LA Gun

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 88
  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtattoo79 View Post
    Sorry but that guy was an ass! To take something from someone else's child that makes them smile is selfish.
    well if he doesn't believe in santa then what the hell is he going there. a lot of child molesters out this time for the year.

  2. #22
    LEO
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    1,311
    This is one of those things where, if I was just some dude with some type of job where an arrest or two wouldn't make or break my career, I might find it worth some misdemeanor bail money and a year or two on the naughty list just to sort that Grinch out for being such an ass to all of those kids. What a giant douchebag! If I, as an officer, were to respond to that simple battery complaint, I'd probably find a summons to be the appropriate course of action. Wouldn't want bail to put a financial restriction on anyone's Christmas dinner.

  3. #23
    Not a Fed.

    Premium Member
    charlie12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pride
    Posts
    7,430
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfAmmo View Post
    Sad this man has His priorities all messed up Santa and Jesus can and should all Coexist in the spirit of giving and caring. After all the giving Jesus did saved us all and what a gift.
    I agree
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.




  4. #24
    Marksman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
    I always taught my kids that there was no santa, it was just a make believe story, a fair tale. Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas.
    But I also taught them to be respectful to others, and not go telling kids at school that santa wasn't real.

    But I guess some folks just can't be nice and respectful to other people.
    Christmas doesn't celebrate Jesus birthday like you think it does.

    . Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.
    B. The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).
    C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]
    D. The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday.
    E. Christians had little success, however, refining the practices of Saturnalia. As Stephen Nissenbaum, professor history at the University of Massachussetts, Amherst, writes, “In return for ensuring massive observance of the anniversary of the Savior’s birth by assigning it to this resonant date, the Church for its part tacitly agreed to allow the holiday to be celebrated more or less the way it had always been.” The earliest Christmas holidays were celebrated by drinking, sexual indulgence, singing naked in the streets (a precursor of modern caroling), etc.

  5. #25
    01001000 01101001 0011111

    Gold Member
    Suburbazine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,794
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    You making this thread is the same as me telling Suburbazine he doesn't need a plate carrier. Be a Libertarian and let the guy do what he wants, right?
    I fell out of my boat and dropped my guns somewhere out in the marsh. I rapidly found that I couldn't swim with the plate carrier so it joined the guns.


    You wish, anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinehyperlite View Post
    I like turtles.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Someone should go to his church and holla to everybody that Jesus is not real...lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lols, No he should have gone to a mosque and tell the Muslims that Muhammad isn't real. He will be beheaded live on youtube

  7. #27
    Marksman JoeLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Someone should go to his church and holla to everybody that Jesus is not real...lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL. Was thinking the same thing.
    "Kids, I want you to know that Jesus is not real. The true reason for the Christmas season is the shameless promotion of consumerism."

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mega-City One
    Posts
    4,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Suburbazine View Post
    You wish, anyways.
    What?

  9. #29
    Professional Amateur

    Premium Member
    oleheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pride aka Central, LA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    13,529
    What a jackass. Let them be children while they ARE children.

    I'm of the opinion that Jesus Himself would NOT approve, because it only serves at this time to hurt these kids.
    Sam
    Central/Pride, Evil Black Rifle Parish(EBR), LA

    “Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’"
    -Col. Jeff Cooper

  10. #30
    Marksman sliguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by oleheat View Post
    What a jackass. Let them be children while they ARE children.

    I'm of the opinion that Jesus Himself would NOT approve, because it only serves at this time to hurt these kids.
    +1
    "Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. America was born of protest, revolution and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long" - Ron Paul

    "I can sacrifice my liberties, and you can sacrifice yours, but I cannot sacrifice yours; neither can a majority in Congress sacrifice yours or mine." - Judge Andrew Napolitano

  11. #31
    Marksman

    Premium Member
    Firearmfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Acadia Parish
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by sliguns View Post
    +1
    +2
    "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

    "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"

  12. #32
    -Global Mod- whitsend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Transylvania, LA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,075
    Quote Originally Posted by 981GT4 View Post
    Christmas doesn't celebrate Jesus birthday like you think it does.

    . Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose *an enemy of the Roman people* to represent the *Lord of Misrule.* Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.
    B. The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).
    C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]
    D. The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday.
    E. Christians had little success, however, refining the practices of Saturnalia. As Stephen Nissenbaum, professor history at the University of Massachussetts, Amherst, writes, *In return for ensuring massive observance of the anniversary of the Savior’s birth by assigning it to this resonant date, the Church for its part tacitly agreed to allow the holiday to be celebrated more or less the way it had always been.* The earliest Christmas holidays were celebrated by drinking, sexual indulgence, singing naked in the streets (a precursor of modern caroling), etc.
    Let's start with some basic reading comprehension. I said "Jesus is the reason WE celebrate Christmas." You may celebrate other things on Christmas, and that's fine.

    Just to be clear, Christmas or Christ Mass (the mass of Christ), is the celebration of the birth of Christ. It was started as such and still remains that today. Now I know that December 25 was most likely not the date of the birth of Christ, shepherds probably wouldn't be out with the flock in winter, and Christians co-oped the time of other pagan holidays after many pagans converted to Christianity. I also know that Sunday is not the actual Sabbath, but it is the day we choose to celebrate the Sabbath. And that's fine too.
    I also know the over time Christmas has become over commercialized into what we have today, but as for me and my house, Jesus is the reason for the season.

    Also note the Saturnalia was originally celebrated on December 17. Winter solstice was celebrated on December 25. Saturnalia was usually celebrated over 7 days, ending on December 23. (whoever wrote the article you quoted needs to work on their math skills) At one point is was shortened to 3 days, them changed to 5 days, then back to 7. It seems they couldn't decide exactly when or for how long they wanted to celebrate. http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/...aturnalia.html

    True Christians have never celebrated Christmas by drinking, sexual indulgence, rape, or singing naked in the streets, because when we are Christ like we don't do those things. But should you choose to celebrate Saturnalia like that, go ahead, but if someone comes around my house looking to rape my family they will be shot. If they come drunk singing naked to may house they will be arrested. If your neighbors are ok with you singing naked in their yard, go for it and have a blast.

    Yes, many of the traditions that we associate with Christmas were taken from pagan traditions in many different parts of the world. And over the years many religious followers of some form of Christian based religions, who were not true Christians, have take this season to celebrate in ways that are not conducive to a Christian life style.
    But Jesus is still the reason we celebrate Christmas at my house.
    "Stop trying to fix the police, fix the ghetto." - Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke

  13. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mega-City One
    Posts
    4,979
    Quote Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
    And over the years many religious followers of some form of Christian based religions, who were not true Christians, have take this season to celebrate in ways that are not conducive to a Christian life style.
    True Christians? There are many denominations of Christianity. It is not for you to decide if people of another denomination are not "true Christians."

    Quote Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
    But Jesus is still the reason we celebrate Christmas at my house.
    That is all you had to say.

  14. #34
    Marksman UnseenUSPCompact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    495
    The reason for the season at your house may in fact be Jesus. That doesn't change the fact that you (unless you don't celebrate Christmas in any "traditional" way) use pagan traditions to celebrate his birth. At the end of the day Im not sure what that does for you. ::shrug::

  15. #35
    Marksman sliguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by UnseenUSPCompact View Post
    . At the end of the day Im not sure what that does for you. ::shrug::
    At a minimum it allows for the continued opportunity to proselytize his Christian Faith (during this time of year). Thereby effectively using a pagan holiday to further the Christian Faith.
    Last edited by sliguns; December 13th, 2016 at 10:19 AM.
    "Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. America was born of protest, revolution and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long" - Ron Paul

    "I can sacrifice my liberties, and you can sacrifice yours, but I cannot sacrifice yours; neither can a majority in Congress sacrifice yours or mine." - Judge Andrew Napolitano

  16. #36
    Marksman UnseenUSPCompact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by sliguns View Post
    At a minimum it allows for the continued opportunity to proselytize his Christian Faith (during this time of year). Thereby effectively using a pagan holiday to further the Christian Faith.
    What other un-Christian things are we allowed to do/use to promote Christianity?

  17. #37
    Marksman sliguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by UnseenUSPCompact View Post
    What other un-Christian things are we allowed to do/use to promote Christianity?
    I'm not sure substituting a Christian holiday in the place of a pagan one is un-Christian.
    "Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. America was born of protest, revolution and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long" - Ron Paul

    "I can sacrifice my liberties, and you can sacrifice yours, but I cannot sacrifice yours; neither can a majority in Congress sacrifice yours or mine." - Judge Andrew Napolitano

  18. #38
    Marksman UnseenUSPCompact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by sliguns View Post
    I'm not sure substituting a Christian holiday in the place of a pagan one is un-Christian.
    Its not that simple. All the symbology that we accept and love about Christmas is a direct picture and representation of pagan gods, worship of those gods, and sacrifices (sometimes human) to those gods. I grew up Christian, I celebrate Christmas, so don't feel like Im busting your balls for the sake of busting, Im generally interested how other people process it. Do you just ignore its origins or don't care?

  19. #39
    Marksman sliguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by UnseenUSPCompact View Post
    Its not that simple. All the symbology that we accept and love about Christmas is a direct picture and representation of pagan gods, worship of those gods, and sacrifices (sometimes human) to those gods.
    Please elaborate on each point above so I can make sure I understand the details.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnseenUSPCompact View Post
    I grew up Christian, I celebrate Christmas, so don't feel like Im busting your balls for the sake of busting, Im generally interested how other people process it. Do you just ignore its origins or don't care?
    A bit of both I suppose. I've looked into some of the origins a long time ago which some others mentioned here, and never really cared I guess...I instead focused on how we (my family) did things now.
    "Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. America was born of protest, revolution and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long" - Ron Paul

    "I can sacrifice my liberties, and you can sacrifice yours, but I cannot sacrifice yours; neither can a majority in Congress sacrifice yours or mine." - Judge Andrew Napolitano

  20. #40
    Marksman UnseenUSPCompact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by sliguns View Post
    A bit of both I suppose. I've looked into some of the origins a long time ago which some others mentioned here, and never really cared I guess...I instead focused on how we (my family) did things now.
    Eluding to facts and ignoring unpleasant things is human nature. Im not beating you up for it, just puts you in line with the average American voter. lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •