Amazon Prime

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Just an FYI for anyone who uses Prime...they offer 'Free' Unlimited Cloud Storage for Prime Member Photos (built into your membership fee)...Unlimited Cloud storage for Member Videos for an added $60/Year.

I've been using both for a few months now and it's pretty good. Auto upload option once you are on WiFi is convenient.

I have around 2TB of pics/vids on some external HDs that i've downloaded as well...took a while to complete that upload :eek3:

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Convenient and a good business decision to force customers to keep the service. (I doubt you ever cancel if you know you need to retrieve TB's of data from their cloud first)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I also use the auto-backup w/ Prime. I'm a huge Amazon fan, so I'll likely always have Prime. Definitely worth the money.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I just signed up for prime when they had the Grand Tour premiere special of $79. It figures the first movie I tried to stream isn't on the free list. :curse:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What advantage does cloud storage have over harddrive storage?

They have backups of their backups. So very small risk of loss.

Also, this backs up the second you take a photo, so if your phone gets destroyed before you have a chance to DL the pictures, you're still good to go.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    They have backups of their backups. So very small risk of loss.

Also, this backs up the second you take a photo, so if your phone gets destroyed before you have a chance to DL the pictures, you're still good to go.

Flickr gives you 1 TB of storage for free with auto-uploading. So, what advantage does Amazon have over that?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Flickr gives you 1 TB of storage for free with auto-uploading. So, what advantage does Amazon have over that?
    I've never heard of Flickr and have heard of Amazon. That's an advantage lol

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you already use Amazon a lot and have prime for shipping, movies, books or any other bundled thing they give you with Prime then unlimited storage is an added bonus. If you don't use Prime then 1TB free may be enough for you but with most pictures now taking up on average of 10-20MB it can get chewed up quicker than you think. Don't even get me started on hard drive failures I have had a few lately with some of my older machines.

On a side note if you use external hard drives to backup data make sure that they do not use hardware encryption. I had the encryption chip burn out on a WD external drive and it rendered all of the data on the drive irretrievable.

My hangup with Cloud storage is that your stuff is only as safe as the most security conscious person at the company. I don't trust Cloud storage companies too much because they are large targets. Not saying that my pictures are classified but I don't like my stuff out there on the Net out of my control.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Flickr has been around since 2004. Look it up and you will be amazed.

Interesting. Google also gives free unlimited photo backups.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I use Dropbox it's on my phone, pad & laptop it auto loads any pictures and I share some files that I store there and it is free.
    (you can buy more storage if you need)

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I just signed up for prime when they had the Grand Tour premiere special of $79. It figures the first movie I tried to stream isn't on the free list. :curse:

lol yeah they are a good 2 to 3 steps behind Netflix when it comes to movies Free with Prime (though the Prime Exclusive Shows are starting to ramp up), but there's enough of a selection to where it's decent (though not decent enough to justify Prime, imho).

We use Amazon a lot throughout the year, so shipping costs alone pays for our membership, throw in the movies, music, books, and now Cloud service and we are set for a decently cheap set up. We have a tone of devices as well that are in use so Cloud is helping us out a good bit. Up until early last year I was using external drives and DVDs as my two sources for storage...good grief am I glad that's over with.

For now I'm still storing our digital files on an external hard drive as well since I still have about 2.5 TB of free space left to fill...once that fills up tho, i'm not sure if I'll continue to do that or not.

Let's hope Trump doesn't go full potato on Amazon and that all his tough talk about them during his campaign was just more hot air :)

Top Bottom