December 7, Pearl Harbor Day

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Please let not forget those who gave all, and those that are still giving today. Been watching a lot about it on the History Channel. I don't know about you, but that generation has influenced me the most. God Bless them all.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    My mother was a Navy nurse stationed on Pearl at the time of the attack. She passed away in 1995.

We should have dropped a couple more atomic bombs on Japan before they surrendered, imo.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I was watching the history channel this weekend. Two great programs on Dec.7th. So what do they have on tonight? Pickers & Vikings. No History on the history channel. I guess I'll be watching Tora,Tora, Tora on TCM, and not that aweful Pearl Harbor movie with affleck.
    John_ I believe in Aug.'45 we only had 2 bombs and we used those.
    And my heartfelt thanks to all those that served both then and now.

Sniper56

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    My Dad was an Army Lieutenant stationed in Pearl Harbor at Schofield Barracks and he never talked about the attack other than saying it was horrendous.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    My Father In Law served in the Pacific. He would never speak of how it was, until one Christmas he started to cry, he told us some of the things that happened. That Christmas changed my life for ever. Every Christmas I re-live what he told me and what he had to do.

OutOfAmmo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2016
    Ponchatoula
    I make it a point to thank any veteran and police officer but in particular those of the greatest generation such as my father and uncles who fought in the pacific and Philippines.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    My Dad was an Army Lieutenant stationed in Pearl Harbor at Schofield Barracks and he never talked about the attack other than saying it was horrendous.

Yeah my mother never uttered a word about the attack or the aftermath on Pearl that i can remember, not in 38 years. No doubt as a freshly minted RN she saw enough horrors to last a lifetime at such a young age.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    My Grandmother on my Dad's side passed away years ago. I was helping my dad with her things, we found a pictured I.D. card from the U.S. Navy, it was some type of security clearance card issued to her out of New Orleans. To this day we still do not know what she did during the war? She never told anyone.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Part of my extended family was Uncle Ike. Flew 50 missions in WWII. He and I would spend hours talking airplanes and just enjoying each others company. On one occasion he was talking about the mission to bomb Polesti, losing so many of his squadron mates. "Yeah it was high risk but who else was going to do it." Another of his quotes still gives me chuckle. "It was so cold at altitude that you didn't give a damn that the Germans were shooting at you."

Ike passed away this year at age 102. Thank you sir. I owe you a debt I cannot repay.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/ike-dugas-obituary?pid=1000000177225595

My mother did her part for the war effort. First gig was soldering tabs onto batteries that went into walkie talkies. Then she got a job at Lake City. Yeah, that Lake City. Quality control on a production line. In my stash of stuff is a .50BMG round headstamped LC44. I never asked her if she was on that production line when she was in QC. Wish I had.

Many of the Greatest Generation never talked about the War. It was ugly, nasty, with horrors we can't imagine. Those that do tend to be modest about it. "We had a job to do and we went and did it." Here on the homefront every man, woman, and child did something. I believe I still have my mothers ration stamp book. When I asked her why she kept it all these years, "You never know when you might need it again."

Top Bottom