Mulefoot Hogs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    North Texas
    Just curious, I have been fortunate enough to kill 4 feral mulefoot hogs in north Texas. I understand there are some in east Texas, and then a few other parts of the country. Have any of y'all killed a mulefoot hog and if so, in what parts of the state?

IMG-20111223-00217.jpg

100_1770reduced.jpg

100_2778.jpg

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Never heard of them. Googled it and supposedly the meat is much better and they are rare and almost endangered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    North Texas
    Very cool Gator! Not a syndacyl hog like mine, but apparently a throwback hog, reverting back to having all 5 fingers and toes. Generally speaking on cloven hooved animals, the thumb/big toe (first phalange) is lost evolutionarily and the index (#2) and pinky (#5) are relegated to being dew claws.

I like all the neat variations, but the only ones I have killed are the mulefoots, hence why I was asking about them. I am not sure how well that paddle-footed hog you posted moved around (maybe just fine?), but the mulefoot condition does not seem to negatively impact walking or running at all.

I hate to admit it, but I was on the phone with a buddy, trying to work out an issue he was having. The call should have come in earlier, but it didn't. Nothing had been going on all evening as it was chilly and windy. I had seen a deer and two coons in 3 hours, so I took the call. Of course, that is when the hog showed up...

Googled it and supposedly the meat is much better and they are rare and almost endangered.

Yeah, the breed is almost extinct, now considered a heritage breed. The mulefoot condition does occur naturally by mutation, but also is hereditary (hence being able to make a breed) and I am convinced there must have been a mulefoot farm in the area historically where I hunt to account for the 4 I have shot, but have not been able to track that down. At one point (1930s), there were several hundred registered herds in the US and Canada with registered hogs being sold off individually to ranches, ostensibly for breeding. For example, there was just one registered breeder in Texas in 1916, but a dozen or so registered mulefoots were sold to ranches across Texas. So no telling how many folks were raising crossbred mulefoots. I am sort of surprised we don't see more in the feral population. There were also some in Louisiana, one of whom may be my ancestor in Ellendale.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom