Anyone use M&P 15-22 Tacticool22 barrel nut conversion kit?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I just took my barrel nut off to send it out to be threaded. So when it gets back I am going to put the conversion nut on and put a different hand guard on it. I would do it for you but I am on the other side of the state.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Seeing as we are digging up old threads. I will add this for posterity.

So I got my threaded barrel back and used the standard barrel nut from Tacticool. This was a mistake on my part. When you use the standard adapter it left a huge gap between the handguard and the upper. I was using a free float handguard that had a rim inside to stop it from seating farther down on the barrel nut. So it left that huge gap. I looked on the tacticool website and they have a modified adapter that allows the barrel nut to side farther back on the adapter and therefore it is closer to the upper. I did have to cut off some of the handguard bottom screw clamp to get the tight fit I wanted but it now looks awesome with the 15" handguard.

The mistake on the barrel nut adapter purchase was all mine and I will say that Tacticool went out of their way to help me figure out what the issue was and also worked with me to figure out ways to resolve the issue. I decided to plunk down another $20 for the modified adapter but that was because I bought the original one through Amazon and did not know that tacticool had another adapter until I went on their website.

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Do you mind throwing up some pictures so we can see what your talking about? Thinking of doing the same thing to my ar22

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    The tacticool kit is for the M&P15-22 specifically with a regular AR and 22 conversion you don't run into the same issue. But what happened with me is that due to the manufacturer specific setup of the 15-22 I had to use their modified barrel nut to get the aftermarket handguard to work on the 15-22 upper.

Here is the link to the standard version:

https://www.tacticool22.com/product/sw-mp15-22-free-float-handguard-converter-standard/

and this is the modified:

https://www.tacticool22.com/product/sw-mp15-22-free-float-handguard-converter-modified/

What happened was that on the standard version the threads start higher up and the nut I used for the handguard was not seated allt he way down and caused the nut to hit a shelf that was left on the inside of the handguard when it was reamed out to make it the same diameter as the barrel nut it came with in the package. With the modified adapter the thread start lower so the handguard nut was lower and fit up flush against the receiver and this allowed teh handguard to slide over the hanguard barrel nut so that it was flush on the upper. I did have to grind off some of the material on the handguard where the screws go that tighten the handguard on the barrel nut but that was fine and I am happy with the fit.

The reason you need the Tacticool adapter for the 15-22 is that the barrel nut that comes with the rifle is proprietary and is smaller than normal so you replace the barrel nut that comes with the 15-22 with the tacticool one and it allows you put a normal AR barrel nut over the adpater so you can mount your handguard of choice.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Airman
    Top Bottom