Bring out the big guns?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I posted here since It applies to fun factor only.
    Is it just to much bang to be fun? That is respect to banging out some rounds from a really big gun. {IE} 50BMG, 460S&W, 500 S&W etc.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Some like it some don't.
    The first S&W 500 I shot was at Barney's range in Lafayette. We were there as part of a bachelor party renting a few full autos. I knew we were going to be safe but probably obnoxious so the first thing I did was tell the two older gentlemen next to us what was about to be happening, they appreciated the courtesy and said it would not be an issue. A few hundred rounds later we were taking a break and began talking to the shooters next to us again and offered them a few mags through our rentals which they enjoyed. A little later the RO told everyone there would be a couple of guys would be firing a 500 on the rifle lanes but the concussion would be quite strong if anyone wanted to step out. Most did, I followed the gentlemen over to the rifle lanes and watched them fire off 2 impressively powerful shots each. They offered me the opportunity to fire it so i told them I would gladly buy a box of ammo for the chance to shoot it. Sadly Barney's didn't stock 500 ammo but they said I could shoot all I wanted of theirs because they had no intentions to shoot again anytime soon. It blew away the .41 mag and .454 they were also shooting !
    Since then I have bought my own S&W 500 mostly to bring to shooting get togethers so others can experience it. It's probably about 50/50 of those who enjoy it and those who don't.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    One year at Pat Taylor's L.E.A.D. I took a spin the S&W .500 and .460. The rep loaded two rounds in the .500, full lug barrel, and those kicked up pretty good and all was well. He then loaded the .460, which had a longer but not full lug, heavy barrel, with one each of .45 LC, .454 Cassull, and .460 that it can fire. With such a large gun, the .45 LC was not really a big deal, the .454 gave a strong flip, and the .460 left my palm feeling like I'd held my hand out to try and catch the swing of a professional baseball player going for the far fence. I have a 2.5 inch .44 Mag that packs a good punch, I think I'll stick with that as my limit, and I don't feel the least bit unmanly for it.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    When it comes to handguns, .44mag is the sweet spot for me. My favorite. Every round is just enough bang to be an event, yet still manageable enough for serious target practice. It never gets boring and it never hurts enough to make me flinch.

Anything beyond that (I have .454 Cassull and .460 S&W revolvers) is good for a few rounds per year, but feels like it would do actual damage in the long run.

Even for handgun hunting, I keep it within bow range, and there isn't any critter in Louisiana that needs more killing than a .44mag can deliver at that distance.

That doesn't mean I don't like the big guns. I still want a .45/70 Magnum Research revolver. When I get it, I'll blow up a watermelon once, have a good laugh, and go back to the .44mag.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom