where the vendor may be from another city.

Why not call the ATF and get a UID (Unique Identification Number)? That would help you.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    The point initially was that you have to RE-CERTIFY every 5 years anyway, lifetime or not... so why even get the lifetime in the first place?? Especially when you LOSE the ability to bypass the background check? What does the lifetime provide you that the 5 year doesn't? The ability to maintain CCW if they change the law and revoke or choose not to renew permits? Come on now.

The lifetime permit is basicly the same cost as the 5 year permit over a 20 year period ($125 x 4). After that, you start to make your money back. The next time you renew your license, you save $125 and every time after that. And that is IF the state permit fee remains the same. Who is to say that the state renewal fee next year will not increase to $150? With the lifetime permit, the state fee will never be more than $500, that is the benefit. I am a veteran so for me, the lifetime license is free. From now on, I just have to pay for the renewal class every 5 years and the state fee is waived. And like I said in a previous post, it takes 10 minutes to fill out the forms and have the gun store call in for the background check. I bought an AR last year and it literally took 10 minutes to fill out the paperwork and be cleared for the purchase. I had my concealed permit when I bought the AR but I did not know that we could bypass the background check.

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The lifetime permit is basicly the same cost as the 5 year permit over a 20 year period ($125 x 4). After that, you start to make your money back. The next time you renew your license, you save $125 and every time after that. And that is IF the state permit fee remains the same. I am a veteran so for me, the lifetime license is free. From now on, I just have to pay for the renewal class every 5 years and the state fee is waived. And like I said in a previous post, it takes 10 minutes to fill out the forms and have the gun store call in for the background check. I bought an AR last year and it literally took 10 minutes to fill out the paperwork and be cleared for the purchase. I had my concealed permit when I bought the AR but I did not know that we could bypass the background check.

Think about these benefits with the 5 year...

1. No NICS check... (yeah, 10 minutes of your life IF the system is running as advertised... I've seen it take 20 or 30 or even longer in some cases).
    2. If you are purchasing a firearm and the NICS system is down or delayed for any reason (which happens REGULARLY)... YOU CAN STILL WALK OUT WITH YOUR FIREARM!
    3. If there is a back-log of NICS checks being performed by the store... YOU JUMP TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE!

I'm a vet and I get the waiving of the fees... but I still think the five year is the way to go for the added benefit. It's not just 10 minutes... there's more to it than that.

Top Bottom